The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Who will my partner be? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56692-who-will-my-partner.html)

jsblanton Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:01pm

Who will my partner be?

I need a little advice about a situation. Is it OK for me to ask who my partner will be when I schedule a game? What do I do when I turn down a game so I don't have to work with a certain individual and the AD asks why I do not want to work with that person? I don't want to run down a fellow official but I do not agree with how he calls the game.

StripesOhio Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:28pm

You should address that with your assignor or association.

jTheUmp Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by StripesOhio (Post 655115)
You should address that with your assignor or association.

+1
That's what the association is for.

If you're getting games scheduled through a school directly, then there's probably not much you can do except GIGDGO.

Adam Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsblanton (Post 655107)
I need a little advice about a situation. Is it OK for me to ask who my partner will be when I schedule a game? What do I do when I turn down a game so I don't have to work with a certain individual and the AD asks why I do not want to work with that person? I don't want to run down a fellow official but I do not agree with how he calls the game.

It sounds like you don't have an association who does your scheduling, so your only real option is to get a regular partner and schedule the games that way.

If you refuse to work with him, you're putting the AD in the position of having to choose between two different officials. My guess is the official who makes him choose will be the one who loses.

LocDog249 Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 655128)
If you refuse to work with him, you're putting the AD in the position of having to choose between two different officials. My guess is the official who makes him choose will be the one who loses.

Plus the AD already has the other guy on the game. He is not going to want to call back and say "I took you off the game, sorry"

Another way you can handle it.... "What date? Where? Do you know who I'm with? Ok, let me grab my book to see if I'm open." If you really don't like who your partner would be, just consider yourself closed for that game.

Nevadaref Mon Jan 25, 2010 01:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LocDog249 (Post 655134)
Another way you can handle it.... "What date? Where? Do you know who I'm with? Ok, let me grab my book to see if I'm open." If you really don't like who your partner would be, just consider yourself closed for that game.

Probably the best advice. I ALWAYS find out who my partners are before accepting an assignment. As an independent contractor, I believe that I have that right. The partner is part of the working conditions.

representing Mon Jan 25, 2010 02:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LocDog249 (Post 655134)
Plus the AD already has the other guy on the game. He is not going to want to call back and say "I took you off the game, sorry"

Exactly what i would do. Get info, including partner, before accepting and rejecting, and make your decision based on that.

BillyMac Mon Jan 25, 2010 07:42am

Soccer Mom ...

I believe that it would always be appropriate to ask who your partner is in order to possibly set up a carpool situation. If you do something else with that information, well, that's up to you.

Indianaref Mon Jan 25, 2010 08:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsblanton (Post 655107)

Please give me another chance, I'll try to do better. :)

Bishopcolle Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:11am

Amazed!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 655121)
+1
That's what the association is for.

If you're getting games scheduled through a school directly, then there's probably not much you can do except GIGDGO.

I am actually proud that I was able to figure out what this sentence meant!!!
I am NOT as old as I thought!!!

Adam Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 655136)
Probably the best advice. I ALWAYS find out who my partners are before accepting an assignment. As an independent contractor, I believe that I have that right. The partner is part of the working conditions.

This will probably work, as long as you're not scheduled until after your partner. If you're scheduled first, it may not work so well.

Indianaref Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 655196)
This will probably work, as long as you're not scheduled until after your partner. If you're scheduled first, it may not work so well.

My experience has been that ADs here in Indiana will ask you to provide a partner.

Adam Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 655207)
My experience has been that ADs here in Indiana will ask you to provide a partner.

Which solves the problem.

Jeremy Hohn Mon Jan 25, 2010 02:43pm

If you use the Arbiter (which we do) you can "screen" the co-officials off your list that you don't "jive" with for one reason or another....That keeps you innocent of having to be the bad guy in the assignors eyes.

Adam Mon Jan 25, 2010 02:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy Hohn (Post 655266)
If you use the Arbiter (which we do) you can "screen" the co-officials off your list that you don't "jive" with for one reason or another....That keeps you innocent of having to be the bad guy in the assignors eyes.

Not here. You can't see the officials here unless you've accepted the assignment in Arbiter. If you don't want to work with someone, block him.

Again, though, the OP seems to have to schedule his games directly with ADs, which presents more of a challenge with partners.