The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Administrative Tech

A friend just called me with a question regarding an administrative technical. He was calling a game and there was a problem with the book to start the game. Starts the game with a T. does the coach lose his coaching box privlages for the rest of the game? I say yes. My reasoning is that it counts as an indirect technical towards the coach. no difference in a book problem or the assistant cussing you prior to tipoff in my book both start the game with two freethrows and the ball with the head coach on the bench for the night. what you think?
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Wrong. An administrative technical is charged to the team only, and counts toward the team foul count.

Your other example, the assistant cussing at you during pregame warmups is charged indirectly to the HC.

Take a look at the technical foul chart in the back of your rule book. Very helpful.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 10:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azatcher View Post
A friend just called me with a question regarding an administrative technical. He was calling a game and there was a problem with the book to start the game. Starts the game with a T. does the coach lose his coaching box privlages for the rest of the game? I say yes. My reasoning is that it counts as an indirect technical towards the coach. no difference in a book problem or the assistant cussing you prior to tipoff in my book both start the game with two freethrows and the ball with the head coach on the bench for the night. what you think?
No this has nothing to do directly with the coach or indirectly by rule. This just goes to the team total for fouls. This is not a bench T so it would not affect the coach or the box privileges. So your reasoning is incorrect. This is under the team technical section of Rule 10.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

That's why I asked. I am not near my rule books at the moment so couldn't look at the charts. Thanks for the help. Only question is where do you mark the Team Technical in the book?
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 10:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
That's why I asked. I am not near my rule books at the moment so couldn't look at the charts. Thanks for the help. Only question is where do you mark the Team Technical in the book?
I do not know, and not something you should really worry about. Unless you are keeping the book.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

The only reason I ask is that it has to be written somewhere and charged to the team somewhere. The only spaces I have ever seen in the book to note a technical is in the player spaces and coach spaces. I guess it would go in the coach box in the book but that could get confusing if it does not count toward the coach's total allowed technicals
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There are 10 spaces for TEAM FOULS for each half in the scorebook. It goes there. The scorer simply makes a note that it was a T.

The scorer simply skips the step of marking this foul against a specific individual and goes straight to the team section.