The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 02:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
I may be repeating what others are saying, but after reading your post I wanted to immediately respond.

The stop sign is a good sign, whether it works on coaches or not. Everyone will see it, including your partner(s). ESPECIALLY your partner(s). This tells your partner(s) "this coach has been given a warning to shut up, next time he/she get's the big T". I use it all the time and will make eye contact with my partner(s) so he/she/they know that the coach has been given a warning and next time it is the big "T". That way there's no second warnings if one of your partner(s) has a problem with the same coach.

The stop sign is a good signal. Everyone will see it and will know that next time the coach will probably get a deserved "T". That's all I have to say.
So can you point out which signal it is to me on the chart in the back of the rules book? I'm having trouble locating this NFHS approved signal.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 02:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
So can you point out which signal it is to me on the chart in the back of the rules book? I'm having trouble locating this NFHS approved signal.
Never said it was approved. Just saying that it is an obvious sign as to what it means. No one in their right mind is going to think this signal is like saying "hey coach, I want you to yell at me some more and get the fans all wiled up so that they can yell at me even more and let this game get out of control".

I think my point is made. Going to bed now
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 03:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Never said it was approved. Just saying that it is an obvious sign as to what it means. No one in their right mind is going to think this signal is like saying "hey coach, I want you to yell at me some more and get the fans all wiled up so that they can yell at me even more and let this game get out of control".

I think my point is made. Going to bed now
Actually, it means "you've just yelled at me in an unsporting manner, but I'm not going to penalize you." It's totally useless.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 03:06am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

The stop sign is a good signal. Everyone will see it and will know that next time the coach will probably get a deserved "T". That's all I have to say.
The problems I have are these. A signal like this is not anything official, so it has no specific meaning.

Everyone will see it?

How do we know what everyone sees?

(Everyone) will know that next time the coach will probably get a deserved T.

Every will know what he will probably get? This would mean that everyone will also know that he may not get anything.

Give a stop sign if you want. Not saying it absolutely won't help. I just say not to depend on anyone knowing that it has any certain meaning, because it doesn't.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 03:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You are correct it is not an approved signal. However, some states associations would like for you to use it before penalizing.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 03:33am
Official Forum Member

JRut,

The premise I see from your post is. You had to penalize coaches from states outside of yours. Have you giving thought, that their local officials may not use the STOP sign.?
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 03:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
The problems I have are these. A signal like this is not anything official, so it has no specific meaning.

Everyone will see it?

How do we know what everyone sees?

(Everyone) will know that next time the coach will probably get a deserved T.

Every will know what he will probably get? This would mean that everyone will also know that he may not get anything.

Give a stop sign if you want. Not saying it absolutely won't help. I just say not to depend on anyone knowing that it has any certain meaning, because it doesn't.
Yeah, you got me. I'm sorry.

What I'm saying is the most important thing is that the coach gets one warning (unless sever which would be automatic T). The stop signal and saying "Coach, I've heard enough" is all you need to do to let the coach know that a T is coming if he/she keeps it up. Next time, give a T.

End of story, heading to bed cause I gotta get up in two hours for work. Night all.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 04:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm not saying that I use the Stop Sign. I'm just saying that I found it in the "NFHS Basketball Officials Manual".

2.5.3 Warnings:
.......B.4. A warning of this nature is typically given verbally ("This is your warning coach") and visually (holding up the one-handed "stop sign").

Same in three-person......... 3.5.3.B.4.

Personally, I believe that a coach already had his/her warning before the game even started. It's right there in the "Coaches Code of Ethics".......)

(Ok now I'm being just plain silly......
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 04:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Ref View Post
I'm not saying that I use the Stop Sign. I'm just saying that I found it in the "NFHS Basketball Officials Manual".

2.5.3 Warnings:
.......B.4. A warning of this nature is typically given verbally ("This is your warning coach") and visually (holding up the one-handed "stop sign").

Same in three-person......... 3.5.3.B.4.

Personally, I believe that a coach already had his/her warning before the game even started. It's right there in the "Coaches Code of Ethics".......)

(Ok now I'm being just plain silly......
Oh, it's in there all right, but when mentioning it please don't forget to notice what it says in 3.5.3 B1: "Though no provision provides for this in the rules book..."
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 06:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oh, it's in there all right, but when mentioning it please don't forget to notice what it says in 3.5.3 B1: "Though no provision provides for this in the rules book..."

You are correct, sir!

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thank you, oh rules writers, for this pewky pearl of prose.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Thank you, oh rules writers, for this pewky pearl of prose.
I see that you have nicely kept with the "p" alliteration.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 11:22am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie View Post
JRut,

The premise I see from your post is. You had to penalize coaches from states outside of yours. Have you giving thought, that their local officials may not use the STOP sign.?
You would have to assume that all officials are using the "stop sign" in my area. I do not know that every official has to use this or tries to use this. So it is not about the area, it is about the coach. If it works I would not have to give a T. I am just not convinced it works and I think it incites more than it stops actions. And it has nothing to do with approved or not approved signal. I think I will get back to the words I use and make it very clear they have crossed a line or just stick them when appropriate.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 11:29am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Actually, it means "you've just yelled at me in an unsporting manner, but I'm not going to penalize you." It's totally useless.
Are you actually saying that on the first instance of any unsporting yelling you'd issue a technical foul? Always?

While I find the stop sign silly, I do believe in shutting down bad behavior without shooting free throws when possible rather than pulling out a sledgehammer to kill an ant.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 11:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

My problem with the stop sign is that it comes across as dismissive. We talk all the time about how coaches should not be allowed to show us up, yet this signal does that very thing to the coach. Geese and Ganders come to mind here.

I've had much better success speaking quietly to them and letting them vent (appropriately), and I've witnessed good veteran officials do the same.

If your association wants you to do it so you have something the video will catch, so be it. I don't need that, as my report (every T gets one here) will be good enough for my assigners.