The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Coach on the court. What is your call?

14U boys AAU tournament in the 1st half. Team B is applying a full court press on Team A. Team B traps A1 on the sideline in the backcourt. A1 steps through the trap, and fires a pass downcourt that is caught...by Team B's coach, who is standing about 10' on the court (he is inside the 3-point line).
Call?
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 06:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

T
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

You would think so, wouldn't you? I brought this up because of the advantage/disadvantage discussion I read and how it related to violations.

The ball was awarded to Team B on the sideline. The explanation given was that "A1 was going to throw the ball away anyway, so Team B did not gain an advantage by the coach being on the court. A1 should have realized he was not passing to a teammate. If Coach B was between A1 and a teammate, I would call a technical on him."
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
T
What he said.........
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 06:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachCER View Post
You would think so, wouldn't you? I brought this up because of the advantage/disadvantage discussion I read and how it related to violations.

The ball was awarded to Team B on the sideline. The explanation given was that "A1 was going to throw the ball away anyway, so Team B did not gain an advantage by the coach being on the court. A1 should have realized he was not passing to a teammate. If Coach B was between A1 and a teammate, I would call a technical on him."
A/D does not apply to technical fouls. I'm editing as I write this, so you're not getting my first thoughts.

A coach 10 feet on the court is going to get at least a warning from me (and only one). A coach 10 feet on the court who catches a live ball is going to get a seat belt and find himself half way to Disqualified.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A/D does not apply to technical fouls. I'm editing as I write this, so you're not getting my first thoughts.

A coach 10 feet on the court is going to get at least a warning from me (and only one). A coach 10 feet on the court who catches a live ball is going to get a seat belt and find himself half way to Disqualified.
Gee, you're getting soft in your old age Snaq!
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

He will probably find himself all the way disqualified if I am the calling official.

Hmmm... Coming 10 feet onto the court and catching a live ball which was passed by the opposing team--Is this unacceptable behavior?
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, it is unacceptable behavior. But I don't think it is so far over the line that it warrants immediate ejection.

As always, just my $0.02.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 07:53pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Whack. No brainer.

Also a no brainer that it's not flagrant.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

2005-06 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 12: Team B has just scored to go up by three points with time running out in the fourth quarter. Player A1 inbounds the ball to A2 close to the sideline of Team B's bench. A2 releases a three-point try just prior to the horn sounding. Substitute B7 leaves the bench area, enters the court and blocks the shot. RULING: B7 shall be charged with two technical fouls and ejected. One technical foul is assessed for entering the court without permission and one for unsporting conduct. Any member of Team A may shoot the four free throws for the technical fouls. The results of these free throws will determine if the game is over or going into overtime. COMMENT: Two technical fouls must be assessed in this situation. Otherwise, the team committing the infraction would benefit from the act. (10-4-1; 10-4-2)
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 07:59pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

SITUATION 12: Team B has just scored to go up by three points with time running out in the fourth quarter. Player A1 inbounds the ball to A2 close to the sideline of Team B's bench. A2 releases a three-point try just prior to the horn sounding. Substitute B7 leaves the bench area, enters the court and blocks the shot. RULING: B7 shall be charged with two technical fouls and ejected. One technical foul is assessed for entering the court without permission and one for unsporting conduct. Any member of Team A may shoot the four free throws for the technical fouls. The results of these free throws will determine if the game is over or going into overtime. COMMENT: Two technical fouls must be assessed in this situation. Otherwise, the team committing the infraction would benefit from the act. (10-4-1; 10-4-2)
Apple situation to the orange play posted in the OP.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nevada this may have been asked before but do you have a cross reference rolodex of rules that points you back to an appropriate year for a rule interp. Or are you just that amazing?
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 08:09pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachCER View Post
That ties for the stoopidest call ever made.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
That ties for the stoopidest call ever made.
I agree but could you reveal what it is tied with. I assume it must be a doozy because this one is really stupid.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 08:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

I went ahead and highlighted the important part of this interp; you know, the part that explains why two Ts must be issued here. Oddly, it's also the part that makes this completely different than the OP.