View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 04:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Actually, you can.

EJECTION
10.5 SITUATION: (a) The head coach is charged (directly or indirectly) with a
third technical foul, or a second direct technical; or (b) A1 commits a flagrant
technical foul against B1. RULING: In (a), the coach shall leave the vicinity or the
playing area and have no further contact with the team. The official has no option
and may not set aside the provision which requires removal. This also applies to
all adult bench personnel who receive two technical fouls. In (b), the flagrant
technical foul disqualifies A1 from further participation in the contest. A disqualified
team member or student bench personnel shall go to or remain on the
bench. However, in an unusual situation, an official has the authority to require
that these individuals who have committed a flagrant technical foul must leave the
vicinity of the court.
This action is necessary when permitting such offenders to
remain at courtside would tend to incite the crowd, to incite the opponents, or to
subject the officials, opponents or others administering the game, to unsporting
harassment. In such circumstances, the official should require the individual who
has committed a flagrant foul to leave the vicinity of the court with an adult supervisor.

It must be emphasized that an official does have this authority, when the
circumstances resulting from any flagrant foul warrant it.
(10-5 Note)
Of course you're correct, and I knew that. I was more focussed on the idea that I somehow have to enforce a coach's presence in the locker room if the coach sends his player off the court.

I've had two games with bona fide fights. In neither case did I send the offenders to the locker room, although in one case the player headed there on his own and decided to give some hand signals to the crowd on his way (earned a 2nd flagrant).

In the other, the game was completed without incident.

Now, if I were to hear so much as a peep out of such a DQ'd player, I'd pull the trigger.