The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Pre-Game With Captains

I am a fairly new Official (3 years) doing JV and Frosh games this year. The more experienced officials I have worked with have not done a captains meeting prior to the game. Should there be a captains meeting at this level? If I were to initiate the meeting what is the common things that are covered? I think I have a good idea but would like to hear from the more experienced.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargil View Post
I am a fairly new Official (3 years) doing JV and Frosh games this year. The more experienced officials I have worked with have not done a captains meeting prior to the game. Should there be a captains meeting at this level?
Depends on your area -- and it sounds like the answer might be "no."

Quote:
If I were to initiate the meeting what is the common things that are covered? I think I have a good idea but would like to hear from the more experienced.
Ask the captains if they have any questions. They won't.

Follow whatever state-mandated "legally equipped" and "sportsmanship" protocol exists in your state.

Tell them to have fun.

Total time: <30 seconds.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am a fairly new Official (3 years) doing JV and Frosh games this year. The more experienced officials I have worked with have not done a captains meeting prior to the game. Should there be a captains meeting at this level? If I were to initiate the meeting what is the common things that are covered? I think I have a good idea but would like to hear from the more experienced.
I am surprised that a captains meeting is not done with your JV games. Basically, find out who your speaking captain is, let the captains know they are responsible for their teammate's behavior, emphasize sportsmanship and respect for each other and have fun. Nothing to long, they don't listen anyways.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 08:58am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I do Captain's Meetings (and Coaches Meetings) at every level to include Rec Ball......even in my 12U League. I find it gets everyone, including me and my P's in a good mind set.

Agree with others - Be Brief, Be Bright, Be gone.

Basic - Gentlemen/Ladies - introduce yourselves (hand shakes), I'm Mr. G, this is Mr. U1 and Mr. U2, we'll be your official's today. Sportsmanship at all times. (speaking captains if I must at F/JV/V). Shirts in/pants up. Questions? Good luck have fun.

I'll elaborate at certain levels/leagues/gyms a bit - jewelry (if I've already caught a bunch of players during warmups), dealing with short out of bounds areas and giving room for inbound play, or weird table locations and reporting to enter the game.

Overall though - 30 seconds tops.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

At the high school level, we always have them. Its a red flag that I have a lazy partner if I get any push back about having one. I rarely get that though.

This is my spiel:

Quote:
Ladies(Gentlemen) you have been selected captain for your leadership ability. Your job is sportsmanship. That means you know who your hotheads are. You keep control of your hotheads and we won't have to. If the ball rolls away from us have one of your teammates get it so that we can stay focused on the floor. Respect the game. Respect your ooponent. Respect the officials and have fun. Good Luck.

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 09:20am
This IS My Social Life

Mendy Rudolf's Top Ten . . .

Quote:
If I were to initiate the meeting what is the common things that are covered?

TOP TEN THINGS NOT TO SAY AT A CAPTAINS' MEETING:
10) "OK, tonight we're gonna play the black line all the way around." (other nights we play the wall as OOB, but not tonight)
9) "Which of your players wear contacts?"
8) "Girls, be sure not to hang on the rim when you dunk"
7) "Your jersey color is interesting. Can we call you "Aquamarine" tonight?"
6) "Are you guys really as lousy as your record suggests?"
5) "Which of you are the 'speaking captains'?" (there ain't no such thing; there are two captains--the others are merely ceremonial and ornamental; any player may speak to you if done politely)
4) "Play defense straight up and don't be reaching in tonight." (what other coaching tips would you like to waste time giving in a pregame?)
3) "This partner of mine is new to this level of basketball; go easy on him today, okay?"
2) "I like your coach. Could you get her phone number for me?"
1) (THIS RESPONSE RESERVED FOR PADGETT OR BILLYMAC)
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=bob jenkins;655837]

QUOTE]

I've been having an ongoing conversation with my high school crew about asking for questions. I'm not a fan. One time, working a lower level game, I asked for questions and some coach, don't remember the level, wants to ask about a ruling on a play from the night before. Made for an uncomfortable conversation because it took too long and I was obviously only getting a one sided description of the play. 99.999999% of the time you aren't going to get a question, but to me, the one time they might have something for you, the pregame isn't the place for a rules meeting. Anyway, just my $.02.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=doubleringer;655879]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

