The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 12:47am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 552
Great Story, T on Cheerleaders

I have no idea if this is the correct action or not, but it's a great story!

Association meeting tonight, friend told a great story. Varsity girls, two teams with a lot of bad blood in the past, neither team particularly good. Visiting cheerleaders standing just off the endline behind home team's basket, doing a special cheer during every free throw. Ref (my friend) told them twice not to do it, that it was illegal. Partner also told them once. One of the refs then went to the cheerleading coach and told them it wasn't legal. They still kept doing it. Middle of second quarter, H1 goes up for a shot, takes a solid foul from V1, both go to the floor. H1 comes up swinging, V1 is ready to answer, refs rush in with the T's, AND THE CHEERLEADERS START TAUNTING!! Refs go in with T, V Coach goes crazy and gets a T.

H shot a lot of free throws!

That was just in the first half -- 38 fouls...
__________________
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 12:51am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
I have no problem with a T on the cheerleaders here. They were warned, they represent the school, etc.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 12:56am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Somewhere on the earth
Posts: 1,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
I have no idea if this is the correct action or not, but it's a great story!

Association meeting tonight, friend told a great story. Varsity girls, two teams with a lot of bad blood in the past, neither team particularly good. Visiting cheerleaders standing just off the endline behind home team's basket, doing a special cheer during every free throw. Ref (my friend) told them twice not to do it, that it was illegal. Partner also told them once. One of the refs then went to the cheerleading coach and told them it wasn't legal. They still kept doing it. Middle of second quarter, H1 goes up for a shot, takes a solid foul from V1, both go to the floor. H1 comes up swinging, V1 is ready to answer, refs rush in with the T's, AND THE CHEERLEADERS START TAUNTING!! Refs go in with T, V Coach goes crazy and gets a T.

H shot a lot of free throws!

That was just in the first half -- 38 fouls...
Serves the cheerleaders right, they're suppose to inspire the team, not cause fights.

Did the cheerleaders get ejected?
__________________
"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates"--Earvin "Magic" Johnson
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 12:59am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Serves the cheerleaders right, they're suppose to inspire the team, not cause fights.

Did the cheerleaders get ejected?
They'd be done in my game, that's for sure.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 01:37am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,789
Flaunting should be encouraged from the cheerleaders. Oh, that wasn't an "f".
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 01:48am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
They'd be done in my game, that's for sure.
I tend to agree to a point. Technically the cheerleaders for either team are part of the crowd, not part of the team. At first sign of a problem I'd have game management tell them to knock it off. If it continues, at the first dead ball opportunity stop the game and have game management remove them.

As for a T, I'm not inclined to go there immediately. Let game management deal with it as it is their responsibility....if that doesn't work, we always have the T to fall back on.....

In either case, a report definitely needs to go through channels to make sure the unacceptable conduct is reported to the state association and administrative personnel of the school involved.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons - for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 02:52am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
I tend to agree to a point. Technically the cheerleaders for either team are part of the crowd, not part of the team. At first sign of a problem I'd have game management tell them to knock it off. If it continues, at the first dead ball opportunity stop the game and have game management remove them.

As for a T, I'm not inclined to go there immediately. Let game management deal with it as it is their responsibility....if that doesn't work, we always have the T to fall back on.....

In either case, a report definitely needs to go through channels to make sure the unacceptable conduct is reported to the state association and administrative personnel of the school involved.
I thought about this. I'm wondering how home management is gonna have a lot of traction with visiting cheerleaders, especially when there's obviously so much problem between the teams already. I can't for the life of me understand why the cheerleading coach or even the bball coach didn't deal with this a LOT sooner!
__________________
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 03:25am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
I thought about this. I'm wondering how home management is gonna have a lot of traction with visiting cheerleaders, especially when there's obviously so much problem between the teams already. I can't for the life of me understand why the cheerleading coach or even the bball coach didn't deal with this a LOT sooner!
Juulie,


Bottom line, it's their responsibility.....if it ultimately takes a call to 911 to get it done, so be it.

The lack of prompt action on the part of the cheerleading coach also bothers me....OSAA and the school principal both need to get involved, IMHO. The bball coach not really paying attention I can maybe understand a little better.....after all, they spend a lot of their time focusing on yelling at the officials...

I didn't hear the story...which schools were involved?
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons - for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 07:38am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
I tend to agree to a point. Technically the cheerleaders for either team are part of the crowd, not part of the team. At first sign of a problem I'd have game management tell them to knock it off. If it continues, at the first dead ball opportunity stop the game and have game management remove them.

As for a T, I'm not inclined to go there immediately. Let game management deal with it as it is their responsibility....if that doesn't work, we always have the T to fall back on.....

In either case, a report definitely needs to go through channels to make sure the unacceptable conduct is reported to the state association and administrative personnel of the school involved.
Agree completely. It's game management's problem to deal with. You did your job by telling them to do their job. And you followed case book play 2.8.1.... so your butt is covered in case someone wants to whine later.

Excellent advice as to how to handle the situation imo.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 11:04am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
I tend to agree to a point. Technically the cheerleaders for either team are part of the crowd, not part of the team. At first sign of a problem I'd have game management tell them to knock it off. If it continues, at the first dead ball opportunity stop the game and have game management remove them.

As for a T, I'm not inclined to go there immediately. Let game management deal with it as it is their responsibility....if that doesn't work, we always have the T to fall back on.....

In either case, a report definitely needs to go through channels to make sure the unacceptable conduct is reported to the state association and administrative personnel of the school involved.
The cheerleaders are definitively part of the teams' supporters. They've already been warned, so I have no problem with the T here. If this taunting was the first thing they pulled, I'll simply have game management remove them.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 11:11am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,847
I'm having a tough time with a T on the cheerleaders. If they have already been warned and their "coach" has also been warned, I would likely just have them removed from the gym and play on.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 11:41am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WI
Posts: 825
here - cheerleaders consider themselves a team. I have no problem giving them a T or the boot. Game management might miss a single fan doing something from the stands - but should have done something about the cheerleaders on the floor - and if they didn't do their job - I would step in before things just got worse.

Than again - I have not had any sort of a soft spot in my heart for a cheerleader since I got jilted in the 7th grade!!
__________________
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 11:49am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
I thought about this. I'm wondering how home management is gonna have a lot of traction with visiting cheerleaders, especially when there's obviously so much problem between the teams already. I can't for the life of me understand why the cheerleading coach or even the bball coach didn't deal with this a LOT sooner!
You're wondering?

Me: Get those cheerleaders out of there.
Home AD: OK, no problem.
Me: (Wait.)
...
Me: Let's go.

The AD will handle this like any other situation with an unruly fan. They'll have them moved or removed. I can wait. I'm not getting personally involved, ever. The odds of me calling a technical are about zero.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 12:02pm
Huck Finn
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,347
I bet it would be pretty entertaining to watch those girls gather their sweats and everything to leave. Pom poms dragging the floor...
__________________
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." -- John Wooden
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Flaunting should be encouraged from the cheerleaders. Oh, that wasn't an "f".
Depends. Some of these cow town schools I do the cheerleaders are bigger than me.
__________________
"The soldier is the army."

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
a great story BEAREF Basketball 1 Wed Jan 20, 2010 02:08pm
OT - but a great story Mark Padgett Basketball 2 Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:29pm
Off topic - a great story Mark Padgett Basketball 9 Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:00am
Great story... Jurassic Referee Baseball 3 Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:23pm
Great story about Ed Hightower tjones1 Basketball 3 Wed Mar 09, 2005 02:48pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1