The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 01:10am
Get away from me, Steve.

F-I-F-T-Y fouls

Ugh. I need to throw my whistle in the fireplace.

Some joker near the one endline was yelling how "inconsistent" we were. Inconsistent? We called a freaking foul just about every time down the floor!

One to forget. We tried to GIGDGO, but the game took 1:50 anyway.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post

Some joker near the one endline was yelling how "inconsistent" we were. Inconsistent? We called a freaking foul just about every time down the floor!

I had a bad game(officiating) tonight, too tired and not focused, very disappointing. Nothing to discuss, another game tomorrow night.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 09:24am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:

BV last night, we had a real bad chirper behind the V bench. Yak, Yak, Yak. Nice sportsmanship example he set for the players. His team won by 12 and he had something to say on almost every play.......sad.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 09:37am
Get away from me, Steve.

Ours was a piece of work. One line: "I refereed for 20 years and you two are the worst I've ever seen."

No, sir, you aren't and never were an official, cause if you were you'd (1) never yell at the officials and (2) would recognize how awful the game in front of you was.

It's my kid's 5th birthday today. I really, really wish I would've found a sub for tonight. I took the game in a flurry of assigning and didn't put the date with the significance at the time and as busy as I've been I didn't take the time to get a sub. Now instead of taking my kid to dinner, I'll be working. At least it's a night game and I don't have to leave until late.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 09:38am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
......he had something to say on almost every play.......sad.
Only if you let him.....
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 09:42am
In Memoriam

Quote:
One line: "I refereed for 20 years and you two are the worst I've ever seen."
That one would be over my personal line in the sand. Wack without warning if it was said to me.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 09:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
That one would be over my personal line in the sand. Wack without warning if it was said to me.
It was an idiot in the stands. I had my back to him, trying not to LOL. I would've whacked a coach on that in a heartbeat.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 09:58am
In Memoriam

Quote:
It was an idiot in the stands. I had my back to him, trying not to LOL. I would've whacked a coach on that in a heartbeat.
I was kinda wondering....

It ain't like you to put up with crap like that from any coach. You won't hesitate to take care of bidness if you have to.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 10:33am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Meanwhile, back at the fan's bedroom closet, hangs his byron collared shirt, his metal whistle [on a red lanyard], and his bell-bottomed referee pants.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 11:11am
Esteemed Forum Member

Out Of The Closet ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Meanwhile, back at the fan's bedroom closet, hangs his byron collared shirt, his metal whistle, on a red lanyard, and his bell-bottomed referee pants.
What's mbyron's shirt doing in the fan's closet?

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 11:22am
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I had a bad game(officiating) tonight, too tired and not focused, very disappointing. Nothing to discuss, another game tomorrow night.
It just must have been a bad night to officiate, as I had the same problem...

Quote:
It's my kid's 5th birthday today. I really, really wish I would've found a sub for tonight. I took the game in a flurry of assigning and didn't put the date with the significance at the time and as busy as I've been I didn't take the time to get a sub. Now instead of taking my kid to dinner, I'll be working. At least it's a night game and I don't have to leave until late.
Hey, it's my birthday today too! And instead of enjoying dinner with my family I'll be working a night game as well... Oh well, there's always next year...
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 12:09pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
What's mbyron's shirt doing in the fan's closet?

Giving grammar lessons, I presume.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

The stars must have been aligned just right last night or something as I, too, had one of those games. It started out at the opening tip...team goes the worng direction and gets fouled while "shooting" at oppoents basket. Coach had a hard time grasping why we didn't award free throws. A total of six players fouled out...both teams were in double bonus with eleven minutes remaining in the second half (18 minutes halves in Minnesota). Game started at 7:20 and we walked off the court at 9:00 even though we had running time for the past seven minutes.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 02:09pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
BV last night, we had a real bad chirper behind the V bench. Yak, Yak, Yak. Nice sportsmanship example he set for the players. His team won by 12 and he had something to say on almost every play.......sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Only if you let him.....
JR, I'll be the first to admit that I try to avoid getting involved in crowd/fan behavior and need to engage better when necessary. I was the junior partner. My P's and I talked about it at half-time and we all passed on it. Live and learn.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

I feel your pain.

I am not sure of the exact number of fouls called, but if the assistant coach is to be believed we had 39 on one team. Since BOTH teams were in the double bonus we can say the other team had AT LEAST 20 for a total of 59 fouls. (Plus 2 T's, One ofr scorebook and one for delay of game jumping over the line....twice) I didn't have the heart to look at the paper but I know we were near 70+ free throws. There were 2 other officials there, and after the game we asked their opinion if we had strangled the game. Both of them didnt think so and were suprised when they heard the foul total b/c they felt the game had a nice flow too it.
Yes, I threw that whistle away after the game!