The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Backcourt - Correct Call?

We had a bit of discussion over this play Fri night. Didn't actually happen, just a scenario. Team A control in FC, A1 taps ball towards division line, A2 jumps from FC towards BC, grabs ball in air and throws bounce pass back towawrds FC. Ball bounces in BC and is then recovered by A1 in FC either a) before bouncing in FC or b) after bouncing in FC (not touched by any other player). To me this is a violation per 9-9-1 in both a) & b) but there was some disagreement amongst the group..thoughts?
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Violation.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow whistle View Post
We had a bit of discussion over this play Fri night. Didn't actually happen, just a scenario. Team A control in FC, A1 taps ball towards division line, A2 jumps from FC towards BC, grabs ball in air and throws bounce pass back towawrds FC. Ball bounces in BC and is then recovered by A1 in FC either a) before bouncing in FC or b) after bouncing in FC (not touched by any other player). To me this is a violation per 9-9-1 in both a) & b) but there was some disagreement amongst the group..thoughts?
Violation because A2 caused the ball to bounce in the backcourt

-Josh
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Violation.

But, causing the ball to bounce in the backcourt is NOT a violation. It is about the order of events....not the specific events.

There are four items needed for a backcourt violation....
  1. Team Control...check
  2. Ball has frontcourt status....check
  3. A player from team A was the last to touch the ball BEFORE it gained backcourt status...check
  4. A player from team A was the first to touch the ball AFTER it gained backcourt status....check.
Once the ball touched the BC, any other place the ball touches and when is not relevent.

Note that it doesn't specific that there be player control in the frontcourt, only team control...player control may have only existed in the backcourt.

Note that the before and after elements don't require the team to have touched the ball in any specific location....only to have been the one to touch the ball last before and first after the point at which it gains BC status.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 03:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow whistle View Post
We debated this play a couple of years ago on here. About 95% of us agreed that both situations were backcourt violations. One poster vehemently disagreed and wrote to Mary Struckhoff about it and she stated that it was NOT a violation. Shortly thereafter that silly interpretation was issued.

Here are two threads on this from 2007:
Backcourt violation...maybe

Backcourt violation or not?

Last edited by Nevadaref; Mon Jan 11, 2010 at 03:26am.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 03:41am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
We debated this play a couple of years ago on here. About 95% of us agreed that both situations were backcourt violations. One poster vehemently disagreed and wrote to Mary Struckhoff about it and she stated that it was NOT a violation. Shortly thereafter that silly interpretation was issued.

Here are two threads on this from 2007:
Backcourt violation...maybe

Backcourt violation or not?
You mean there were two of them??

The silly interpretation I remember was when the defense knocked the ball into backcourt, it was caught by the offense, and they said it was a violation.

There is a silly one about this situation, too??

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 04:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
You mean there were two of them??

The silly interpretation I remember was when the defense knocked the ball into backcourt, it was caught by the offense, and they said it was a violation.

There is a silly one about this situation, too??
Click on the links which I posted and read the threads, especially post #13 in the first one. You will be shocked.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 08:29am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Click on the links which I posted and read the threads, especially post #13 in the first one. You will be shocked.
I did and I was, but nothing was ever published, interp or anything else, about this one, was it?

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I did and I was, but nothing was ever published, interp or anything else, about this one, was it?

Not that I know of for FED. But, NCAA AR 218 is a similar play, and it's ruled a violation. So, I'm calling it a violation in FED games.