The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Can you clarify exactly what took place, even though you were not the R?

At the end of regulation, the running score in the book was 51-51. When the details were added up, they totaled 52. The scorer confirmed that she "filled in the circle" for a FT, but didn't put it in the running totals.

The visitors book was kept by a kid (looked like a freshman) at the end of the bench, and was a mess -- not much use in reconciling).

The totalling the details didn't happen (or conclude) until about 1 minute into OT. The scorekeeper blames the late totals and the missed score on a "member of the media" who was yapping at the table near the end of the game. (Maybe, and this is speculation, he was yapping about the score.)
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
F
So it seems that what was done during the extra period was that the scoreboard and the visiting book were changed to reflect what was already in the home/official book. If that is the case, and the official book was NOT changed at that point, then I would say that the game should have been terminated at that point.
Bzzzzzzzzt....

5-7-4

Case book clarifies that, whether or not the score is changed or not changed, once the ball becomes live you have to play out the extra period.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 10:22am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Bzzzzzzzzt....

5-7-4

Case book clarifies that, whether or not the score is changed or not changed, once the ball becomes live you have to play out the extra period.
Careful, partner, neither one of those plays involves the book correctly having one team leading at the end of regulation as Nevada was assuming (incorrectly it turns out) happened in Bob's game.

Personally, in Nevada's hypothetical, I'd be inclined to finish the overtime and let the state sort out the results later.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Personally, in Nevada's hypothetical, I'd be inclined to finish the overtime and let the state sort out the results later.
Agreed. I definitely see Nevada's point, and I even think I lean toward agreeing, but I'd be happy to finish the OT and allow the teams to work it out with the state if the results were different.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Careful, partner, neither one of those plays involves the book correctly having one team leading at the end of regulation as Nevada was assuming (incorrectly it turns out) happened in Bob's game.

It seems to me that the intent of the rule is pretty clear. Once you start overtime, you play overtime. If anything, this prevents a scorekeeper from going in and adding a point and saying "actually, the book was right at the end of regulation."

I'm playing on.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 11:22am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
From reading the article, I'm going to disagree, but I'll ask Bob for clarification since it was his game.

Bob, from the article it seems that the home book had the proper number of points for the home team in regulation, namely 52. I assume that this was the official book, and thus the official score. The fact that the scoreboard and the visiting book incorrectly displayed 51 shouldn't matter, right?
So it seems that what was done during the extra period was that the scoreboard and the visiting book were changed to reflect what was already in the home/official book. If that is the case, and the official book was NOT changed at that point, then I would say that the game should have been terminated at that point. This is different from changing the official book at some point in OT, which would cause the game to continue. In your case, had I been the R, I would have declared the home team the winner in regulation and filed a report with the state association/league.

Can you clarify exactly what took place, even though you were not the R?
Isn't the running score up top the "official" score? It was incorrect at the end of regulation. It was reconciled during the OT period.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Common sense application of 5-7-4 is that you continue with the overtime.

Official scorer gets fired shortly afterwards......
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 11:46am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
On a rules note, if more than one player was involved in an unsporting action, shouldn't they have assessed multiple technical fouls? And, is there any provision that would allow a team technical for unsporting behavior?
Called correctly. See the RULING in case book play 10.4.4SitB. If similar multiple infractions occur at approximately the same time, you charge one team "T" and an indirect "T" to the head coach. That is one situation where you can have an indirect "T" assessed along with a team "T".
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Called correctly. See the RULING in case book play 10.4.4SitB. If similar multiple infractions occur at approximately the same time, you charge one team "T" and an indirect "T" to the head coach. That is one situation where you can have an indirect "T" assessed along with a team "T".
Thanks for the cite, JR.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 06:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You're Welcome ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
It seems to me that the intent of the rule is pretty clear. Once you start overtime, you play overtime. If anything, this prevents Mark Padgett from going in and adding a point and saying "actually, the book was right at the end of regulation."
Fixed it for you (in red).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)