The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

UO-WSU New Year's Eve 2-OT Game

Seems to me like the media & fans are blowing this out of proportion.

I'll let the articles do all the talking.

Cougs? celebration comes bit too early | Spokesman.com | Jan 1, 2010

Controversy Surrounds WSU Loss - KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Cougs come back, then let it get away: ‘It takes your heart out’ | College Sports - The News Tribune | Seattle-Tacoma News, Weather, Sports, Jobs, Homes and Cars | South Puget Sound's Destination

Ducks Waddle Past WSU in 2OT Kitsap Sun

Pac-10 Referees Give Holiday Gift To Oregon - College Basketball - Rivals.com

College Sports | Ducks stuns Cougars in double overtime | Pac-10 Roundup | Seattle Times Newspaper

It seems to me that no one has an understanding concerning the rules of the game. The game was not over, nor had anyone requested a timeout.
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

I already posted this in another thread, but...

Look for the kid from the student section! He's the one in the red T-shirt and blue jeans.

YouTube - NVECapture.0008.mpg
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Concerning that fan running out onto the floor there at Beasley Cloiseum, the game management & crowd control were not doing their jobs properly. Of course, if WSU is still using the company I think they are for crowd control, this wouldn't surprise me much. Guess this means that the company needs to train it's Ambassadors better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I already posted this in another thread, but...

Look for the kid from the student section! He's the one in the red T-shirt and blue jeans.

YouTube - NVECapture.0008.mpg
ESPN points out the kid coming out of the stands, but it seems like no one mentions the one player removing his shirt, except for ESPN in the video where it's highlighting the kid coming out of the stands.

Also if I remembered from the video, there were 2-3 WSU Bench Personnel that ran onto the floor after the made shot. Which is why the Technical was assessed, correct?
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Also if I remembered from the video, there were 2-3 WSU Bench Personnel that ran onto the floor after the made shot. Which is why the Technical was assessed, correct?
This is precisely the reason for the T. A few years ago the NCAA determined that the interuption put the inbounding team at a disadvantage.

It used to be that most teams would call TO after a score to set up a play. With the stoppage of the clock after each made basket (under 1 minute), it was not always the desire of the inbounding team to request a TO. The teams would practice this type of scenario, and have a play ready run to take advantage of the confusion by the players on the court. The "rushing" on the court by bench personnel interfered with this and negated the opportunity by the inbounding team.

Since it was unlikely for officials to penalize the bench personnel that would come onto the floor they would have everyone go back to the bench, put the correct time on the clock, and start the play again. While this was going on both teams would be treating this situation as a TO that was not intended. This also prolonged games in a way was not appealing to the NCAA.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ESPN points out the kid coming out of the stands, but it seems like no one mentions the one player removing his shirt, except for ESPN in the video where it's highlighting the kid coming out of the stands.
I don't know that the NCAA rule on "removing the shirt in the visual confines of the playing court" is the same as the FED rule. I guess I'll have to get out my rule book (only the case book is handy at the moment).

Quote:
A.R. 257 "when the celebration does not delay or interfere with play, the celebration shall be ignored." Didn't see the play, so I don't know if the team was hindered by the celebration.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 05:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Let's just say the thrower could not have inbounded the ball immediately. No timeout was requested by either team.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I don't know that the NCAA rule on "removing the shirt in the visual confines of the playing court" is the same as the FED rule. I guess I'll have to get out my rule book (only the case book is handy at the moment).

A.R. 257 "when the celebration does not delay or interfere with play, the celebration shall be ignored." Didn't see the play, so I don't know if the team was hindered by the celebration.
Bob, I've got a link below for you that shows the play. This feed of it was done by a person with a DVR that pauses then rewinds to see things a bit closer. Concerning the player removing the shirt & the fan coming out onto the floor, there is a period where it gets paused as well as shown in slow motion.

YouTube - NVECapture.0008.mpg (UO-WSU New Year's Eve game 2OT)
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 05:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Bob, I've got a link below for you that shows the play. This feed of it was done by a person with a DVR that pauses then rewinds to see things a bit closer. Concerning the player removing the shirt & the fan coming out onto the floor, there is a period where it gets paused as well as shown in slow motion.

YouTube - NVECapture.0008.mpg (UO-WSU New Year's Eve game 2OT)
There's a link above. If Bob wanted to watch it, he'd have done so already.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
There's a link above. If Bob wanted to watch it, he'd have done so already.
All the links I initially posted are from newspaper articles or are text articles.

The link showing the article from KNDU, if I remember right, does have a video attached but it shows so fast that details can't be seen so easily.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
All the links I initially posted are from newspaper articles or are text articles.

The link showing the article from KNDU, if I remember right, does have a video attached but it shows so fast that details can't be seen so easily.
But I posted the same video link that you just did back in post #2.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 07:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

I didn't say you posted it.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

I'd be upset too if I had to spend my New Year's Eve in Pullman.

Ducks sweep in Washington!! And they ******* in Pasadena.

They came onto the court. T'em up. John Adams (NCAA D-1 Supervisor) brought the hammer down a couple weeks ago on bad court behavior to conference coordinators. Guess the message was heard.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

I've looked at the clip several times - IMHO the officiating crew got it right. Agree it was a tough break for WSU, but it did interfere with the other team's ability to get the ball into play - that's why the rule is there.....
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
They came onto the court. T'em up. John Adams (NCAA D-1 Supervisor) brought the hammer down a couple weeks ago on bad court behavior to conference coordinators. Guess the message was heard.
Care to post the memo?
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
But I posted the same video link that you just did back in post #2.
Sorry, Nevada,

I posted the link before looking, my bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
I've looked at the clip several times - IMHO the officiating crew got it right. Agree it was a tough break for WSU, but it did interfere with the other team's ability to get the ball into play - that's why the rule is there.....
Tim,

I'm not arguing about the call. I know they called it right. It's the media & some other fans (those that have no real understanding of the rules/regulations) that are saying that WSU got cheated out of the victory.