The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Somewhere on the earth
Posts: 1,601
Pregames

I remember from reading in the officials manual that the officials do a pregame conference to try to be on the same page. Should the table crew do something similar?

How often is the table crew actually involved in pregame conferences?
__________________
"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates"--Earvin "Magic" Johnson
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I have a quick meeting with the table crew each time I am the R on a game and while I am signing the books. I think it is a vital vital part of the game as they (table crew) can make you look really bad or look really good if something strange happens. IMO, table crews make or break an officiating crew.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 05:55pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
When I'm R, there are three pregame conferences on the court.
1. Captains
2. Table
3. Coaches

Each has its own purpose and none lasts very long.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Somewhere on the earth
Posts: 1,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnSandlin View Post
I have a quick meeting with the table crew each time I am the R on a game and while I am signing the books. I think it is a vital vital part of the game as they (table crew) can make you look really bad or look really good if something strange happens. IMO, table crews make or break an officiating crew.
What I'm meaning in my questioning, John, is should the table crew by itself have a pregame?

Most of the time, when the officials do the pregame with the table crew, the questions are: "do both books match with their lineups?", For the Scorebaord/Timer "Do you have any questions concerning when to start &/or stop the clock?" I know there are other questions asked, but can't remember them all.
__________________
"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates"--Earvin "Magic" Johnson
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,001
Just FYI, you're going to have a tough time getting a very informed and interested opinion on the table crew from a bunch of people who don't normall work on a table crew.

It's like asking all of us if we think the coaches should have a pre-game meeting to discuss strategy, etc. How would I know? I'm not a coach.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Somewhere on the earth
Posts: 1,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Just FYI, you're going to have a tough time getting a very informed and interested opinion on the table crew from a bunch of people who don't normall work on a table crew.

It's like asking all of us if we think the coaches should have a pre-game meeting to discuss strategy, etc. How would I know? I'm not a coach.
I realize I'm asking something that may or may not make any difference in the game. I was just wondering if maybe the table crew did a pregame (like officials do before coming out onto the court, or walking to the court) perhaps the game could flow even more smoothly.
__________________
"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates"--Earvin "Magic" Johnson
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 06:17pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
I realize I'm asking something that may or may not make any difference in the game. I was just wondering if maybe the table crew did a pregame (like officials do before coming out onto the court, or walking to the court) perhaps the game could flow even more smoothly.
I'll say this, the less experience your table crew has, the more good this will do.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Detroit Metro
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
I remember from reading in the officials manual that the officials do a pregame conference to try to be on the same page. Should the table crew do something similar?

How often is the table crew actually involved in pregame conferences?
I work the clock for a JV boy's team at my daughter's HS. Our pregame with the refs is very short:

They ask
1. Done this before?
2. Any questions?

They may add that we need to inform the players to wait until beckoned when subbing in.
That's about it.

As a timer, I will usually say to the scorers that I will be checking frequently with them to make sure we're in agreement.

The scorer I work with is so good, I would pay her to come do my games.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Somewhere on the earth
Posts: 1,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
I work the clock for a JV boy's team at my daughter's HS. Our pregame with the refs is very short:

They ask
1. Done this before?
2. Any questions?

They may add that we need to inform the players to wait until beckoned when subbing in.
That's about it.

As a timer, I will usually say to the scorers that I will be checking frequently with them to make sure we're in agreement.

The scorer I work with is so good, I would pay her to come do my games.
I could say the same thing about the scorer that does the BV games. I wish there was someway she could train those that do the SUb-V games. She does things I hadn't seen before.
__________________
"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates"--Earvin "Magic" Johnson
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 01:05am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
I could say the same thing about the scorer that does the BV games. I wish there was someway she could train those that do the SUb-V games. She does things I hadn't seen before.
And she's a pretty good scorekeeper too right?
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 01:36am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Somewhere on the earth
Posts: 1,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggravy View Post
And she's a pretty good scorekeeper too right?
I'm meaning how she does the book. nothing else.

She does a running score using the margins of the book, for one.
__________________
"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates"--Earvin "Magic" Johnson
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 02:01am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
I'm meaning how she does the book. nothing else.

She does a running score using the margins of the book, for one.
The book she uses doesn't have one already? I've never seen a book that doesn't have one.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 02:45am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Somewhere on the earth
Posts: 1,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
The book she uses doesn't have one already? I've never seen a book that doesn't have one.
What she does is that she actually writies the score as it happens in the margin.

(example: 0-0, 2-0, 2-1, 2-3)

She uses the running score up top as well but she keeps track of the overall running score as well for leads, ties, etc.
__________________
"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates"--Earvin "Magic" Johnson
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 02:55am
We don't rent pigs
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
What she does is that she actually writes the score as it happens in the margin.

(example: 0-0, 2-0, 2-1, 2-3)

She uses the running score up top as well but she keeps track of the overall running score as well for leads, ties, etc.
why?
__________________
I swear, Gus, you'd argue with a possum.
It'd be easier than arguing with you, Woodrow.


Lonesome Dove
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 02:57am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Somewhere on the earth
Posts: 1,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
why?
I have no idea exactly why she does it. Probably so that the coach can keep closer track of the score while watching game film.

Next game, if I get the chance I'll ask her.
__________________
"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates"--Earvin "Magic" Johnson

Last edited by chseagle; Thu Jan 21, 2010 at 01:11pm.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1