The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Tough calls tonight..

First time poster here. I am a second year official and I had some tough plays tonight. I thought this would make a nice first post.

The first tough play was at the end of the second quarter as time was running out.

I was the lead and Team A was quickly bringing the ball toward me in the front court. Player A is fouled underneath on a shot (which I call), just after I call the foul the buzzer sounds followed by the shot being made (continuation with the ball leaving the hand just after the buzzer). My initial reaction was to count the basket and I signaled it would count. Just after I signal, I realize the basket should not count. I then say its no basket and I go to the table and cancel the basket and report the foul with two free throws. The coach of team A is not happy about the basket not counting, but I explained to him, I signaled the made basket out of habit and the ball was still in his player's hand. This is the first time I have had this play and I thought it might help others. Thoughts on this?

We then had to waive off an end of third quarter basket (close call too).

Finally in the fourth quarter with 2:00 to go and a four point game with Team A leading, we have a 1 and 1 for team A. The player makes the first basket but he stepped on the foul line just after the release. I called the violation and obviously the coach wasn't too happy, and he says he hopes I'm right because it was a big call to make in that situation.

Just some interesting calls I thought I would share.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like you got all three decisions right.

It also seems that you have guts. I'm pleased to hear that from a 2nd year guy. Keep it up and may you have a fulfilling officiating career.

I will only add that you could have handled the first play slightly differently, if you had looked at the clock when blowing your whistle for the foul.
Had you done that and observed some time on the clock, then you could have counted the goal and put the exact time observed back on the clock prior to administering the FT. Of course, if you didn't look before the horn, then there is no definite knowledge and what you did was correct.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed Jan 13, 2010 at 11:25pm.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

First of all welcome.

On your first play, did you confer with your partner at all? If you were the lead, then last shot responsibilities probably belonged to your partner. I understand that you're watching the entire play and probably had a good look, but I'd confer with him to make sure anyway. It could be that he got screened??
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

I conferred with my partner just after I went to the table. I guess I should have done so before going to the table. Would that be correct?
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 11:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvref08 View Post
I conferred with my partner just after I went to the table. I guess I should have done so before going to the table. Would that be correct?
Yes, just to be safe.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 06:06am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
It also seems that you have guts.
Agreed.

Knowing the rules, being forceful and decisive, and making the right, tough calls no matter the situation, will definitely help you go a long way toward reaching your referee goals - whatever they may be. Good for you!
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

I am also a newer Official and I have been working at slowing myself down after blowing the whistle so I have time to process everything. I seem to find myself in a hurry and has caused me some similar problems.