The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 03:40am
Do not give a damn!!

I cannot say NEVER on this one again.

Had a game tonight where at halftime we have a fight. We ejected two players and probably could have ejected more, but things happened so fast it was hard to tell who did what. After all we called almost 30 fouls in the first half. I do not think I have ever been happier for a game to just be over and this was about a 5 point game that was decided in the last minute.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 05:54am
Official Forum Member

Inquiring minds would like to know, the history between the two teams.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 06:09am
Official Forum Member

I do think we need more of a story.

You said " at half time" we had a fight. Before you went to the locker?

When you came back?

What caused the fight? A foul?

Did players leave the bench?
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Had a game tonight where at halftime we have a fight. We ejected two players and probably could have ejected more, but things happened so fast it was hard to tell who did what. After all we called almost 30 fouls in the first half. I do not think I have ever been happier for a game to just be over and this was about a 5 point game that was decided in the last minute.

Peace
OUCH! Certainly not pleasant. I know that you handled it the best that you could. I've been in one of these ugly situations myself and until one is in such, it is impossible to state how one will react and deal with it.

I'm sure that you took care of business.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 07:58am
Courageous When Prudent

I'm still knocking on wood.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 08:33am
Esteemed Forum Member

Went To A Fight And A Basketball Game Broke Out ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
Did players leave the bench?
Isn't everyone bench personnel during an intermission?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace

Bad Rut! You disqualified them not ejected.... dumb rule and others disagree with me but I don't like them having to sit on the bench.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 12:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
Bad Rut! You disqualified them not ejected.... dumb rule and others disagree with me but I don't like them having to sit on the bench.
Nothing says they have to, from my perspetctive. I just can't dictate that they leave the gym. What the coach does with him is not my concern.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Nothing says they have to, from my perspetctive. I just can't dictate that they leave the gym. What the coach does with him is not my concern.
So long as the child is properly supervised. It would be a very bad day if something unfortunate happened, and you knew the kid left the gym without adult supervision.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 04:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
So long as the child is properly supervised. It would be a very bad day if something unfortunate happened, and you knew the kid left the gym without adult supervision.
You're right, if I knew otherwise. I guess for me, this is one of those things where I make assumptions that the coach knows and follows the rules. My jurisdiction doesn't cover the locker room.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 02:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
Ejection is a state association term in many places. It is has a specific meaning and a clearly delineated penalty per state regulations. Rut may be in such a state. The individuals who were charged with flagrant technical fouls for fighting during the half-time intermission may or may not remain on the bench for the 2nd half. The official has the authority to have them removed, if he believes that circumstances warrant it. In my opinion, fighting does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Actually, you can.

EJECTION
10.5 SITUATION: (a) The head coach is charged (directly or indirectly) with a
third technical foul, or a second direct technical; or (b) A1 commits a flagrant
technical foul against B1. RULING: In (a), the coach shall leave the vicinity or the
playing area and have no further contact with the team. The official has no option
and may not set aside the provision which requires removal. This also applies to
all adult bench personnel who receive two technical fouls. In (b), the flagrant
technical foul disqualifies A1 from further participation in the contest. A disqualified
team member or student bench personnel shall go to or remain on the
bench. However, in an unusual situation, an official has the authority to require
that these individuals who have committed a flagrant technical foul must leave the
vicinity of the court.
This action is necessary when permitting such offenders to
remain at courtside would tend to incite the crowd, to incite the opponents, or to
subject the officials, opponents or others administering the game, to unsporting
harassment. In such circumstances, the official should require the individual who
has committed a flagrant foul to leave the vicinity of the court with an adult supervisor.

It must be emphasized that an official does have this authority, when the
circumstances resulting from any flagrant foul warrant it.
(10-5 Note)
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Whack the coach and then assess a double T to the previously DQd player. The HC can then supervise the player in the locker room.

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 04:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Actually, you can.

EJECTION
10.5 SITUATION: (a) The head coach is charged (directly or indirectly) with a
third technical foul, or a second direct technical; or (b) A1 commits a flagrant
technical foul against B1. RULING: In (a), the coach shall leave the vicinity or the
playing area and have no further contact with the team. The official has no option
and may not set aside the provision which requires removal. This also applies to
all adult bench personnel who receive two technical fouls. In (b), the flagrant
technical foul disqualifies A1 from further participation in the contest. A disqualified
team member or student bench personnel shall go to or remain on the
bench. However, in an unusual situation, an official has the authority to require
that these individuals who have committed a flagrant technical foul must leave the
vicinity of the court.
This action is necessary when permitting such offenders to
remain at courtside would tend to incite the crowd, to incite the opponents, or to
subject the officials, opponents or others administering the game, to unsporting
harassment. In such circumstances, the official should require the individual who
has committed a flagrant foul to leave the vicinity of the court with an adult supervisor.

It must be emphasized that an official does have this authority, when the
circumstances resulting from any flagrant foul warrant it.
(10-5 Note)
Of course you're correct, and I knew that. I was more focussed on the idea that I somehow have to enforce a coach's presence in the locker room if the coach sends his player off the court.

I've had two games with bona fide fights. In neither case did I send the offenders to the locker room, although in one case the player headed there on his own and decided to give some hand signals to the crowd on his way (earned a 2nd flagrant).

In the other, the game was completed without incident.

Now, if I were to hear so much as a peep out of such a DQ'd player, I'd pull the trigger.