The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Pregames (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56597-pregames.html)

chseagle Wed Jan 20, 2010 05:43pm

Pregames

I remember from reading in the officials manual that the officials do a pregame conference to try to be on the same page. Should the table crew do something similar?

How often is the table crew actually involved in pregame conferences?

johnSandlin Wed Jan 20, 2010 05:52pm

I have a quick meeting with the table crew each time I am the R on a game and while I am signing the books. I think it is a vital vital part of the game as they (table crew) can make you look really bad or look really good if something strange happens. IMO, table crews make or break an officiating crew.

Adam Wed Jan 20, 2010 05:55pm

When I'm R, there are three pregame conferences on the court.
1. Captains
2. Table
3. Coaches

Each has its own purpose and none lasts very long.

chseagle Wed Jan 20, 2010 05:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnSandlin (Post 653867)
I have a quick meeting with the table crew each time I am the R on a game and while I am signing the books. I think it is a vital vital part of the game as they (table crew) can make you look really bad or look really good if something strange happens. IMO, table crews make or break an officiating crew.

What I'm meaning in my questioning, John, is should the table crew by itself have a pregame?

Most of the time, when the officials do the pregame with the table crew, the questions are: "do both books match with their lineups?", For the Scorebaord/Timer "Do you have any questions concerning when to start &/or stop the clock?" I know there are other questions asked, but can't remember them all.

fiasco Wed Jan 20, 2010 06:05pm

Just FYI, you're going to have a tough time getting a very informed and interested opinion on the table crew from a bunch of people who don't normall work on a table crew.

It's like asking all of us if we think the coaches should have a pre-game meeting to discuss strategy, etc. How would I know? I'm not a coach.

chseagle Wed Jan 20, 2010 06:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 653877)
Just FYI, you're going to have a tough time getting a very informed and interested opinion on the table crew from a bunch of people who don't normall work on a table crew.

It's like asking all of us if we think the coaches should have a pre-game meeting to discuss strategy, etc. How would I know? I'm not a coach.

I realize I'm asking something that may or may not make any difference in the game. I was just wondering if maybe the table crew did a pregame (like officials do before coming out onto the court, or walking to the court) perhaps the game could flow even more smoothly.

Adam Wed Jan 20, 2010 06:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 653884)
I realize I'm asking something that may or may not make any difference in the game. I was just wondering if maybe the table crew did a pregame (like officials do before coming out onto the court, or walking to the court) perhaps the game could flow even more smoothly.

I'll say this, the less experience your table crew has, the more good this will do.

dsqrddgd909 Wed Jan 20, 2010 06:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 653862)
I remember from reading in the officials manual that the officials do a pregame conference to try to be on the same page. Should the table crew do something similar?

How often is the table crew actually involved in pregame conferences?

I work the clock for a JV boy's team at my daughter's HS. Our pregame with the refs is very short:

They ask
1. Done this before?
2. Any questions?

They may add that we need to inform the players to wait until beckoned when subbing in.
That's about it.

As a timer, I will usually say to the scorers that I will be checking frequently with them to make sure we're in agreement.

The scorer I work with is so good, I would pay her to come do my games.

chseagle Wed Jan 20, 2010 06:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 (Post 653890)
I work the clock for a JV boy's team at my daughter's HS. Our pregame with the refs is very short:

They ask
1. Done this before?
2. Any questions?

They may add that we need to inform the players to wait until beckoned when subbing in.
That's about it.

As a timer, I will usually say to the scorers that I will be checking frequently with them to make sure we're in agreement.

The scorer I work with is so good, I would pay her to come do my games.

I could say the same thing about the scorer that does the BV games. I wish there was someway she could train those that do the SUb-V games. She does things I hadn't seen before.

biggravy Thu Jan 21, 2010 01:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 653898)
I could say the same thing about the scorer that does the BV games. I wish there was someway she could train those that do the SUb-V games. She does things I hadn't seen before.

And she's a pretty good scorekeeper too right? :D

chseagle Thu Jan 21, 2010 01:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggravy (Post 653976)
And she's a pretty good scorekeeper too right? :D

I'm meaning how she does the book. nothing else.

She does a running score using the margins of the book, for one.

bas2456 Thu Jan 21, 2010 02:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 653977)
I'm meaning how she does the book. nothing else.

She does a running score using the margins of the book, for one.

The book she uses doesn't have one already? I've never seen a book that doesn't have one.

chseagle Thu Jan 21, 2010 02:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 653981)
The book she uses doesn't have one already? I've never seen a book that doesn't have one.

What she does is that she actually writies the score as it happens in the margin.

(example: 0-0, 2-0, 2-1, 2-3)

She uses the running score up top as well but she keeps track of the overall running score as well for leads, ties, etc.

just another ref Thu Jan 21, 2010 02:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 653989)
What she does is that she actually writes the score as it happens in the margin.

(example: 0-0, 2-0, 2-1, 2-3)

She uses the running score up top as well but she keeps track of the overall running score as well for leads, ties, etc.

why?

chseagle Thu Jan 21, 2010 02:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 653991)
why?

I have no idea exactly why she does it. Probably so that the coach can keep closer track of the score while watching game film.

Next game, if I get the chance I'll ask her.