The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   You make da call (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56345-you-make-da-call.html)

Hugh Refner Sat Jan 09, 2010 08:50pm

You make da call

NF rules. A1 passes to A2. A2 bats (not catches) the ball down to the floor and pins it there. While his hands are on top of the ball pressing down, he drops to his knees. Travel? Remember, he's wasn't "holding" the ball when his knees touched the floor, just pushing on it. Is there a difference?

just another ref Sun Jan 10, 2010 02:33am

You said it. He wasn't holding the ball. No travel.

tjones1 Sun Jan 10, 2010 02:12pm

4-44
Traveling (running with the ball) is moving a foot or feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits while holding the ball.

Anchor Sun Jan 10, 2010 02:27pm

Player is in control. There is no definition for "holding the ball" though the description meets the basic qualifications a held ball (4-25). I vote for traveling (though it is not a hill I am willing to die on).

APG Sun Jan 10, 2010 03:42pm

I vote for no travel.

mbyron Sun Jan 10, 2010 03:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 649756)
4-44
traveling (running with the ball) is moving a foot or feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits while holding the ball.

+1

BktBallRef Sun Jan 10, 2010 04:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anchor (Post 649761)
Player is in control. There is no definition for "holding the ball" though the description meets the basic qualifications a held ball (4-25). I vote for traveling (though it is not a hill I am willing to die on).

Ah, you might want to read the definition in the post prior to yours, where it says traveling occurs while "holding the ball."

Adam Sun Jan 10, 2010 09:21pm

A1 gets control on the floor, sets it down next to him, then gets up. This is a travel.
Had the player held it first, prior to pinning it, you could justify a travel call based on the inverse of this play.

Good case Hugh, play on though.

just another ref Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 649864)
A1 gets control on the floor, sets it down next to him, then gets up. This is a travel.
Had the player held it first, prior to pinning it, you could justify a travel call based on the inverse of this play.

I don't get it.

Anchor Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 649786)
Ah, you might want to read the definition in the post prior to yours, where it says traveling occurs while "holding the ball."

He pins the ball to the floor and runs a little circle around it. Travel or no? "Holding the ball" does not necessarily have to mean that he has it gripped tightly between 2 hands.

Adam Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anchor (Post 649890)
He pins the ball to the floor and runs a little circle around it. Travel or no? "Holding the ball" does not necessarily have to mean that he has it gripped tightly between 2 hands.

Let me ask you this, would you grant a TO if he was pinning the ball to the floor?

just another ref Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 649920)
Let me ask you this, would you grant a TO if he was pinning the ball to the floor?

If you hadn't asked this question, I probably would have, but now I wouldn't.
The player with the ball pinned is neither holding nor dribbling it. There is no player control, so no timeout.

Anchor Mon Jan 11, 2010 08:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 649920)

Actually was going to use that question instead, but the thought of the guy leaning on his arm running around in circles was more amusing.

Answer, if his hand was on top of the ball and he had it forcefully pinned (which is the way I have pretty much pictured this whole scenario) I would most likely grant the TO.

mbyron Mon Jan 11, 2010 09:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anchor (Post 650004)
Answer, if his hand was on top of the ball and he had it forcefully pinned (which is the way I have pretty much pictured this whole scenario) I would most likely grant the TO.

Which criterion of 'player control' has this player satisfied?

FrankHtown Mon Jan 11, 2010 01:23pm

Ok...player has hands big enought to palm the basketball. Now, is the player holding it, even though it's on the floor?

slow whistle Mon Jan 11, 2010 01:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankHtown (Post 650138)
Ok...player has hands big enought to palm the basketball. Now, is the player holding it, even though it's on the floor?

Are his fingers closed around it? Have to judge whether or not he is controlling it, I am probably saying he is not unless he is obviously palming it and moving it around....a htbt for sure...

Forksref Mon Jan 11, 2010 01:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anchor (Post 649761)

NOPE Does not meet the "basic qualifications a held ball." Held ball must be by OPPONENTS - Read 4-25 again.

Anchor Mon Jan 11, 2010 02:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 650017)
Which criterion of 'player control' has this player satisfied?

If the defender did a belly slide and grabbed the ball on each side while the guy had his hand on top would it be a held ball?

FrankHtown Mon Jan 11, 2010 02:39pm

Great point, Anchor.

If the player on the floor could contest the defender taking the ball, then yes...he was "holding " the ball.

tjones1 Mon Jan 11, 2010 03:01pm

Well, yes, but...

4-25
HELD BALL
A held ball occurs when:

4-25-1
Opponents have their hands so firmly on the ball that control cannot be obtained without undue roughness.

