The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

In need of a trick

I'm looking for a trick to help me out. I work about a half varsity, half small college basketball. A couple of times a year I find myself dropping the number of a player committing the foul. I did it the other night in a blow out game (the only person in the gym that knows I dropped it was me and maybe the kid that got charged with the foul, but he didn't say anything). I need a trick to help me make sure I don't lose numbers again. Anyone got anythinig useful? I'm not looking for suggestions on what to do when it happens, I know I can go to my partners, players (women's college encourages this) and the bench officials. I'm just looking for something I can do in my head to make sure I quit dropping numbers.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Slow down. Stay with the play a couple more seconds before running off to the table. Point out your shooter, and then take your eyes back to the player that committed the foul -- get the number and then go to the table.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

I find doing a preliminary verbal and signal at the spot e.g. "Red 23, hold, White ball, sideline spot" helps me remember who the foul is on, because it's stuck in my mind now. Just repeat the number to the scorer.

Also, if you're lucky, your partner(s) may hear what you said out loud also, and can help if you do forget.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown View Post
I find doing a preliminary verbal and signal at the spot e.g. "Red 23, hold, White ball, sideline spot" helps me remember who the foul is on, because it's stuck in my mind now. Just repeat the number to the scorer.

Also, if you're lucky, your partner(s) may hear what you said out loud also, and can help if you do forget.
That's something I'll start doing. It'll help me slow down too.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleringer View Post
I'm looking for a trick to help me out. I work about a half varsity, half small college basketball. A couple of times a year I find myself dropping the number of a player committing the foul. I did it the other night in a blow out game (the only person in the gym that knows I dropped it was me and maybe the kid that got charged with the foul, but he didn't say anything). I need a trick to help me make sure I don't lose numbers again. Anyone got anythinig useful? I'm not looking for suggestions on what to do when it happens, I know I can go to my partners, players (women's college encourages this) and the bench officials. I'm just looking for something I can do in my head to make sure I quit dropping numbers.
I can't shake it myself. For some reason, I tend to focus on my shooter and drop the fouler. Slowing down seems to be the key.

Along that line, If I give up a foul on a double whistle and point to calling partner, on occasion partner will point back at me to take it, by that time, I've purged everything. Hasn't happened lately, but when it does, I don't like to look stoopid at table.

Last edited by fullor30; Mon Jan 11, 2010 at 11:56am.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 12:08pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I can't shake it myself. For some reason, I tend to focus on my shooter and drop the fouler. Slowing down seems to be the key.

Along that line, If I give up a foul on a double whistle and point to calling partner, on occasion partner will point back at me to take it, by that time, I've purged everything. Hasn't happened lately, but when it does, I don't like to look stoopid at table.
Especially in SE Washington.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

I’ve had this problem as well at times. I find that verbalizing the color and number of the fouler, like others have said, really helps. Take an extra couple of seconds to replay exactly what happened in your head before going to the table to report. I’m currently trying to make this a habit. For some reason, though, I have a tough time slowing down. But it definitly helps when I do it.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Especially in SE Washington.

I was going to throw in an eagles have landed reference!
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. All good suggestions. I think you hit it on the head when you say slow down. I work quite a bit and as the season goes on, I get on a bit of autopilot and probably are too quick leaving the play and going to the table. I don't do much for preliminary signals as a Women's memo or something I saw early this season asked us to get away from all of the preliminary signals.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleringer View Post
I don't do much for preliminary signals as a Women's memo or something I saw early this season asked us to get away from all of the preliminary signals.
There's a difference between "preliminary signals" and "communicating with your partners what you have at the spot."
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

I have started saying the fouler's number and then the foulee's number right after each other as if it were a PIN for the ATM. It helps me keep them both, so that I know I have the right shooter. Say them a couple of times to myself on the way to the table.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski View Post
I’ve had this problem as well at times. I find that verbalizing the color and number of the fouler, like others have said, really helps. Take an extra couple of seconds to replay exactly what happened in your head before going to the table to report. I’m currently trying to make this a habit. For some reason, though, I have a tough time slowing down. But it definitly helps when I do it.
Good suggestion. I blew one Saturday, Boys F. I think part of it is that on some of these boys the jersey folds over on the number, particularly in front.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 07:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Hate It When This Happens ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
If I give up a foul on a double whistle and point to calling partner, on occasion partner will point back at me to take it, by that time, I've purged everything.
Same thing here. I've purged the fouler, and I'm already trying to figure out who the foulee is in case we're shooting free throws.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 07:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Tough To Get Old ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
I have started saying the fouler's number and then the foulee's number right after each other... It helps me keep them both, so that I know I have the right shooter. Say them a couple of times to myself on the way to the table.
Good for you. I gave up trying to do that many, many years ago after reporting the foulee's number to the table on several occasions. Heck, I have difficulty remembering both numbers on a double foul on the way to the table.

Now if I could just find my keys?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 07:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Also Hate It When This Happens ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
I think part of it is that on some of these boys the jersey folds over on the number, particularly in front.
I tend to see this more in girls games. And I hate staring at their chests waiting to catch the number. It makes me feel like "a dirty old man".

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 11, 2010 at 08:14pm.