LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 10:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Halfcourt basketball? Seriously??
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
I know it was still the case in 1978. I dated a girl at college who was all-state in IA in 6-person. In our college intramurals, she had a great offensive game, but definitely struggled on defense.
Yeah, as of the late 70's, Iowa schools could choose whether to play basketball as you know it or 6-player. This lasted until the 92-93 season, after which 6 player was no longer an option.

The differences boil down to:
1. Each team had three players in each half court, guards (defenders) and forwards (offense). Crossing the division line was a violation.
2. The ball could only legally be bounced twice during a dribble.
3. Top scorers typically averaged 40-50 points per game due to having fewer players to distribute the scoring.
4. After a score, the old lead would toss the ball to the new lead, who would hand it do the new forward standing in the semi-circle at half court for a throw-in; as he continued to the new lead position.

There were some other minor differences as well, but those are the key points.

In some states, the 6 player system divided the court into three sections rather than two.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 11:01am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Yeah, as of the late 70's, Iowa schools could choose whether to play basketball as you know it or 6-player. This lasted until the 92-93 season, after which 6 player was no longer an option.

The differences boil down to:
1. Each team had three players in each half court, guards (defenders) and forwards (offense). Crossing the division line was a violation.
2. The ball could only legally be bounced twice during a dribble.
3. Top scorers typically averaged 40-50 points per game due to having fewer players to distribute the scoring.
4. After a score, the old lead would toss the ball to the new lead, who would hand it do the new forward standing in the semi-circle at half court for a throw-in; as he continued to the new lead position.

There were some other minor differences as well, but those are the key points.

In some states, the 6 player system divided the court into three sections rather than two.
I remember a setup in VT that had 2 rovers, 2 forwards and 2 defenders. It resulted in 4 on 4 at the offensive end.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post

Along that line, If I give up a foul on a double whistle and point to calling partner, on occasion partner will point back at me to take it, by that time, I've purged everything. Hasn't happened lately, but when it does, I don't like to look stoopid at table.
This was also a trouble area in my game as well. However, I now pregame that we always come together on double whistles and tell each other what we have.
This not only eliminated the losing of the number but also identified when we actually did have a different fouler. Like in the situation where there is contact on both sides of the shooter.
We then decide who fouled first. Usually the coming together is no more than a couple of seconds.
It would be something like, “I got 52 on the arm”.
And my partner might say, “Same here”. Or he could end up saying,” I had a push by 12 before that”.
This has really been working well.