The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   JH tonight (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56755-jh-tonight.html)

representing Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:47pm

JH tonight

Tonight I'm officiating JH/Fresh games. The kicker... I got the same JH team from Friday that had that injured player who turned out to have broken his wrist. Gonna be a lot of hatred, and I'm expecting their fans to be there as the two schools are within 5 miles of each other. Could be ugly tonight, I feel bad for my partner already haha.

I'll treat it just as any other game though, go in without any influence of past games. I may go over to the coach of the Freshmen team and ask how his player is doing, but other than that I can't let last week's game affect me tonight. For sure though, if there's any flopping, I'm taking care of business as I didn't last Friday.

EDIT: The ejected scorekeeper will probably be there too... this will be fun!

asdf Wed Jan 27, 2010 02:49pm

The fact that you are posting about it speaks volumes.

You are not the show. The kids are.

fiasco Wed Jan 27, 2010 02:59pm

Yes, the fact that you are posting about it (and what you're posting about) makes me think that you're not really approaching this as "just another game."

BBall_Junkie Wed Jan 27, 2010 05:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 655960)
I may go over to the coach of the Freshmen team and ask how his !

Not recommended to even do this cause you could be kicking a loose pile. The fact that you did not enforce flopping all night ultimately lead indirectly to the kid breaking his wrist. While it seems to be a nice gesture on your part, what are you going to do if he says, "How do you think he is doing? He is going to miss the rest of this season because of a broken wrist that you should have prevented had you enforced the rules of the game. I hope you don't get anymore of my players hurt tonight!"

If you stay on this game, I would keep my mouth shut, only speak the bare minimum, enforce the rules (paying close attention to those regarding player safety) and get out of there.

Adam Wed Jan 27, 2010 06:23pm

Heed the Junkie's advice. It's good stuff.

representing Wed Jan 27, 2010 08:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf (Post 656001)
The fact that you are posting about it speaks volumes.

You are not the show. The kids are.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 656008)
Yes, the fact that you are posting about it (and what you're posting about) makes me think that you're not really approaching this as "just another game."

What do either of you mean by this? I'm not sensing sarcasm here, especially with fiasco's post. I'm taking it as it is a good thing I was posting about this, or are you guys telling me to stfu? Just curious.

Adam Wed Jan 27, 2010 08:23pm

They're suggesting that since you're posting about it, it's evidence you're overly concerned. I disagree, FWIW.

representing Wed Jan 27, 2010 08:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBall_Junkie (Post 656062)
Not recommended to even do this cause you could be kicking a loose pile. The fact that you did not enforce flopping all night ultimately lead indirectly to the kid breaking his wrist. While it seems to be a nice gesture on your part, what are you going to do if he says, "How do you think he is doing? He is going to miss the rest of this season because of a broken wrist that you should have prevented had you enforced the rules of the game. I hope you don't get anymore of my players hurt tonight!"

If you stay on this game, I would keep my mouth shut, only speak the bare minimum, enforce the rules (paying close attention to those regarding player safety) and get out of there.

I did heed this advice tonight. After the game, I shook both coaches hands and said "good game". Didn't seem to be any bad blood other than the fact that his team lost in a really good and well-played game.

zm1283 Wed Jan 27, 2010 09:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 656156)
I did heed this advice tonight. After the game, I shook both coaches hands and said "good game". Didn't seem to be any bad blood other than the fact that his team lost in a really good and well-played game.

Why did you stay around to shake the coaches' hands?

representing Wed Jan 27, 2010 09:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 656162)
Why did you stay around to shake the coaches' hands?

I'm not worried about the GIGDGO "law" when it is JH unless necessary (like Friday night's JH last week). It was a good night for us, and I did it out of respect. For JV and Varsity though, I don't do that. Once that last second ticks off the clock, I'm out of that gym.

Adam Thu Jan 28, 2010 01:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 656164)
I'm not worried about the GIGDGO "law" when it is JH unless necessary (like Friday night's JH last week). It was a good night for us, and I did it out of respect. For JV and Varsity though, I don't do that. Once that last second ticks off the clock, I'm out of that gym.

It's not a law (GIGDGO refers to something else, BTW), it's a "best practice." It prevents uncomfortable situations and otherwise unnecessary Ts.

What happens if you do this and one coach decides to tells you to go self-consummate?

90% of the time, you'll have nothing. It just takes that one time, though, and it's best avoided, IMO. If it's what everyone does in your area, I suppose.

Rich Thu Jan 28, 2010 01:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 656164)

So when it's not a good night you don't hang around?

Thing is, you never know if it's a good night or not. I could have the best freaking game ever and some chucklehead coach could want to start something. It's bad practice to stay. Horn goes, move quickly off the floor to your dressing room. Period. That way when you have a ****storm, you don't look any different hustling off the court than on any other night.

representing Thu Jan 28, 2010 01:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 656207)
It's not a law (GIGDGO refers to something else, BTW)

hence I put law in quotes.:)

Adam Thu Jan 28, 2010 01:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 656219)
hence I put law in quotes.:)

:) I guess I was just emphasizing that GIGDGO refers to working with a bad partner, not our end-of-game trot off the court. Not that I'm against creative use of various catch phrases. :)

representing Thu Jan 28, 2010 02:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 656220)
:) I guess I was just emphasizing that GIGDGO refers to working with a bad partner, not our end-of-game trot off the court. Not that I'm against creative use of various catch phrases. :)

Well, with what I heard about my partner tonight it was going to be a GIGDGO moment, but he actually didn't do bad for his 2nd year. He's about in my spot when I was 2nd year. Gave him some tips and told him to take it FWIW...