The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 03:42pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up Finally - a brilliant play!

I was talking to a buddy this morning who also officiates and he told me about something that happened in an 8th grade rec game he had earlier this week.

Team A is down 3 with about 7 seconds to go and they are to inbound in front court. As soon as they do, B1 fouls A1, not intentionally - he made a play on the ball. Team A is in single bonus. A1 goes to the line to shoot one and one with 5 seconds to go. He makes the first. He gets the ball for the second shot and coach B starts yelling at one of his players. B2 leaves the lane to go see what his coach wants and the official indicates a delayed violation on team B. A1 then shoots an airball. Team A has the AP arrow and they get the ball because of the double violation. Unfortunately for them, A2 misses a shot at the horn and they lose.

After the game, my buddy (who knows A1 because they live down the street from each other) asks him if he missed it on purpose. A1 told him "Duh, yeah" and said he knew they would get the ball back if he did. He said shooting the airball was much easier than trying to bang the ball back off the rim.

For you local guys, this kid will be attending Tualatin HS next year and intends to try out for basketball. Maybe he should try out for referee instead.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I was talking to a buddy this morning who also officiates and he told me about something that happened in an 8th grade rec game he had earlier this week.

Team A is down 3 with about 7 seconds to go and they are to inbound in front court. As soon as they do, B1 fouls A1, not intentionally - he made a play on the ball. Team A is in single bonus. A1 goes to the line to shoot one and one with 5 seconds to go. He makes the first. He gets the ball for the second shot and coach B starts yelling at one of his players. B2 leaves the lane to go see what his coach wants and the official indicates a delayed violation on team B. A1 then shoots an airball. Team A has the AP arrow and they get the ball because of the double violation. Unfortunately for them, A2 misses a shot at the horn and they lose.

After the game, my buddy (who knows A1 because they live down the street from each other) asks him if he missed it on purpose. A1 told him "Duh, yeah" and said he knew they would get the ball back if he did. He said shooting the airball was much easier than trying to bang the ball back off the rim.

For you local guys, this kid will be attending Tualatin HS next year and intends to try out for basketball. Maybe he should try out for referee instead.
I had their freshman boys game last night - close one, they wound up winning 50-49. It looks like a pretty good program from what I saw. If he has those kind of game smarts and decent skills he should fit right in.....
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

That's pretty darned quick thinking.

When I got to the end of the item, I was still trying to add up whether they'd have needed a 3 or a 2 to put the game into OT (it actually exists for some of us, Mark -- though not yet this season!)
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
That's pretty darned quick thinking.

When I got to the end of the item, I was still trying to add up whether they'd have needed a 3 or a 2 to put the game into OT (it actually exists for some of us, Mark -- though not yet this season!)

If this had been Mark's game, the shot would not have left the shooters hands before the horn sounding