The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 01:19am
#thereferee99

What can they do now?

Team A passing the ball in the front court, ball batted by B1 into back court.
A1 is the only player pursuing the ball, near the sideline in the back court. A1 starts a dribble, actually toward opponents end line. Takes 2 dribbles and realizes that he is losing his balance and will soon go OOB. A1 pushes the ball to the floor one last time and then his momentum carries him out of bounds.

No other players are in the back court. A1 then regains balance, and returns to the floor. What can he now do?

Catch the ball? Resume his dribble?

Any difference if he dribbles the ball off of his leg and goes out of bounds?
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 01:33am
We don't rent pigs

He can return inbounds and do anything he could have done had he not gone out in the first place. Dribbling the ball off his own leg would not change this.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
He can return inbounds and do anything he could have done had he not gone out in the first place. Dribbling the ball off his own leg would not change this.
Correct. Why people believe that there is something amiss on such a play is baffling to me.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a player going OOB due to momentum. There is no penalty whatsoever associated with this.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 01:44am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Correct. Why people believe that there is something amiss on such a play is baffling to me.
Yep. This is one of those where a buzz goes through the crowd. One side points and says "Hey! He can't do that...........can he?"

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 02:09am
#thereferee99

9.3.1.Note?

Quote:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a player going OOB due to momentum. There is no penalty whatsoever associated with this.
He's no longer a dribbler when he steps out? I can see an interrupted dribble when off their leg, but in original stich, player bounced the ball with every intention to return to it. Is that "momentarily getting away" from the dribbler?
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 02:20am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
He's no longer a dribbler when he steps out? I can see an interrupted dribble when off their leg, but in original stich, player bounced the ball with every intention to return to it. Is that "momentarily getting away" from the dribbler?
If he is clearly in control of the dribble it is a violation when he steps out. In the OP when the dribbler lost his balance I pictured him also losing control of the ball.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 02:22am
#thereferee99

more of a...

Quote:
If he is clearly in control of the dribble it is a violation when he steps out. In the OP when the dribbler lost his balance I pictured him also losing control of the ball.
... leaving the ball in a spot. One last bounce, like, "you stay here, I'll be right back"
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 02:28am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
... leaving the ball in a spot. One last bounce, like, "you stay here, I'll be right back"
Judgment call. Did he lose control before he went out of bounds, or did he voluntarily abandon the dribble after he stepped out of bounds?

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 02:28am
#thereferee99

I supose you could make the case...

... that a player leaving a dribble behind (abandoning like you suggest) and then returning to it is a momentary loss of control, whether they intended to or not.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 02:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with purposely relinquishing player control before falling OOB and then returning and either catching the ball or continuing the dribble. It's legal either way. Just watch for a double-dribble (illegal 2nd dribble) violation.

Please review the following plays from the Case Book. They should straighten this out for you.

7.1.1 SITUATION B: A1 blocks a pass near the end line. The ball falls to the
floor inbounds, but A1, who is off balance, steps off the court. A1 returns
inbounds, secures control of the ball and dribbles. RULING: Legal. A1 did not
leave the court voluntarily and did not have control of the ball when he/she did.
This situation is similar to one in which A1 makes a try from under the basket and
momentum carries A1 off the court. If the try is unsuccessful, A1 may come back
onto the court and regain control since A1 did not leave the court voluntarily and
did not have control of the ball when he/she did.
7.1.1 SITUATION C: A1 blocks a pass near the sideline and the ball goes into
A1’s front court. A1’s momentum carries him/her out of bounds. He/she immediately
returns inbounds, secures control of the ball, dribbles, shoots, and scores.
RULING: Legal. (4-35-1a; 7-1-2; 9-3)
7.1.1 SITUATION D: A1 jumps from inbounds to retrieve an errant pass near a
boundary line. A1 catches the ball while in the air and tosses it back to the court.
A1 lands out of bounds and (a) is the first to touch the ball after returning
inbounds; (b) returns inbounds and immediately dribbles the ball; or (c) picks up
the ball after returning to the court and then begins a dribble. RULING: Legal in
(a) and (b). Illegal in (c) as the controlled toss of the ball to the court by A1 constitutes
the start of a dribble, dribbling a second time after picking up the ball is
an illegal dribble violation. (4-15-5; 4-15-6d; 4-35; 9-5)
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 02:33am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with purposely relinquishing player control before falling OOB and then returning and either catching the ball or continuing the dribble. It's legal either way. Just watch for a double-dribble (illegal 2nd dribble) violation.

