The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Pregames

I remember from reading in the officials manual that the officials do a pregame conference to try to be on the same page. Should the table crew do something similar?

How often is the table crew actually involved in pregame conferences?
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I have a quick meeting with the table crew each time I am the R on a game and while I am signing the books. I think it is a vital vital part of the game as they (table crew) can make you look really bad or look really good if something strange happens. IMO, table crews make or break an officiating crew.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 05:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

When I'm R, there are three pregame conferences on the court.
1. Captains
2. Table
3. Coaches

Each has its own purpose and none lasts very long.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnSandlin View Post
I have a quick meeting with the table crew each time I am the R on a game and while I am signing the books. I think it is a vital vital part of the game as they (table crew) can make you look really bad or look really good if something strange happens. IMO, table crews make or break an officiating crew.
What I'm meaning in my questioning, John, is should the table crew by itself have a pregame?

Most of the time, when the officials do the pregame with the table crew, the questions are: "do both books match with their lineups?", For the Scorebaord/Timer "Do you have any questions concerning when to start &/or stop the clock?" I know there are other questions asked, but can't remember them all.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Just FYI, you're going to have a tough time getting a very informed and interested opinion on the table crew from a bunch of people who don't normall work on a table crew.

It's like asking all of us if we think the coaches should have a pre-game meeting to discuss strategy, etc. How would I know? I'm not a coach.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Just FYI, you're going to have a tough time getting a very informed and interested opinion on the table crew from a bunch of people who don't normall work on a table crew.

It's like asking all of us if we think the coaches should have a pre-game meeting to discuss strategy, etc. How would I know? I'm not a coach.
I realize I'm asking something that may or may not make any difference in the game. I was just wondering if maybe the table crew did a pregame (like officials do before coming out onto the court, or walking to the court) perhaps the game could flow even more smoothly.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 06:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
I realize I'm asking something that may or may not make any difference in the game. I was just wondering if maybe the table crew did a pregame (like officials do before coming out onto the court, or walking to the court) perhaps the game could flow even more smoothly.
I'll say this, the less experience your table crew has, the more good this will do.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I remember from reading in the officials manual that the officials do a pregame conference to try to be on the same page. Should the table crew do something similar?

How often is the table crew actually involved in pregame conferences?
I work the clock for a JV boy's team at my daughter's HS. Our pregame with the refs is very short:

They ask
1. Done this before?
2. Any questions?

They may add that we need to inform the players to wait until beckoned when subbing in.
That's about it.

As a timer, I will usually say to the scorers that I will be checking frequently with them to make sure we're in agreement.

The scorer I work with is so good, I would pay her to come do my games.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
I work the clock for a JV boy's team at my daughter's HS. Our pregame with the refs is very short:

They ask
1. Done this before?
2. Any questions?

They may add that we need to inform the players to wait until beckoned when subbing in.
That's about it.

As a timer, I will usually say to the scorers that I will be checking frequently with them to make sure we're in agreement.

The scorer I work with is so good, I would pay her to come do my games.
I could say the same thing about the scorer that does the BV games. I wish there was someway she could train those that do the SUb-V games. She does things I hadn't seen before.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I could say the same thing about the scorer that does the BV games. I wish there was someway she could train those that do the SUb-V games. She does things I hadn't seen before.
And she's a pretty good scorekeeper too right?
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggravy View Post
And she's a pretty good scorekeeper too right?
I'm meaning how she does the book. nothing else.

She does a running score using the margins of the book, for one.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm meaning how she does the book. nothing else.

She does a running score using the margins of the book, for one.
The book she uses doesn't have one already? I've never seen a book that doesn't have one.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 02:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
The book she uses doesn't have one already? I've never seen a book that doesn't have one.
What she does is that she actually writies the score as it happens in the margin.

(example: 0-0, 2-0, 2-1, 2-3)

She uses the running score up top as well but she keeps track of the overall running score as well for leads, ties, etc.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 02:55am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
What she does is that she actually writes the score as it happens in the margin.

(example: 0-0, 2-0, 2-1, 2-3)

She uses the running score up top as well but she keeps track of the overall running score as well for leads, ties, etc.
why?

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 02:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
why?
I have no idea exactly why she does it. Probably so that the coach can keep closer track of the score while watching game film.

Next game, if I get the chance I'll ask her.

Last edited by chseagle; Thu Jan 21, 2010 at 01:11pm.