The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Season firsts last night (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56425-season-firsts-last-night.html)

Adam Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:54am

Season firsts last night

Freshman girls last night and I had some season firsts.

1. First intentional foul of the year. Visitors down by three, home gets a rebound on my side (I'm T, new L) with about 20 seconds left. V34 decides to ignore the ball and just puts two hands in her back and pushes her. She didn't push hard, but it was too obvious. No one said a word, but the girl apparently (from a discussion she had with my partner) didn't know she couldn't do that.

2. First time I've had to put the ball down for RPP in quite a while. Blue coach took her sweet time getting the girls out of the huddle, so I put it down. I heard someone in the crowd say, "he's counting." The girls come over and get the throw-in just in time. Oddly, didn't have any problems with either team the rest of the night.

Welpe Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:57am

Incidently, I had my second intentional foul of the year during a Freshman girl's game last night. The first one I had was working with the same partner back in November. I told him he is bad luck for me. :D

grunewar Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 650992)
I heard someone in the crowd say, "he's counting."

I always find this funny! At least someone is paying attention!

Hartsy Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:03am

Quote:

1. First intentional foul of the year. Visitors down by three, home gets a rebound on my side (I'm T, new L) with about 20 seconds left. V34 decides to ignore the ball and just puts two hands in her back and pushes her. She didn't push hard, but it was too obvious.

I also had my first intentional foul of the season. Very similar situation. No play on the ball, but a clear two handed push. Not violent, but it took the girl off her feet. Fouling team wanted to stop the clock, but I figure they preferred to have their opponent shooting the front end of bonus free throws rather than 2 shots and a throw in.

dsqrddgd909 Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:48am

Quote:

Freshman girls last night and I had some season firsts.

1. First intentional foul of the year. Visitors down by three, home gets a rebound on my side (I'm T, new L) with about 20 seconds left. V34 decides to ignore the ball and just puts two hands in her back and pushes her. She didn't push hard, but it was too obvious. No one said a word, but the girl apparently (from a discussion she had with my partner) didn't know she couldn't do that.

2nd one last night. A has outrebounded B all night. Late in the game, B1 tries for rebound, falls, and while on the ground grabs A1 by the legs. A1 stumbles a bit. I never thought about flagrant, should I have?

constable Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 (Post 651032)
2nd one last night. A has outrebounded B all night. Late in the game, B1 tries for rebound, falls, and while on the ground grabs A1 by the legs. A1 stumbles a bit. I never thought about flagrant, should I have?

I think intentional suffices based on the info provided.

bob jenkins Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:13pm

Quote:

"Flagrant" = "violent or savage" (or some such words from the definition). You can also think of it as "intent to harm".

I don't see that applying to the play you describe.

bbcof83 Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:30pm

Had my first T at the varisty level on a coach last night. Fun stuff. Reminded me of the tirade in the "Words can't describe... this video" thread. Coach storming on the court after a TO is granted, screaming and pointing at my partner. I whacked her. Easy. Not as fun as I thought it would be though. More stressful.

Mark Padgett Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:34pm

I use the following criteria for determining if a foul is flagrant. If either one of the two happen, then it's flagrant.

1) intent to injure
2) total disregard for the safety of the other player

TimTaylor Wed Jan 13, 2010 02:36pm

Quote:

You need to catch up:D I think I'm up to six so far, all in girls games, 4 of the 6 at the varsity level. Two were just a hair short of flagrant....

Adam Wed Jan 13, 2010 02:39pm

Quote:

Nah, intentional works just fine here.

Chess Ref Wed Jan 13, 2010 02:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 651155)
Nah, intentional works just fine here.

Agree.