The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Who will my partner be?

I need a little advice about a situation. Is it OK for me to ask who my partner will be when I schedule a game? What do I do when I turn down a game so I don't have to work with a certain individual and the AD asks why I do not want to work with that person? I don't want to run down a fellow official but I do not agree with how he calls the game.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to StripesOhio
You should address that with your assignor or association.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 10:43pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripesOhio View Post
You should address that with your assignor or association.
+1
That's what the association is for.

If you're getting games scheduled through a school directly, then there's probably not much you can do except GIGDGO.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 10:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblanton View Post
I need a little advice about a situation. Is it OK for me to ask who my partner will be when I schedule a game? What do I do when I turn down a game so I don't have to work with a certain individual and the AD asks why I do not want to work with that person? I don't want to run down a fellow official but I do not agree with how he calls the game.
It sounds like you don't have an association who does your scheduling, so your only real option is to get a regular partner and schedule the games that way.

If you refuse to work with him, you're putting the AD in the position of having to choose between two different officials. My guess is the official who makes him choose will be the one who loses.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2010, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
If you refuse to work with him, you're putting the AD in the position of having to choose between two different officials. My guess is the official who makes him choose will be the one who loses.
Plus the AD already has the other guy on the game. He is not going to want to call back and say "I took you off the game, sorry"

Another way you can handle it.... "What date? Where? Do you know who I'm with? Ok, let me grab my book to see if I'm open." If you really don't like who your partner would be, just consider yourself closed for that game.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2010, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocDog249 View Post
Another way you can handle it.... "What date? Where? Do you know who I'm with? Ok, let me grab my book to see if I'm open." If you really don't like who your partner would be, just consider yourself closed for that game.
Probably the best advice. I ALWAYS find out who my partners are before accepting an assignment. As an independent contractor, I believe that I have that right. The partner is part of the working conditions.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2010, 02:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocDog249 View Post
Plus the AD already has the other guy on the game. He is not going to want to call back and say "I took you off the game, sorry"

Exactly what i would do. Get info, including partner, before accepting and rejecting, and make your decision based on that.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2010, 07:42am
Esteemed Forum Member

Soccer Mom ...

I believe that it would always be appropriate to ask who your partner is in order to possibly set up a carpool situation. If you do something else with that information, well, that's up to you.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 25, 2010, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblanton View Post
Please give me another chance, I'll try to do better.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2010, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Amazed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
+1
That's what the association is for.

If you're getting games scheduled through a school directly, then there's probably not much you can do except GIGDGO.
I am actually proud that I was able to figure out what this sentence meant!!!
I am NOT as old as I thought!!!
Old Mon Jan 25, 2010, 10:15am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Probably the best advice. I ALWAYS find out who my partners are before accepting an assignment. As an independent contractor, I believe that I have that right. The partner is part of the working conditions.
This will probably work, as long as you're not scheduled until after your partner. If you're scheduled first, it may not work so well.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2010, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
This will probably work, as long as you're not scheduled until after your partner. If you're scheduled first, it may not work so well.
My experience has been that ADs here in Indiana will ask you to provide a partner.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2010, 11:35am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
My experience has been that ADs here in Indiana will ask you to provide a partner.
Which solves the problem.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2010, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Wink

If you use the Arbiter (which we do) you can "screen" the co-officials off your list that you don't "jive" with for one reason or another....That keeps you innocent of having to be the bad guy in the assignors eyes.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2010, 02:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hohn View Post
If you use the Arbiter (which we do) you can "screen" the co-officials off your list that you don't "jive" with for one reason or another....That keeps you innocent of having to be the bad guy in the assignors eyes.
Not here. You can't see the officials here unless you've accepted the assignment in Arbiter. If you don't want to work with someone, block him.

Again, though, the OP seems to have to schedule his games directly with ADs, which presents more of a challenge with partners.