What does your association use?
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 07:27am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
All our V is 3 person.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 08:28am
Esteemed Forum Member

Beside The Long Tidal River ...

Connecticut. Almost all regular season games are two person, with the exception of some big city schools, and a few Holiday Tournaments. Three person crew for state quarterfinals and above, in all four school size classes.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

In NE Ohio (Greater Cleveland Metropolitan Area), all V is 3 person. I can't speak for other areas of Ohio. There's been talk of going to 3 person for BJV for a couple of years now. I did a BJV game last week as part of a Fr/JV DH that nearly wiped me out. Two big athletic teams that ran up and down the court. Final was 72-66. As someone who floats between jv and v, the mechanics differences sometimes catch up with me.

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Indiana is almost all 3.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Oregon is all 2 man. There's been some discussion about going to 3 man for higher level varsity games, but it pretty much got shelved when the economy went in the toilet - I don't expect to see any changes until the economy turns around......
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
Oregon is all 2 man. There's been some discussion about going to 3 man for higher level varsity games, but it pretty much got shelved when the economy went in the toilet - I don't expect to see any changes until the economy turns around......
How much do you make per varsity game?

How many fans attend the average game?

Here we get $65 per official, 3 man. We get about 100 to 300 fans per game on aveage. Some games as many as 500 people. You times that by $4-$5 per person and that's a nice gate.

I know we are not their only expense.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 10:52am
Official & Member

In Florida, it is up to the individual county school boards to negotiate with local assns. for two or three whistle games. Most counties have 3 whistle for varsity, but the larger, urban counties use two whistle due to availability and/or financial reasons. Locally, my area uses three whistle for all varsity games and two whistle for all sub-varsity. Personally, I can't imagine trying to cover a varsity game with two whistles, particularly boys. These kids are too fast and athletic for two whistle IMO.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to StripesOhio
Northwest Ohio is 3-crew for V. Some in the area down 2 for VG. I really really wish some ADs would book 3 for JVB.

Had a JVB game a couple of nights ago and it was to physical and fast for a 2-person crew to call a good game.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Here in Oklahoma, at least in my area, only the biggest two classes use 3-man for varsity games. Everything else is 2-man.

When I was in South Carolina, all V games were 3-man statewide, and in my district we did all sub-V 3-person as well. I probably called no more than four 2-man games in the three years I was there.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 12:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
In Florida, it is up to the individual county school boards to negotiate with local assns. for two or three whistle games. Most counties have 3 whistle for varsity, but the larger, urban counties use two whistle due to availability and/or financial reasons. Locally, my area uses three whistle for all varsity games and two whistle for all sub-varsity. Personally, I can't imagine trying to cover a varsity game with two whistles, particularly boys. These kids are too fast and athletic for two whistle IMO.
The NBA worked 2-whistle into the late 1980s. I worked some big New Orleans schools 2-whistle in the late 1990s.

It can be done, you run a lot, you miss things you shouldn't, but it can be done. It is done in a lot of places and you do the best you can.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 01:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Virtually all varsity here (CO) is 3, with some exceptions. With a few more exceptions, are JV games are also 3. I've noticed when working 2 person that my 3 person experience is telling me when I missed something.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

In our area of Nebraska it's nearly all 3 man. If schools get in a bind we'll split up and run with 2 man to help cover 2 locations. The nice thing is a majority of schools pay a contracted $ amount (around $50/$55 for each 3man official). When a 2man works they still get the contracted amount (thus $75/$85 each).
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
How much do you make per varsity game?

How many fans attend the average game?

Here we get $65 per official, 3 man. We get about 100 to 300 fans per game on aveage. Some games as many as 500 people. You times that by $4-$5 per person and that's a nice gate.

I know we are not their only expense.
Where in Maryland do you officiate? We only have 2-man in Montgomery and Howard County, but some private school leagues are 3-man.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Southern California

In my area of Southern California all of our varsity games are covered by 2-man crews! However,some units (not ours) use three-man crews in tournament championship games.

Playoffs-
2 man crews:first and second rounds
3 man crews: Quarterfinals-Championships