The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Tidewater Virginia
Posts: 252
This is what happened in a V-Boys scrimmage yesterday.

After a made basket, Blue inbounds and is advancing the ball from backcourt toward frontcourt under defensive pressure. Blue 1 passes to Blue 2 who dribbles toward the division line, is trapped by two red players, and picks up the ball with one foot in frontcourt and the other in the air. He then passes back to Blue 3 who is airborn from backcourt to front court. I call a backcourt violation, the justification being Blue 2 established himself front court when he picked up the ball with one foot frontcourt and the other in the air.

Both partners disagreed with my call saying Blue 2 had not established himself in front court because he needed to have both feet frontcourt first.

I told them I agreed if he was dribbling, but not if he was holding the ball.

Anyone got an older casebook play that addresses this specific situation?
__________________
Failure is fertile ground on which to plant new seeds.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Mid-Hudson valley, New York
Posts: 751
Send a message via AIM to Lotto
I don't have a casebook play, but you got the call right. Good job!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 24
you were right.

While hlding the ball and one foot already establish front court once the back foot is lifted off the floor the ball has front court status.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Lawton, OK
Posts: 505
Ranjo, way to stick to your guns. Maybe your partners should start attending this forum.

The closest reference I can find in the Case Book is 4.4.1 - A2 catches the ball while both feet are on the floor, with one foot on either side of the division line. A2 lifts the foot which is in the frontcourt and then puts it back on the floor in the backcourt, IT IS A BACKCOURT VIOLATION. When A2, WHILE HOLDING THE BALL, lifts the foot which was in the backcourt, the ball is now in the frontcourt. When A2's foot then touches in the backcourt, it is a violation.

The key is as you said "holding the ball"

__________________________________________________ _________
“The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion."--James Russell Lowell
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 04:02am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 423
Sounds like your partners got confused with the football rule of having to re-establish both feet inbounds, this call gets botched a lot. Good call.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 08:12am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Near Dog River (sorta)
Posts: 8,557
Thumbs up Good call.

__________________
Pope Francis
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 09:04am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Houghton, U.P., Michigan
Posts: 9,953
Wink Need an edit.

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
Ranjo, way to stick to your guns. Maybe your partners should start attending this forum.

The closest reference I can find in the Case Book is 4.4.1 - A2 catches the ball while both feet are on the floor, with one foot on either side of the division line. A2 lifts the foot which is in the frontcourt and then puts it back on the floor in the backcourt, IT IS A BACKCOURT VIOLATION. When A2, WHILE HOLDING THE BALL, lifts the foot which was in the backcourt, the ball is now in the frontcourt. When A2's foot then touches in the backcourt, it is a violation.

The key is as you said "holding the ball"

__________________________________________________ _________
“The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion."--James Russell Lowell
Oops.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,557
Quote:
Originally posted by SMEngmann
Sounds like your partners got confused with the football rule of having to re-establish both feet inbounds, this call gets botched a lot.
Never heard of that rule.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,592
something in the front court and nothing in the backcourt makes for front court possession.
__________________
Do you ever feel like your stuff strutted off without you?
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 16
Pivot foot?

If the player is holding the ball and straddling the line, and picks up his backcourt foot to pivot, and returns it to the backcourt, this is a backcourt violation?!! I wouldn't think so.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 05:10pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,221
Re: Pivot foot?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hard
If the player is holding the ball and straddling the line, and picks up his backcourt foot to pivot, and returns it to the backcourt, this is a backcourt violation?!! I wouldn't think so.
Unfortunately, you would think wrong. Case book play 4.4.1(a) is the exact same play, and the ruling there is that it's a backcourt violation.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 16
pivot foot

I guess that's why I check this place out. I'm always learning. Thanks for the reference.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Lawton, OK
Posts: 505
Re: Need an edit.

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
Ranjo, way to stick to your guns. Maybe your partners should start attending this forum.

The closest reference I can find in the Case Book is 4.4.1 - A2 catches the ball while both feet are on the floor, with one foot on either side of the division line. A2 lifts the foot which is in the frontcourt and then puts it back on the floor in the backcourt, IT IS A BACKCOURT VIOLATION. When A2, WHILE HOLDING THE BALL, lifts the foot which was in the backcourt, the ball is now in the frontcourt. When A2's foot then touches in the backcourt, it is a violation.

The key is as you said "holding the ball"

__________________________________________________ _________
“The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion."--James Russell Lowell
Oops.
Mick, just testing to see if you were awake.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1