The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 09:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Were they the only two players who headed the wrong way?
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 01:54pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I chose not to add that to the current thread, since the foul prevented the basket from counting. I was focused on what the officials should have done in their situation.
Well that makes sense...although nothing else they did makes any!!
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 01:54pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Were they the only two players who headed the wrong way?
Good question...I'll ask him the next time we talk.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

It's like the last scene in White Man Can't Jump where Wesley tells Woody he isn't shooting at Zaire, he is shooting at Zimbabwe! What would they have done had the shooter turned around and chucked the free throw into the other hoop?
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Would there be an alternative administration of this play?

4-5-4 "If by mistake the officials permit a team to go the wrong direction, when discovered all points scored, fouls committed, and time consumed shall count as if each team had gone the proper direction. Play shall resume with each team going the proper direction based on bench location"

Could you claim that since the "shot" was defended/fouled that both teams were confused on their directions? Thus counting the basket as a 3 and going to the correct basket to administer ft?
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Would there be an alternative administration of this play?

4-5-4 "If by mistake the officials permit a team to go the wrong direction, when discovered all points scored, fouls committed, and time consumed shall count as if each team had gone the proper direction. Play shall resume with each team going the proper direction based on bench location"

Could you claim that since the "shot" was defended/fouled that both teams were confused on their directions? Thus counting the basket as a 3 and going to the correct basket to administer ft?
Yes. That's why snaqwells asked if they were the only two players going the wrong way.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 03:50pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Yes. That's why snaqwells asked if they were the only two players going the wrong way.
And it seems they were...according to my sources, the other V players were yelling at her to stop and not shoot.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 04:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
And it seems they were...according to my sources, the other V players were yelling at her to stop and not shoot.
Ok. My take: Common foul, no basket, ball OOB to the "shooter's" team at the spot nearest the foul.

BTW, #2 and #3 make no sense what-so-ever. Ugh! Sounds like these guys got all confused and couldn't think straight for a minute or two.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

I agree 100% with Snaqwells.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 04:30pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
:

2)Put V shooter on the line to shoot 1 free throw - AT HOME TEAM'S BASKET!!!
"Excuse me, Mr. Ref. But, now that I know this is the wrong basket, do I have to try to make it anyway, or...............what??"

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Got a call from a buddy to tell me about this play from his daughter's JV game Friday night...

Opening jump (jumpers facing right direction). Tip to Visiting player who takes off toward Home basket (no backcourt violation or anything). V pulls up and shoots 3 pointer - gets hit in arm - ref blows whistle - ball goes in the Home team basket.

Refs huddle up (3 person) and discuss it for a minute or so and then do this (get ready, cause it's pretty good):

1) Count the basket and give Home 3 points.

2)Put V shooter on the line to shoot 1 free throw - AT HOME TEAM'S BASKET!!!

3)V purposefully misses free throw and slams ball off backboard, and refs call a free throw violation and give Home the ball under their own basket!:

Silly monkeys.
Did the refs actually know the player was shooting at the wrong basket? It's been said throughout several posts, but I'm going to say it as an agreement and to put it all in one post instead of throughout several posts:

Common foul. Only two points are awarded, scorer should make note of player shooting in wrong basket (this is a bad moment, I used to scorekeep for biddy and high school years ago). Ball is taken out of bounds nearest to the spot of the foul and given to the team that just got fouled. Make sure teams are going in the correct direction this time.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
"Excuse me, Mr. Ref. But, now that I know this is the wrong basket, do I have to try to make it anyway, or...............what??"
"Yes, you have to. It's in the rulebook that every FT should be attempted to be made"

(yes, I know it isn't actually in the rulebook)
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 12:48am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Did the refs actually know the player was shooting at the wrong basket? It's been said throughout several posts, but I'm going to say it as an agreement and to put it all in one post instead of throughout several posts:

Common foul. Only two points are awarded, scorer should make note of player shooting in wrong basket (this is a bad moment, I used to scorekeep for biddy and high school years ago). Ball is taken out of bounds nearest to the spot of the foul and given to the team that just got fouled. Make sure teams are going in the correct direction this time.
Nope. No points are scored. The ball becomes dead when a foul is called, with certain exceptions that do not apply here since it is not a try when a player shoots at the wrong basket.