View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 02:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
Bad Rut! You disqualified them not ejected.... dumb rule and others disagree with me but I don't like them having to sit on the bench.
Ejection is a state association term in many places. It is has a specific meaning and a clearly delineated penalty per state regulations. Rut may be in such a state. The individuals who were charged with flagrant technical fouls for fighting during the half-time intermission may or may not remain on the bench for the 2nd half. The official has the authority to have them removed, if he believes that circumstances warrant it. In my opinion, fighting does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Nothing says they have to, from my perspetctive. I just can't dictate that they leave the gym. What the coach does with him is not my concern.
Actually, you can.

EJECTION
10.5 SITUATION: (a) The head coach is charged (directly or indirectly) with a
third technical foul, or a second direct technical; or (b) A1 commits a flagrant
technical foul against B1. RULING: In (a), the coach shall leave the vicinity or the
playing area and have no further contact with the team. The official has no option
and may not set aside the provision which requires removal. This also applies to
all adult bench personnel who receive two technical fouls. In (b), the flagrant
technical foul disqualifies A1 from further participation in the contest. A disqualified
team member or student bench personnel shall go to or remain on the
bench. However, in an unusual situation, an official has the authority to require
that these individuals who have committed a flagrant technical foul must leave the
vicinity of the court.
This action is necessary when permitting such offenders to
remain at courtside would tend to incite the crowd, to incite the opponents, or to
subject the officials, opponents or others administering the game, to unsporting
harassment. In such circumstances, the official should require the individual who
has committed a flagrant foul to leave the vicinity of the court with an adult supervisor.

It must be emphasized that an official does have this authority, when the
circumstances resulting from any flagrant foul warrant it.
(10-5 Note)