The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 10:54am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Season firsts last night

Freshman girls last night and I had some season firsts.

1. First intentional foul of the year. Visitors down by three, home gets a rebound on my side (I'm T, new L) with about 20 seconds left. V34 decides to ignore the ball and just puts two hands in her back and pushes her. She didn't push hard, but it was too obvious. No one said a word, but the girl apparently (from a discussion she had with my partner) didn't know she couldn't do that.

2. First time I've had to put the ball down for RPP in quite a while. Blue coach took her sweet time getting the girls out of the huddle, so I put it down. I heard someone in the crowd say, "he's counting." The girls come over and get the throw-in just in time. Oddly, didn't have any problems with either team the rest of the night.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 10:57am
Archaic Power Monger

Incidently, I had my second intentional foul of the year during a Freshman girl's game last night. The first one I had was working with the same partner back in November. I told him he is bad luck for me.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 11:01am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I heard someone in the crowd say, "he's counting."
I always find this funny! At least someone is paying attention!
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1. First intentional foul of the year. Visitors down by three, home gets a rebound on my side (I'm T, new L) with about 20 seconds left. V34 decides to ignore the ball and just puts two hands in her back and pushes her. She didn't push hard, but it was too obvious.
I also had my first intentional foul of the season. Very similar situation. No play on the ball, but a clear two handed push. Not violent, but it took the girl off her feet. Fouling team wanted to stop the clock, but I figure they preferred to have their opponent shooting the front end of bonus free throws rather than 2 shots and a throw in.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Freshman girls last night and I had some season firsts.

1. First intentional foul of the year. Visitors down by three, home gets a rebound on my side (I'm T, new L) with about 20 seconds left. V34 decides to ignore the ball and just puts two hands in her back and pushes her. She didn't push hard, but it was too obvious. No one said a word, but the girl apparently (from a discussion she had with my partner) didn't know she couldn't do that.
2nd one last night. A has outrebounded B all night. Late in the game, B1 tries for rebound, falls, and while on the ground grabs A1 by the legs. A1 stumbles a bit. I never thought about flagrant, should I have?
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
2nd one last night. A has outrebounded B all night. Late in the game, B1 tries for rebound, falls, and while on the ground grabs A1 by the legs. A1 stumbles a bit. I never thought about flagrant, should I have?

I think intentional suffices based on the info provided.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Flagrant" = "violent or savage" (or some such words from the definition). You can also think of it as "intent to harm".

I don't see that applying to the play you describe.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Had my first T at the varisty level on a coach last night. Fun stuff. Reminded me of the tirade in the "Words can't describe... this video" thread. Coach storming on the court after a TO is granted, screaming and pointing at my partner. I whacked her. Easy. Not as fun as I thought it would be though. More stressful.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 12:34pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I use the following criteria for determining if a foul is flagrant. If either one of the two happen, then it's flagrant.

1) intent to injure
2) total disregard for the safety of the other player
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You need to catch up I think I'm up to six so far, all in girls games, 4 of the 6 at the varsity level. Two were just a hair short of flagrant....
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 02:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Nah, intentional works just fine here.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nah, intentional works just fine here.
Agree.