The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Blarge ...Then it Wasn't (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56642-blarge-then-wasnt.html)

Spence Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:56pm

Blarge ...Then it Wasn't

Blarge call in boys varsity game last night. Both coaches see the two officials give opposing calls. The two get together and come out of the discussion with a consensus PC call. Obviously the offensive coach wasnt happy.

I'm a relatively new ref so I'm curious as to what might have been discussed to change the blarge call to a PC.

JRutledge Fri Jan 22, 2010 01:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 654490)
Blarge call in boys varsity game last night. Both coaches see the two officials give opposing calls. The two get together and come out of the discussion with a consensus PC call. Obviously the offensive coach wasnt happy.

I'm a relatively new ref so I'm curious as to what might have been discussed to change the blarge call to a PC.

I cannot tell you what could have been talked about, but if both officials signaled, then they are stuck by rule. They must go with a double foul, it is that simple. Officials kicked the rule and the call. ;)

Peace

ILRef80 Fri Jan 22, 2010 01:18pm

Should have been a double foul. Charge on A1, Block on B1. Very straightforward.

mbyron Fri Jan 22, 2010 02:45pm

Quote:

I can tell you exactly what was discussed: either the right issue (whether defender had LGP) or the wrong one (whether he was "set").

But the discussion is moot, since by rule a blarge must be recorded as a double foul.

Unless you happen to be JAR. :D

RookieDude Fri Jan 22, 2010 02:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILRef80 (Post 654499)
Should have been a double foul. Charge on A1, Block on B1. Very straightforward.

...OK...who gets the ball?

deecee Fri Jan 22, 2010 03:01pm

What happens on simultaneous fouls?

its treated the same as if you have a double foul on 2 post players

RookieDude Fri Jan 22, 2010 03:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 654539)
What happens on simultaneous fouls?

its treated the same as if you have a double foul on 2 post players

...so you are saying that EVERY blarge is treated the SAME as a double foul on 2 post players?

deecee Fri Jan 22, 2010 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude (Post 654541)
...so you are saying that EVERY blarge is treated the SAME as a double foul on 2 post players?

Yes,

what would you do in the case of the 2 post players getting a double foul? how would you administer the resumption of play?

RookieDude Fri Jan 22, 2010 03:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 654543)
yes,

what would you do in the case of the 2 post players getting a double foul? How would you administer the resumption of play?

poi

Mark Padgett Fri Jan 22, 2010 03:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 654543)
what would you do in the case of the 2 post players getting a double foul?

I would expect to get yelled at by both coaches. :rolleyes:

deecee Fri Jan 22, 2010 03:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude (Post 654544)
poi

bingo

bbcof83 Fri Jan 22, 2010 03:39pm

Quote:

More likely they came together, discussed and decided to defer to whoever's primary it was. But it's too late for that, they needed to go with a blarge, as unsavory as that is.

RookieDude Fri Jan 22, 2010 04:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 654546)
bingo

Just creating a discussion here...

...so if A1 has released his try for goal, and then crashes into B1...and then both officials have a blarge...are you still treating it exactly like a double foul on 2 post players, while A2 dribbles the ball at the top of the key?

deecee Fri Jan 22, 2010 04:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude (Post 654552)

...so if A1 has released his try for goal, and then crashes into B1...and then both officials have a blarge...are you still treating it exactly like a double foul on 2 post players, while A2 dribbles the ball at the top of the key?

All simoltaneous fouls GO TO POI...nothing complicated about that.

In this instance POI will be jump ball as there was NO TEAM POSSESSION.

I think you are confusing POI with posession arrow. the possession arrow can be the POI. POI means point of interruption. When you have a simultaneous foul you go to the POI and the possession arrow can help you decide who gets possession.

jdmara Fri Jan 22, 2010 04:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude (Post 654552)

Yes, you go to the point of interruption.

-Josh