It doesn't say they are "holding"...

mbyron Mon Jan 11, 2010 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anchor (Post 650167)
If the defender did a belly slide and grabbed the ball on each side while the guy had his hand on top would it be a held ball?

I asked about player control. You're talking about a held ball. Different animals.

FrankHtown Mon Jan 11, 2010 03:38pm

How can you have your hands firmly on the ball without holding it?

Let's get the NF to define what "holding ....a live ball inbounds" means. Until then my interpretation may be different from others.

just another ref Mon Jan 11, 2010 03:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankHtown (Post 650213)

Let's get the NF to define what "holding ....a live ball inbounds" means. Until then my interpretation may be different from others.

Player goes up to shoot. Big guy there waiting for him. Puts one hand firmly on the ball and stuffs player, ball, and all back to the floor. Result: Held ball.
Did the defender actually hold the ball? NO

Adam Mon Jan 11, 2010 04:16pm

I know the rule sets are different, but the premise is the same, IMO. In football, a catch requires the ball not touch the ground; IOW the player does not catch it if he has trapped it with the ground. I would apply the same principal here, but only because the NFHS has not defined a player holding the ball.

If it's not clear, it's not a violation.

Jurassic Referee Mon Jan 11, 2010 04:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 650216)
Player goes up to shoot. Big guy there waiting for him. Puts one hand firmly on the ball and stuffs player, ball, and all back to the floor. Result: Held ball.
Did the defender actually hold the ball? NO

Agree, but a different criterion is used in this particular case. And that criterion is that the defender prevented the shooter from releasing the ball. There is nothing in the rule governing this situation that states the defender also has to be holding the ball to prevent the shot.

Case book play 4.25.2

Note the usage of the word "criterion". I learned that one from our resident cunning linguist, MByron. I are now wise beyond my years.

just another ref Mon Jan 11, 2010 04:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 650242)
There is nothing in the rule governing this situation that states the defender also has to be holding the ball to prevent the shot.

That was my whole point. I was answering a question.

Quote:

tjones1 Mon Jan 11, 2010 04:35pm

Quote:

Anchor gave a pretty good example.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anchor (Post 650167)

Jurassic Referee Mon Jan 11, 2010 04:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 650244)
That was my whole point. I was answering a question.

And the least that you coulda done was thank me for providing rules backing for your point.

But that's OK.......:mad:

FrankHtown Mon Jan 11, 2010 05:04pm

JAR, I understand your point. The point I was trying to make concerns the player on the floor with his hand on the ball....not a defender blocking a shot.

Still the question is open: Does a hand on the ball while the ball is on the floor constitute holding the ball?

Has anyone ever seen a player dive for a loose ball, put a hand on it, and request a time out? Do you grant it or not? If you believe he/she is "holding" the ball, you should grant the time out. If you believe they are not holding the ball you let play continue. I'm of the school I'd grant the time out.

As Anchor said, if a defender then comes and puts their hand(s) on the ball, do you call a held ball? If the defender can't get it loose from the player on the floor with one hand on it, by definition, the player on the floor is "holding" it. I'd probably call a held ball also.

Adam Mon Jan 11, 2010 05:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankHtown (Post 650256)
JAR, I understand your point. The point I was trying to make concerns the player on the floor with his hand on the ball....not a defender blocking a shot.

Still the question is open: Does a hand on the ball while the ball is on the floor constitute holding the ball?

Has anyone ever seen a player dive for a loose ball, put a hand on it, and request a time out? Do you grant it or not? If you believe he/she is "holding" the ball, you should grant the time out. If you believe they are not holding the ball you let play continue. I'm of the school I'd grant the time out.

As Anchor said, if a defender then comes and puts their hand(s) on the ball, do you call a held ball? If the defender can't get it loose from the player on the floor with one hand on it, by definition, the player on the floor is "holding" it. I'd probably call a held ball also.

To me, holding the ball implies control. A player with the ball pinned to the floor can't do anything else with it except keep it pinned. I'm not granting this TO, and I'm not calling traveling, and I'm not starting a 5 second count.

BillyMac Mon Jan 11, 2010 08:07pm

Criterion ??? Isn't That A Telescope Brand ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 650242)
Note the usage of the word "criterion". I learned that one from our resident cunning linguist, mbyron.

He's better than using a "Word of the Day" Calendar.

mbyron Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 650313)
He's better than using a "Word of the Day" Calendar.

Gramercy!

bob jenkins Tue Jan 12, 2010 09:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankHtown (Post 650256)

The ball needn't be held to have a held ball.