Please review the following plays from the Case Book. They should straighten this out for you.

7.1.1 SITUATION B: A1 blocks a pass near the end line. The ball falls to the
floor inbounds, but A1, who is off balance, steps off the court. A1 returns
inbounds, secures control of the ball and dribbles. RULING: Legal. A1 did not
leave the court voluntarily and did not have control of the ball when he/she did.
This situation is similar to one in which A1 makes a try from under the basket and
momentum carries A1 off the court. If the try is unsuccessful, A1 may come back
onto the court and regain control since A1 did not leave the court voluntarily and
did not have control of the ball when he/she did.
7.1.1 SITUATION C: A1 blocks a pass near the sideline and the ball goes into
A1’s front court. A1’s momentum carries him/her out of bounds. He/she immediately
returns inbounds, secures control of the ball, dribbles, shoots, and scores.
RULING: Legal. (4-35-1a; 7-1-2; 9-3)
7.1.1 SITUATION D: A1 jumps from inbounds to retrieve an errant pass near a
boundary line. A1 catches the ball while in the air and tosses it back to the court.
A1 lands out of bounds and (a) is the first to touch the ball after returning
inbounds; (b) returns inbounds and immediately dribbles the ball; or (c) picks up
the ball after returning to the court and then begins a dribble. RULING: Legal in
(a) and (b). Illegal in (c) as the controlled toss of the ball to the court by A1 constitutes
the start of a dribble, dribbling a second time after picking up the ball is
an illegal dribble violation. (4-15-5; 4-15-6d; 4-35; 9-5)
None of these plays matches the OP, which involves a dribbler in control who subsequently goes out of bounds. It is necessary in this play to determine when the dribble became an interrupted dribble.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 02:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
None of these plays matches the OP, which involves a dribbler in control who subsequently goes out of bounds. It is necessary in this play to determine when the dribble became an interrupted dribble.
The principle is Sit D is the same as the interrupted dribble sitch of the OP. I do agree that the official must deem that player control was relinquished before the player stepped OOB.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

He only seemed to retain control of the ball because there was nobody else in the BC. As I'm envisioning this play, it's perfectly legal.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
He only seemed to retain control of the ball because there was nobody else in the BC. As I'm envisioning this play, it's perfectly legal.
mb,
While I don't disagree that this COULD be a legal play, it could also be a violation. The key judgment is was this an interupted dribble or not. If an interupted dribble (off the leg play is much clearer, in my opinion), then play is legal. If a player is dribbling, touches out of bounds, he is out of bounds and has committed a violation.

Without judgment, making a blanket statement that if the player "falls" or otherwise has his/her momentum carry him/her out of bounds, then retrieves the ball is ALWAYS legal, would mean that any time a dribbler looked down and saw his/her foot on a sideline/endline, he/she could simply "fall" out of bounds and immediately come back onto the court and continue dribbling. Judgment as to whether the dribble was actually interupted is important.
Old Sun Jan 02, 2011, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Case play

A1 blocks a pass near the end line. The ball falls to the floor inbounds, but A1 who is off balance steps off the court,. A1 returns inbounds secures control of the ball and dribbles.

Ruling LEGAL
A1 did not leave the court voluntarily and did not have control of the ball when he did.

This situation is similar to one in which A1 makes a try from under the basket and momentum carries A1 off the court. If the try is unsuccessful, A1 may com back onto the court and regain control since A1 did not leave the court voluntarily and did not have control of the ball when he did.

Almost the same play ...yes? (case play 7.1.1)