The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Line violation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56702-line-violation.html)

johnsonboys03 Mon Jan 25, 2010 02:34pm

Line violation

If player A1 attempts to step out of bounds after player B1 makes a basket but doesn't get out of bounds and inbounds the basketball that in turn was stolen by B2 and put in the basket. what would the call be. I blew it dead waived off the basket and called a line violation. Was I correct?

bbcof83 Mon Jan 25, 2010 02:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonboys03 (Post 655260)
If player A1 attempts to step out of bounds after player B1 makes a basket but doesn't get out of bounds and inbounds the basketball that in turn was stolen by B2 and put in the basket. what would the call be. I blew it dead waived off the basket and called a line violation. Was I correct?

Throw-in violation by A1. Anything that came after doesn't matter. B's ball for a throw-in nearest the point of the violation.

BktBallRef Mon Jan 25, 2010 02:39pm

Quote:

Yes, it's a throw-in violation. No such thing as a line violation. :)

johnsonboys03 Mon Jan 25, 2010 02:42pm

thank you!

Jurassic Referee Mon Jan 25, 2010 03:29pm

Quote:

Case book play 9.2.2SitC if you want to do some reading....

Indianaref Mon Jan 25, 2010 03:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 655283)
Case book play 9.2.2SitC if you want to do some reading....

Too easy

Refsmitty Mon Jan 25, 2010 03:53pm

Is it a violation if one of the feet is out of bounds while they hang the other over the end line?

Raymond Mon Jan 25, 2010 03:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refsmitty (Post 655294)
Is it a violation if one of the feet is out of bounds while they hang the other over the end line?

What do you think and why?

Refsmitty Mon Jan 25, 2010 03:56pm

I think it is and have called it once this year because the foot is breaking the plane - much like a free throw violation -

Mark Padgett Mon Jan 25, 2010 03:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refsmitty (Post 655296)
I think it is and have called it once this year because the foot is breaking the plane - much like a free throw violation -

So...if a player is holding the ball and they are standing on one foot inbounds and the other foot is "hanging" over the sideline, they are OOB? :confused:

Adam Mon Jan 25, 2010 03:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refsmitty (Post 655296)

Really? What rule does it violate?

Refsmitty Mon Jan 25, 2010 04:01pm

Good points - well taken

:eek:

Adam Mon Jan 25, 2010 04:08pm

Now, here's a play:

A1 OOB for a throw in, takes a running start and leaps over the line before releasing the throwin pass. By the time he releases the pass, both feet are definitively over the in bounds area.

Call?

Refsmitty Mon Jan 25, 2010 04:23pm

Based on what I learned from this thread -I would go with 'nothing', but I will do some reading on it as well.

Adam Mon Jan 25, 2010 04:27pm

Actually, I was thinking it's a violation based on leaving the throw-in spot.

However, I'm not positive, as the definition of throw-in spot only specifies width while pointedly stating there is no depth limitation. Since it doesn't say anything about having a boundary equal to the boundary line, I have to say you're right. It's nothing.