The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 07:19am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Since JR started this thread, Rulz rules.
And JR says "Rulz rules..just about all of the time."

Jmo but I think that you can't make a blanket statement that covers every single circumstance, event, nuance, etc. of what we run into while officiating during our individual career. I realize that the FED tried to take the judgment out of this particular call but I also think that they didn't allow for all situations when they did so. And I think that the majority of officials realize that. It might be analgous to the situation in the past when throwing an elbow without contact was an automatic "T". Officials from sea to shining sea refused to call it because they thought the punishment didn't fit the crime. And the penalty was changed to a violation because of that.

Again this is jmo but I think that this is one example of where the strictest application of a rule doesn't really meet the purpose and intent of the rule. I can't think of one reason why this particular act could ever be called unsporting as long as no taunting was involved with it, or could ever affect the game in any way.

Note that the situation in the OP actually came up in a varsity boys game Tuesday night in one of the high school leagues that we cover. Our association's rules interpreter asked me for my thoughts on it. Which is why I asked for your thoughts on it. You can bet it will be discussed at our next general meeting.

I welcome further feedback and opinions on this one.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 07:34am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Is it a technical foul by rule?

Would you make this call if it was a technical foul by rule?
I do not know what you are talking about?

Peace
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 07:51am
Esteemed Forum Member

But Not My Pants ...

If the coaches have been real nasty to me, I'll take my striped jersey off before I leave the confines of the playing court. That will really show them that they pissed me off.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 14, 2010 at 07:55am.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Acting unsporting is one thing.

Removing the jersey is another.

A player removing his jersey can conceivably be done in an unsporting manner, but can also be conceivably done to let the player's little brother wear it.

Yet in Nevada each should be punished with a technical foul.

Sho, you right. I understood where the OP and everyone else is coming from on both sides of the fence. The point I was attempting to make is. We know by rule this should be punished. Yet, we want to pick and choose what rules and when we want to inforced them.

I know don't be a plumber either. Once again I get it. Personally, would I call this. I can't honestly say. I know when the final horn sounds and I'm not the Referee I am high tailing out of there especially a game that close.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 08:06am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie View Post
Sho, you right. I understood where the OP and everyone else is coming from on both sides of the fence. The point I was attempting to make is. We know by rule this should be punished. Yet, we want to pick and choose what rules and when we want to inforced them.

I know don't be a plumber either. Once again I get it. Personally, would I call this. I can't honestly say. I know when the final horn sounds and I'm not the Referee I am high tailing out of there especially a game that close.
What do you do differently if you're the R?
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Make eye contact with the official scorer and confirm that everything is okay with the book before leaving. You know that little responsibility that the R has at the end of each half of play to verify the score.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Note that the situation in the OP actually came up in a varsity boys game Tuesday night in one of the high school leagues that we cover. Our association's rules interpreter asked me for my thoughts on it. Which is why I asked for your thoughts on it. You can bet it will be discussed at our next general meeting.

I welcome further feedback and opinions on this one.
Since that is the case, I have to ask. The official charged a T, right? Otherwise, why would your association interpreter or you being hearing about this? I'm thinking that someone was unhappy because an official called a T after the final horn and called it in.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 08:29am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Make eye contact with the official scorer and confirm that everything is okay with the book before leaving. You know that little responsibility that the R has at the end of each half of play to verify the score.
Why do you have to make eye contact with the scorer? Isn't the score approved when you run off the court?

Peace
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 08:30am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
1. That doesn't take long enough to slow me down.
2. When you're the U, do you bail on your R?
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 08:41am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Since that is the case, I have to ask. The official charged a T, right? Otherwise, why would your association interpreter or you being hearing about this? I'm thinking that someone was unhappy because an official called a T after the final horn and called it in.
Nope, no technical foul was assessed. The official involved asked our interpreter whether he thought that one should have been given under those circumstances. The rules interpreter told him that he wouldn't recommend it if no unsporting behavior or taunting was involved. Fwiw I agreed.

We ask our people to bring questions like this to our attention. The biggest benefit is that we can discuss it at our next meeting, come to a consensus and ask all of our officials to try and call it uniformly if it ever comes up again. We've done this with other things like the "displaced shoe/untied shoelace" situation that came up in another thread.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I give the table a glance to see if their are any issues and hoping nothing is in my line of sight.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nope, no technical foul was assessed. The official involved asked our interpreter whether he thought that one should have been given under those circumstances. The rules interpreter told him that he wouldn't recommend it if no unsporting behavior or taunting was involved. Fwiw I agreed.

We ask our people to bring questions like this to our attention. The biggest benefit is that we can discuss it at our next meeting, come to a consensus and ask all of our officials to try and call it uniformly if it ever comes up again. We've done this with other things like the "displaced shoe/untied shoelace" situation that came up in another thread.

JR,

This scenerio is the very type, that should to be discussed with official(s), at all experience levels.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 10:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Most games there's a timeout near the end of the game where I can verify the score, etc. Then on the way off, I can (while moving) just look towards the table with a thumb up and get a quick signal. It doesn't slow me down a bit.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Jmo but I think that you can't make a blanket statement that covers every single circumstance, event, nuance, etc.
Well, most people can't.

But Nevada sure can.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Taking it further

OP but adding this is for the State Championship. Fans have rushed the court and one of the officials was not able to get out as fast as the rest of the crew. One of the players removes jersey and throws it into the air in celebration or disgust.

Are people really saying that this is a T they would call?

Hey where did that can of worms come from? I heard something hit a fan.