The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 01:56am
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

Although I usually try to use humor in my posts, and this would be an opportunity to do so, I thought I would just post my straight resolutions as they pertain to my officiating. I know a lot of guys make ones about not calling out of their area, or taking their time to make a call, but mine deal more with specific tasks, rather than overall court philosophy.

1) stretch properly before each shift (I am terrible at remembering to do this and my calves pay dearly later)

2) have a proper pre-game with my partner regardless of level of either the game or the partner (and, no matter how many times I have worked with that partner before)

3) drink plenty of liquids during my shifts so I don't get dehydrated

4) make sure I eat at a proper interval before a game, not too early and not too late

5) reduce the number of games this year and pace myself better (from a high of 312 in 1999 down to 132 in 2001 - I am making progress, but I already have 92 scheduled through March this year, so I have to watch it during summer league and next fall)

Yours?
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 02:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Good thread, Mark. For me, it was a New Year's Resolution that started this whole thing. In January of 1999, I resolved to try refereeing ... and the rest, as they say, is history.

This year my goals are:

1) to develop a more athletic looking stride and run, and to improve my sprint times.

2) to work on AP awareness.

3) to develop and improve good pre-game habits such as checking the books and so on.

4) to lose another 15 or so pounds.

That ought to keep me busy!!
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

I resolve to...

I resolve to NOT miss a call!..... Uh, errr.... Wait, that means I will have to give up officiating. NO WAY!

The concept of doing pre-games is nearly NON-existent at lower level games. I consistently arrive at "lower level" games 30 minutes prior and rarely have a parter until only minutes before the game.

OK, I will adopt Juulie's weight loss goal. I could stand to lose 150 pounds..... What! You are are laughing at me? I would still have a 110 pounds left.

One more resolution:
Keep smiling throughout the game to show how much fun I am having!
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Good thread, Mark. For me, it was a New Year's Resolution that started this whole thing. In January of 1999, I resolved to try refereeing ... and the rest, as they say, is history.

This year my goals are:

1) to develop a more athletic looking stride and run, and to improve my sprint times.

2) to work on AP awareness.

3) to develop and improve good pre-game habits such as checking the books and so on.

4) to lose another 15 or so pounds.

That ought to keep me busy!!
Hey, I think you copied off me.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Although I usually try to use humor in my posts, and this would be an opportunity to do so, I thought I would just post my straight resolutions as they pertain to my officiating. I know a lot of guys make ones about not calling out of their area, or taking their time to make a call, but mine deal more with specific tasks, rather than overall court philosophy.

1) stretch properly before each shift (I am terrible at remembering to do this and my calves pay dearly later)

2) have a proper pre-game with my partner regardless of level of either the game or the partner (and, no matter how many times I have worked with that partner before)

3) drink plenty of liquids during my shifts so I don't get dehydrated

4) make sure I eat at a proper interval before a game, not too early and not too late

5) reduce the number of games this year and pace myself better (from a high of 312 in 1999 down to 132 in 2001 - I am making progress, but I already have 92 scheduled through March this year, so I have to watch it during summer league and next fall)

Yours?
1. Pregame more (I have been mostly assigned to 3rd-9th)

2. AP awareness

3. Ref a couple JV games (not in my control)

4. Attend a camp this summer

5. Re-read the rule, mechanic and case book by end of January

6. Try to talk my wife into letting me work more games!

7. Make Varsity in 2003 / 2004
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

1. Give fewer technical fouls.

2. Work on using proper NFHS mechanics, even during IM games.

3. Find some way to work real basketball next year.

4. Pre-game, if only for a minute or two. (This is very tough with some of my partners.)

5. Use more Dave-isms!

[Edited by Mark Dexter on Jan 3rd, 2002 at 10:11 PM]
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 11:53am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
1. Give less technical fouls.

2. Work on using proper NFHS mechanics, even during IM games.

3. Find some way to work real basketball next year.

4. Pre-game, if only for a minute or two. (This is very tough with some of my partners.)

5. Use more Dave-isms!
Hey other Mark. I can help you on points one and five. When thinking about technical fouls, remember the words of veteran official Ed Hightower: "The purpose of a technical foul is to stop bad behavior. If you can stop the bad behavior without calling the technical, you're just that much ahead."

On point five - remember: "think Dave, envision Dave, BE DAVE!
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

1) Better mechanics at every game.

2) Handle the coaches better (or give more T's - I've been told I take too much cr@p of the coaches).

3) Call a lot more games, even if it is YMCA and Rec Ball (Just finishing my first year and I figure even if the quality of play is not high, I can at least work on mechanics and game management).

4) Attend at least 2, maybe 3, camps this summer (I want as much input from the Vets as I can get, and can try to apply what I take from camp 1 at camp 2).

5) Better pre-games.

6) Get some JV games on my schedule (in my control somewhat - along the lines of the philosophy of "Do more than you are paid to do and eventually you will be paid more for what you do.")
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

1. Be more approachable to the coaches and players.

2. Better pregames, especially at the lower level games.

3. Attend another camp during the off season.

4. Be serious about the games but not about myself.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Mark --
I'm not going to make a habit of correcting grammar on this board -- I know it's not the point and most people don't care. But I have been impressed with your grammar and spelling, so I just want to point out this one error. The above sentence should read, "Give FEWER technical fouls."

I'll never say another word about it.

Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The above sentence should read, "Give FEWER technical fouls."
It does now. (Ah, the beauty of "edit!")

Thanks for pointing that out.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2002, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
1. Learn to relax and enjoy the game. Even if it is seventh grade girls.
2. Know my shooter.
3. Call more games.
4. Stay injury free.
5. Lose 20 lbs. (I've already lost 15)
6. Firm up.
7. Get a playoff game.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2002, 01:57am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Quote:
Mark --
I'm not going to make a habit of correcting grammar on this board -- I know it's not the point and most people don't care. But I have been impressed with your grammar and spelling, so I just want to point out this one error. The above sentence should read, "Give FEWER technical fouls."

I'll never say another word about it.

Juulie - maybe "other Mark" meant to give more fouls of a "less technical nature."
Old Fri Jan 04, 2002, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

No, he didn't.

Although my league supervisors might like it if I weren't so technical with my rules interpretations.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2002, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Question Howler Monkey Clipboards

With regard to my resolution #4, does anyone know of stores that carry the full-court dry-erase boards? I really don't feel like forking out whatever amount of money plus shipping for a tiny magnetic board, which is all I can seem to find online.

Thanks.