The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

How bad does this look?

3 man, Girls Varsity.

Good game to the end of the first half. 31-29. I am the R. We had a very good ( my opinion ) pre game. Evaluator in the stands, we know it.

Visitors take a 20 point lead in the 4th quarter. With 35 seconds left in the game, from the lead, I call a foul on home team #30. Table tells me it is her 5th foul. I go to the coach and tell him, he turns to a player for replacement. I tell the table to start the 20 second clock, I turn to tell #30 that it's her 5th foul, but the sub comes to the table and I beckon the sub into the game. I turn and tell my partner 2 shots.

We shot one shot and the players jump in for the rebound. I blow and say " that was 2 shots" Partner comes to me and says " we already shot this first one, that was the second".....We get it right and go to P.O.I and give it back to home who rebounded the ball.

How bad did we look? Over all, we had a very good game for 31 minutes plus.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Huh? They shot the first while your back was turned and you were taking care of business
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 12:38pm
Livin' The Dream

I dont get why they would have shot the first one, when there was a disqualification? Where were you looking to allow this? And what were your partners doing?
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 12:39pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Before the "second" shot, you didn't hear your partner yell "one shot" or whatever?
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
Huh? They shot the first while your back was turned and you were taking care of business
Yes. When we went to shot the shoot that I thought was the first, but was the second, I was closer to the table and partner is not a loud person, so I did not hear him say " One"

It is a 94' floor and large gym with a crowd of about 250.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw1ns View Post
I dont get why they would have shot the first one, when there was a disqualification? Where were you looking to allow this? And what were your partners doing?
After I reported the foul, table told me " That's 5" I went to the coach, away from where we were shooting, So I am about 55 feet from the basket that we are shooting at. it all happened in about 15 seconds from the time I reported the foul, to tell the coach, to getting the sub into the game.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 12:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

1. It looks bad that your partner didn't look at you before administering the FT.
2. It looks bad that the C didn't notice either.
3. This is a good secondary reason to have your partner inform the coach that it's the 5th foul.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

I hope the evaluator had a dull pencil
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
3. This is a good secondary reason to have your partner inform the coach that it's the 5th foul.
So, I am near the table because I report the foul and they tell me " that's 5" And I should turn away from the table, go to my partner, tell him, " that's 5 on #30" and have him go to the coach and say " That's 5 coach"?

To me that slows the game down.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
I hope the evaluator had a dull pencil

No, we got it pretty good after the game. You wouldn't have wanted to be in the room. you really wouldn't have wanted to be outside of the door.....
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 12:54pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
3 man, Girls Varsity.

Good game to the end of the first half. 31-29. I am the R. We had a very good ( my opinion ) pre game. Evaluator in the stands, we know it.

Visitors take a 20 point lead in the 4th quarter. With 35 seconds left in the game, from the lead, I call a foul on home team #30. Table tells me it is her 5th foul. I go to the coach and tell him, he turns to a player for replacement. I tell the table to start the 20 second clock, I turn to tell #30 that it's her 5th foul, but the sub comes to the table and I beckon the sub into the game. I turn and tell my partner 2 shots.

We shot one shot and the players jump in for the rebound. I blow and say " that was 2 shots" Partner comes to me and says " we already shot this first one, that was the second".....We get it right and go to P.O.I and give it back to home who rebounded the ball.

How bad did we look? Over all, we had a very good game for 31 minutes plus.
I always inform my partner(s) before doing the coach/timer/player sequence. No rush.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So, I am near the table because I report the foul and they tell me " that's 5" And I should turn away from the table, go to my partner, tell him, " that's 5 on #30" and have him go to the coach and say " That's 5 coach"?

To me that slows the game down.
It keeps the coaches from retaliating against the 5th-foul-calling official.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I always inform my partner(s) before doing the coach/timer/player sequence. No rush.
+1

The official who reports the foul should handle the DQ/sub.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, we got it pretty good after the game. You wouldn't have wanted to be in the room. you really wouldn't have wanted to be outside of the door.....
Live and learn...don't let it happen again...you will pregame the heck of a disqualified players before your next game.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I know this is the mechanic Snaq, but in reality how practical is this in some cases? You go to the table to report a lot of times the scorer is already looking at you when you get there with the "five" up. Are you walking away from the table to go tell one of your partners (who are either lining up for free throw or inbounds) that you have five fouls, go tell the coach? It seems like most times if I come to the table I end up informing the coach just to keep things moving.