QUOTE]

I've been having an ongoing conversation with my high school crew about asking for questions. I'm not a fan. One time, working a lower level game, I asked for questions and some coach, don't remember the level, wants to ask about a ruling on a play from the night before. Made for an uncomfortable conversation because it took too long and I was obviously only getting a one sided description of the play. 99.999999% of the time you aren't going to get a question, but to me, the one time they might have something for you, the pregame isn't the place for a rules meeting. Anyway, just my $.02.
"Coach, I meant questions about tonight's game."
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Still working on mine, but here's how it went last night...

Introduce yourselves.

Coaches are your players properly equipped? Yes

We expect good sportsmanship. White you talk to white, blue you talk to blue.

Coaches when you request timeout let us know 30 or full so we don't have to interrupt your huddle.

Questions? No

Good luck!
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=bob jenkins;655894]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleringer View Post

"Coach, I meant questions about tonight's game."
Good answer. I like it.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 07:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When In New Jersey, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Or Florida ...

The National High School Federation and your state association require officials to enforce sportsmanship rules. High school athletics emphasize positive values. All of us have worked hard to create a sense of teamwork, respect, responsibility and perspective. We remind you that we expect good behavior and will quickly penalize misconduct. We encourage and appreciate your help. Let the competition reflect mutual respect among participants and officials. Coaches please certify that your players are legally equipped and uniformed according the NFHS rules. Good luck and have a great contest! (New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, Kentucky High School Athletic Association)

"PIAA requires all registered sports' officials to enforce the sportsmanship rules for coaches and contestants. Actions meant to demean opposing players, team, spectators and officials are not in the highest ideals of interscholastic education and will not be tolerated. Let today's contest reflect mutual respect. Coaches please certify to the umpire that your players are legally equipped and uniformed according to NFHS rules. Good luck in today's contest." (Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association)

To captains: The FHSAA requires officials to enforce all rules regarding unsportsmanlike conduct by players and coaches. Violators will be ejected. It is strongly suggested that you remind your teammates and coaches
of this policy. Additionally, this is a simple reminder that jewelry is not allowed, and jerseys must be tucked in during play if they are designed to be worn in. To coaches: Coaches, do you certify that your players are properly equipped and will demonstrate sportsmanlike behavior during today’s contest? (Florida High School Activities Association)

Coaches and captains meeting at 5:00: Players properly equipped, Players wearing uniforms properly, Practice good sportsmanship, Adhere to the restrictions, as well as the privileges, of the coaching box. (BillyMac)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 07:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I've never not had a meeting at the hs level, and they vary from "black lines wha wha wha blah blah...." to "put the ball in the hole and let's play ball." But that's my area. If your area doesn't expect it, it's up to you.

It could be one of two things:
1. It's not expected and the powers that be aren't concerned about it.
2. This is one of the reasons these folks are still working F/JV in your area.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
Ladies or Gentlemen.

"This MY court, MY game! You will speak ONLY when you are spoken to. (hitch up my pants)....You WILL NOT argue calls. You WILL stop when you hear the whistle! There is no place for whining on this court. Do you have any questions?....(silence)....I CAN'T HEAR YOU !......(no questions)..... OK, let's play basketball ! "
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

I've stopped asking for speaking captains at the captain's meeting for about a week or so now. I've gotten several funny looks, a head coach asking if we need to know who the speaking captains are, and players pulling their shooting shirts up to show me their numbers without me even asking.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 02:38am
Official Forum Member

To the OP: We just "Got Toh-oh-ode" at our association meeting on Monday night, that we MUST have captains' meetings, and coaches' meetings at every level of game. We were told that if we are the U, and the R doesn't do it, we should.

I think it helps my partner and me as much as anyone, to have an attitude of taking the game seriously, and giving my best. In some ways it may seem meaningless, but there is a place for ritual in human society, and I think this is a good one.