The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Confusion on Backcourt (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56478-confusion-backcourt.html)

Juulie Downs Sat Jan 16, 2010 07:51pm

On the topic of backcourt violations, I saw a girl pull an amazing play in a really scruffy JV2 game.

Team A was trying to get the ball into their frontcourt, Team B had a pretty effective press going on. As the trap was just closing in on the dribbler, the ball squirted between the two Team B trappers toward center court. The ball bounced the last 10 feet and A3 in FC started running to retrieve it. She had both feet on the FC side of the division line, when she bent over to pick it up. But she apparently realized that it would be a violation if she did, so she WAITED UNTIL IT HAD BOUNCED IN THE FRONTCOURT!! I was astounded. She must have a ref for a dad. She clearly knew the rule!

bob jenkins Sat Jan 16, 2010 08:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juulie Downs (Post 652326)
On the topic of backcourt violations, I saw a girl pull an amazing play in a really scruffy JV2 game.

Team A was trying to get the ball into their frontcourt, Team B had a pretty effective press going on. As the trap was just closing in on the dribbler, the ball squirted between the two Team B trappers toward center court. The ball bounced the last 10 feet and A3 in FC started running to retrieve it. She had both feet on the FC side of the division line, when she bent over to pick it up. But she apparently realized that it would be a violation if she did, so she WAITED UNTIL IT HAD BOUNCED IN THE FRONTCOURT!! I was astounded. She must have a ref for a dad. She clearly knew the rule!

I must be seeing the play wrong. The ball came from the BC, was bouncing in the BC, and it would have been a violation for a player in the FC to control the ball?

Juulie Downs Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 652331)
I must be seeing the play wrong. The ball came from the BC, was bouncing in the BC, and it would have been a violation for a player in the FC to control the ball?

I think so. First of all, remember A has team control. The ball, with BC status, bounces very near the division line in the BC, and is in the air when A1 with FC status reaches for it. Am I incorrect that if she touches it in the air at that point, it's a violation?

She waited until it bounced in the FC and then picked it up. Well, even if technically it would have been legal, I was impressed that she played it safe. It showed a respect for rules that I really appreciated.

Adam Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:40pm

Juulie, it wouldn't have been a violation anyway. the ball must gain BC status *after* it gained FC status in order for a violation to be committed.

Nevadaref Sun Jan 17, 2010 01:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juulie Downs (Post 652352)
I think so. First of all, remember A has team control. The ball, with BC status, bounces very near the division line in the BC, and is in the air when A1 with FC status reaches for it. Am I incorrect that if she touches it in the air at that point, it's a violation?

She waited until it bounced in the FC and then picked it up. Well, even if technically it would have been legal, I was impressed that she played it safe. It showed a respect for rules that I really appreciated.

FC-->BC is a violation.

Your play is BC-->FC. There is no rule against that. That is what the team is supposed to do.

Have you gotten into Padgett's stash of meds?

Juulie Downs Sun Jan 17, 2010 02:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 652360)
Juulie, it wouldn't have been a violation anyway. the ball must gain BC status *after* it gained FC status in order for a violation to be committed.

Ah, right. I see. As if it were a pass from BC to FC. Duh. Got so wrapped up in the "last to touch before it gained and first to touch after it gained" stuff, I forgot the second criteria, FC status.

BillyMac Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:23pm

Calvinball ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 652371)
Your play is BC-->FC. There is no rule against that.

Thank God. If that were true, then field goal tries would have to be taken from behind the division line. Of course a team could legally get it into the normally legal, but in this case "illegal", frontcourt, during a period of non-team control, like during the tapping of a rebound; or on an inbound play, jump ball, or steal, like the "real" exceptions. Could we have a ten second frontcourt violation?

Nevermind. Let's just leave the rules as they exist now.

Amesman Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:03am

kicking the kicker

One more, from the weekend. I think I kicked it but want to make sure one way or another.

A1 is point guard on the dribble in FC near the division line. B1 playing aggressively pokes the ball straight back. A1's next touch is off that loose bounce, not catching it but instead bouncing the ball on the division line to start dribbling again. BC violation? I passed on it. B coach exercised her opinion that I shouldn't have.

I was table side so I had time right away to point out to the coach it was poked away, but it was one of those moments where a wave of doubt hits just as you open your mouth. Kind of like as I'm typing this out and really think about the situation.

Nevadaref Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amesman (Post 653158)
One more, from the weekend. I think I kicked it but want to make sure one way or another.

A1 is point guard on the dribble in FC near the division line. B1 playing aggressively pokes the ball straight back. A1's next touch is off that loose bounce, not catching it but instead bouncing the ball on the division line to start dribbling again. BC violation? I passed on it. B coach exercised her opinion that I shouldn't have.

I was table side so I had time right away to point out to the coach it was poked away, but it was one of those moments where a wave of doubt hits just as you open your mouth. Kind of like as I'm typing this out and really think about the situation.

From your description A1 was the last to touch the ball before it hit the backcourt, the division line, and then the first to touch it after it bounced there. The coach was right. You failed to call a violation.

Upward ref Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 653168)
From your description A1 was the last to touch the ball before it hit the backcourt, the division line, and then the first to touch it after it bounced there. The coach was right. You failed to call a violation.

Even though B "poked" the ball away ?

jdw3018 Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Upward ref (Post 653193)

It doesn't matter who poked the ball away. All that matters is who was the last player to touch the ball in the front court. If A touches the ball, even after it's been poked away by B, before the ball goes into the backcourt, then A was the last to touch it in the frontcourt.

If B deflects the ball of A's leg, and A runs into the backcourt and retrieves the ball, it is a violation. If the ball is batted away by B without touching A, then A may legally retrieve the ball.

Nevadaref Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:54am

Quote:

Yes, this isn't the NBA.

Adam Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:57am

Quote:

Why does this matter? Here's a situation for you.

A1 dribbling in front court, guarded by B1. B1 bats the dribble and it hits A1's leg before going into the BC, where A2 recovers it.

You make the call.

Nevadaref Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018 (Post 653196)
It doesn't matter who poked the ball away. All that matters is who was the last player to touch the ball in the front court. If A touches the ball, even after it's been poked away by B, before the ball goes into the backcourt, then A was the last to touch it in the frontcourt.

If B deflects the ball of A's leg, and A runs into the backcourt and retrieves the ball, it is a violation. If the ball is batted away by B without touching A, then A may legally retrieve the ball.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 653202)
Why does this matter? Here's a situation for you.

A1 dribbling in front court, guarded by B1. B1 bats the dribble and it hits A1's leg before going into the BC, where A2 recovers it.

You make the call.

jdw beat you by four minutes. :p

jdw3018 Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 653207)
jdw beat you by four minutes. :p

I'm fast. Fast I tell you.