The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 598
JH tonight

Tonight I'm officiating JH/Fresh games. The kicker... I got the same JH team from Friday that had that injured player who turned out to have broken his wrist. Gonna be a lot of hatred, and I'm expecting their fans to be there as the two schools are within 5 miles of each other. Could be ugly tonight, I feel bad for my partner already haha.

I'll treat it just as any other game though, go in without any influence of past games. I may go over to the coach of the Freshmen team and ask how his player is doing, but other than that I can't let last week's game affect me tonight. For sure though, if there's any flopping, I'm taking care of business as I didn't last Friday.

EDIT: The ejected scorekeeper will probably be there too... this will be fun!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 751
The fact that you are posting about it speaks volumes.


You are not the show. The kids are.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,001
Yes, the fact that you are posting about it (and what you're posting about) makes me think that you're not really approaching this as "just another game."
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
I may go over to the coach of the Freshmen team and ask how his !
Not recommended to even do this cause you could be kicking a loose pile. The fact that you did not enforce flopping all night ultimately lead indirectly to the kid breaking his wrist. While it seems to be a nice gesture on your part, what are you going to do if he says, "How do you think he is doing? He is going to miss the rest of this season because of a broken wrist that you should have prevented had you enforced the rules of the game. I hope you don't get anymore of my players hurt tonight!"

If you stay on this game, I would keep my mouth shut, only speak the bare minimum, enforce the rules (paying close attention to those regarding player safety) and get out of there.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 06:23pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Heed the Junkie's advice. It's good stuff.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
The fact that you are posting about it speaks volumes.


You are not the show. The kids are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Yes, the fact that you are posting about it (and what you're posting about) makes me think that you're not really approaching this as "just another game."
What do either of you mean by this? I'm not sensing sarcasm here, especially with fiasco's post. I'm taking it as it is a good thing I was posting about this, or are you guys telling me to stfu? Just curious.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 08:23pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
They're suggesting that since you're posting about it, it's evidence you're overly concerned. I disagree, FWIW.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBall_Junkie View Post
Not recommended to even do this cause you could be kicking a loose pile. The fact that you did not enforce flopping all night ultimately lead indirectly to the kid breaking his wrist. While it seems to be a nice gesture on your part, what are you going to do if he says, "How do you think he is doing? He is going to miss the rest of this season because of a broken wrist that you should have prevented had you enforced the rules of the game. I hope you don't get anymore of my players hurt tonight!"

If you stay on this game, I would keep my mouth shut, only speak the bare minimum, enforce the rules (paying close attention to those regarding player safety) and get out of there.
I did heed this advice tonight. After the game, I shook both coaches hands and said "good game". Didn't seem to be any bad blood other than the fact that his team lost in a really good and well-played game.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
I did heed this advice tonight. After the game, I shook both coaches hands and said "good game". Didn't seem to be any bad blood other than the fact that his team lost in a really good and well-played game.
Why did you stay around to shake the coaches' hands?
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Why did you stay around to shake the coaches' hands?
I'm not worried about the GIGDGO "law" when it is JH unless necessary (like Friday night's JH last week). It was a good night for us, and I did it out of respect. For JV and Varsity though, I don't do that. Once that last second ticks off the clock, I'm out of that gym.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 01:04am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
I'm not worried about the GIGDGO "law" when it is JH unless necessary (like Friday night's JH last week). It was a good night for us, and I did it out of respect. For JV and Varsity though, I don't do that. Once that last second ticks off the clock, I'm out of that gym.
It's not a law (GIGDGO refers to something else, BTW), it's a "best practice." It prevents uncomfortable situations and otherwise unnecessary Ts.

What happens if you do this and one coach decides to tells you to go self-consummate?

90% of the time, you'll have nothing. It just takes that one time, though, and it's best avoided, IMO. If it's what everyone does in your area, I suppose.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 01:07am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
I'm not worried about the GIGDGO "law" when it is JH unless necessary (like Friday night's JH last week). It was a good night for us, and I did it out of respect. For JV and Varsity though, I don't do that. Once that last second ticks off the clock, I'm out of that gym.
So when it's not a good night you don't hang around?

Thing is, you never know if it's a good night or not. I could have the best freaking game ever and some chucklehead coach could want to start something. It's bad practice to stay. Horn goes, move quickly off the floor to your dressing room. Period. That way when you have a ****storm, you don't look any different hustling off the court than on any other night.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 01:38am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
It's not a law (GIGDGO refers to something else, BTW)
hence I put law in quotes.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 01:39am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
hence I put law in quotes.
I guess I was just emphasizing that GIGDGO refers to working with a bad partner, not our end-of-game trot off the court. Not that I'm against creative use of various catch phrases.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 02:15am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I guess I was just emphasizing that GIGDGO refers to working with a bad partner, not our end-of-game trot off the court. Not that I'm against creative use of various catch phrases.
Well, with what I heard about my partner tonight it was going to be a GIGDGO moment, but he actually didn't do bad for his 2nd year. He's about in my spot when I was 2nd year. Gave him some tips and told him to take it FWIW...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A little bit of everything tonight... bas2456 Basketball 0 Thu Jan 14, 2010 08:07pm
did we get this right tonight? representing Basketball 24 Sun Jan 10, 2010 07:52am
It's All Over Tonight Welpe Football 0 Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:46pm
Had an IW tonight ChickenOfNC Football 19 Sun Oct 29, 2006 07:27pm
Tonight - 1:15 and out. mick Basketball 23 Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:46pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1