The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 03:23pm
In Time Out

POI, double foul question

A has the ball and then loose ball and A1 and B1 foul each other. Does ball go back to A?

A Inbounds play and A2 and B2 foul each other. AP or POI there? What if the ball has been released and there is no control?
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
A has the ball and then loose ball and A1 and B1 foul each other. Does ball go back to A?

A Inbounds play and A2 and B2 foul each other. AP or POI there? What if the ball has been released and there is no control?

1) "loose ball" isn't defined, so the question can't be answered. Use terms like "team control".

2) What does 4-POI say about a double foul during "such activity or if a team is entitled to such?"
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 05:10pm
In Time Out

got it, nice thread about it from before that I forgot. Team A retains ball.

"The ball goes back to A for a throw-in. The AP arrow does not figure into this at all.

NFHS 4-36-2-b "A free throw or a throw-in when the interruption occurred during this activity or if a team is entitled to such."

The interruption occurred during the throw-in. The POI is the throw-in."

"Scrapper1 posted this a few weeks ago. I haven't had time to go through all the various permutations, but I think it works:

If the double foul happens:
a) during a free throw or throwin, you resume with the free throw or throwin;
b) after a foul or violation, then you resume by administering the penalty for the foul or violation;
c) while the ball's in play and there's team control, then you simply give a throwin to the team in control;
d) when there is no team control, and there's no way to know who would have gotten the ball, then,
and only then, you go to the possession arrow. "

and if the ball has been put in play and touched but no control then that would be AP.

Throw-in, Double Foul
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
got it, nice thread about it from before that I forgot. Team A retains ball.

"The ball goes back to A for a throw-in. The AP arrow does not figure into this at all.

NFHS 4-36-2-b "A free throw or a throw-in when the interruption occurred during this activity or if a team is entitled to such."

The interruption occurred during the throw-in. The POI is the throw-in."

"Scrapper1 posted this a few weeks ago. I haven't had time to go through all the various permutations, but I think it works:

If the double foul happens:
a) during a free throw or throwin, you resume with the free throw or throwin;
b) after a foul or violation, then you resume by administering the penalty for the foul or violation;
c) while the ball's in play and there's team control, then you simply give a throwin to the team in control;
d) when there is no team control, and there's no way to know who would have gotten the ball, then,
and only then, you go to the possession arrow. "

and if the ball has been put in play and touched but no control then that would be AP.

Throw-in, Double Foul
Basically, a double foul is like an inadvertent whistle except two players (and their teams) get charged with fouls.... Nothing to see here folks, just continue what you were doing or going to do. If it was indeterminate, go AP.

I dislike lists when it is possible to express a rule as principle. Principles will (almost) always get you to the right result no matter the situation...even new ones that might pop up. Just have to memorized the exceptions (sometimes known as bad interpretations ).