The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #16 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Somewhere on the earth
Posts: 1,601
What happened to the old trick of having the person that fouled raising their hand until the foul is reported?
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
What happened to the old trick of having the person that fouled raising their hand until the foul is reported?
This would require players actually believing they fouled while playing. The way some players react when I call a foul on them you'd think I accused them of being a serial killer or that they watch The Biggest Loser in their spare time!!
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 09:57pm
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
What happened to the old trick of having the person that fouled raising their hand until the foul is reported?
It disappeared in the 1970s.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Somewhere on the earth
Posts: 1,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
This would require players actually believing they fouled while playing. The way some players react when I call a foul on them you'd think I accused them of being a serial killer or that they watch The Biggest Loser in their spare time!!
Very true, considering I've seen a player foul then look at the reporting official with a deer-in-the-headlights look like they didn't do anything, or try arguing with the official (or the coach argues) that they didn't do anything wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Along that line, If I give up a foul on a double whistle and point to calling partner, on occasion partner will point back at me to take it, by that time, I've purged everything. Hasn't happened lately, but when it does, I don't like to look stoopid at table.
This is my Achilles heel as well. I can't tell you how many times, after giving up the foul, I instantly found myself hoping my partner didn't give it back as I'd lost the info.

My goal is to continue to grow my game management, and taking in more and more info is part of that for me. I now often can tell you who a partner called a foul on, if that is 3 or 4 on a player, how many of those I've called, etc...except when I give up a foul on a double whistle. Have to continue working on that one...
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 10:22pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
It disappeared in the 1970s.
Wasn't it still a rule in the 80's? I remember doing it when I played, but can't remember if it was still a rule or if it was still just part of the tradition.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 11:02pm
Aleve Titles to Others
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Westchester of the Southern Conference
Posts: 5,381
Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Wasn't it still a rule in the 80's? I remember doing it when I played, but can't remember if it was still a rule or if it was still just part of the tradition.
I was a junior in the 73-74 season which was that last season where the fouling player had to raise his hand. The 74-75 season ushered in the 'feel good' era in which the rules committee did not want the offending person to 'feel guilty' by raising his hand. I continued to do so as a player. I detested political correctness even then.
__________________
Never hit a piņata if you see hornets flying out of it.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 11:15pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
I was a junior in the 73-74 season which was that last season where the fouling player had to raise his hand. The 74-75 season ushered in the 'feel good' era in which the rules committee did not want the offending person to 'feel guilty' by raising his hand. I continued to do so as a player. I detested political correctness even then.
As evidenced by the fact that they clung to half-court girls basketball until 1993, traditions tend to last a while in Iowa.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
What happened to the old trick of having the person that fouled raising their hand until the foul is reported?
It hasn't been a rule at the HS level for 35 years.
Rule was rescinded by NFHS prior to the start of the 1974 season.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 09:18am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 16
Hate this so much I pregame it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Same thing here. I've purged the fouler, and I'm already trying to figure out who the foulee is in case we're shooting free throws.
I hate it when this happens, and had it happen a few times, so now I pregame it. I won't "give up" the call by pointing at my partner...we will pregame that someone "takes" it. IE, if the call is in their PCA, they will tap their chest/otherwise signal "I got this." If I think we have something different, we can take that extra second and I can jog over to discuss.

I've found that it helps tremendously, and especially on forgetting who the fouler was. I had the same problem, that I would instantly assume my partner had the call, and forget who the call was on. Bad news when partner did the same!
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 09:52am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
This is my Achilles heel as well. I can't tell you how many times, after giving up the foul, I instantly found myself hoping my partner didn't give it back as I'd lost the info.
Don't instantly give it up. Use it as an opportunity to confirm the call. Then, you;ll both have to get the numbers.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 10:12am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Don't instantly give it up. Use it as an opportunity to confirm the call. Then, you;ll both have to get the numbers.
Good advice. I know what's happening - rather than focusing on the fouler/foulee "through and after" the play, I'm focusing on my partner and letting my focus wander.

Something good to work on tonight...along with a switch back to 2-man mechanics for the first time in three years...
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 10:34am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
As evidenced by the fact that they clung to half-court girls basketball until 1993, traditions tend to last a while in Iowa.
Halfcourt basketball? Seriously??
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 10:43am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Detroit Metro
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Halfcourt basketball? Seriously??
I know it was still the case in 1978. I dated a girl at college who was all-state in IA in 6-person. In our college intramurals, she had a great offensive game, but definitely struggled on defense.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 10:57am
Aleve Titles to Others
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Westchester of the Southern Conference
Posts: 5,381
Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
I know it was still the case in 1978. I dated a girl at college who was all-state in IA in 6-person. In our college intramurals, she had a great offensive game, but definitely struggled on defense.
Was she related to Rick Mount?
__________________
Never hit a piņata if you see hornets flying out of it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OT - Amazing Bat Trick grunewar Baseball 6 Sat Jun 20, 2009 03:20pm
Trick plays oc Basketball 18 Fri Jun 16, 2006 01:30pm
Trick Play goldcoastump Baseball 6 Mon Mar 06, 2006 02:33pm
Trick plays Tundra Ref Football 5 Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:10am
Trick Play alabamabluezebra Football 6 Wed Nov 12, 2003 04:45am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1