The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

First time (for me, at least)

I was worried about getting out the door at work on time to get to my game yesterday as my boss saddled me with a time-sensitive project at the end of the day. Then, I get in my car and realize I have to travel about 40 miles and am almost at the E end of the gas gauge. Grrr. So I stop for gas, get on the freeway and put the pedal to the metal, all the while having a nagging feeling I was forgetting something, but couldn't put my finger on it.

I make it to the site about two minutes early, luckily, thanks to good roads. I walk to the locker room and something doesn't seem quite right. It's more quiet than it usually is and my partner isn't there yet. I've worked with him before and he always beats me to the game site, and, come to think of it, he didn't call me earlier in the day to confirm the game.

Oh well. I shrug it off and start pulling stuff out of my bag when the assistant AD comes in and asks if I'm sure there's a game tonight.

Not the words I want to hear.

I tell him yes, I'm almost certain there is a game tonight, I had checked my schedule earlier in the day. He gets on the phone to the AD while I get on the phone with my wife to check Arbiter.

While I'm waiting for her to log on, he tells me "It's an away game."

Crap. The away site is over a half hour away and it's now a half hour to game time. Did my assignor put the game in wrong? My wife is on the phone telling me my assignment definitely told me it was at the site where I now am. But the team isn't there. And they are definitely playing tonight.

Then the AAD pipes up...."But we do have a home game on Thursday." At the same time, my wife on the phone says "Oooohhhhh....your game's on Thursday, not today."

Weeeelllll......I feel sheepish....

So, I skulk out the door with a red face and head home for a night off.

Lesson learned. Double and triple and quadruple check your schedule before you leave for the game site.

Turns out it was right in Arbiter and I had it right in my Entourage schedule, but for some reason I had in my mind that it was last night. Go figure.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

I hate the feeling that you "forgot something". Last night I worked with two guys that I have never worked with before. We had great communication the month preceding the game so I knew all the details of everything. But I got nervous when I got the the game site that I had forgot some piece of apparel. Turns out I didn't forget anything.

-Josh
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 11:18am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Thumbs down That Sux!

I was moved gyms once during a V fall league..... Arrived customarily early only to have evaluator/trainer tell me to go to another gym. I made it right at the tipoff. Man I hate that!
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Last night I was at my site at 5:00 for what I thought was a 5:30 game. Turns out it was a 6:00 game. Better early than late I guess
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 11:36am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Last night I was at my site at 5:00 for what I thought was a 5:30 game. Turns out it was a 6:00 game. Better early than late I guess
Last year my partners and I arrived at 3:30 for a 4:00 game (customary for early JV games), only to find out all the games had been moved back 90 minutes. Didn't start til 5:30, so one partner had to bail. One of the Varsity guys (who had showed up in time for their 5:30 schedule) worked two.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 11:42am
Get away from me, Steve.

For this reason (thinking I forgot something), I carry extra socks and whistles and an extra needle and such in a special compartment of my bag I never open. I know I will always have socks, even if I forget them.

Now, if I forget my shoes, I'm out of luck.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 12:01pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Now, if I forget my shoes, I'm out of luck.
I've got two pairs of them in my bag too just in case.

My wife thinks I'm absolutely crazy - two pants, shirts, shoes, socks, whistles, underarmor shirts, etc. Unfortuantely my roller-bag is big and heavy....but, I'm prepared for most eventualities!
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I'm prepared for most eventualities!
What if you forget your bag?
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 12:09pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post

He probably has a second bag that is always in his trunk.

I'm forever paranoid about forgetting my shoes for some reason. I just know it is going to happen to me one day.
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Like I mentioned yesterday, I have a spare bag that never leaves my trunk. Contains whistle, socks, black t-shirt, old shirt, old pants, and the first pair of shoes I bought for officiating.
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He has another in his extra car at work.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 12:11pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Like I mentioned yesterday, I have a spare bag that never leaves my trunk. Contains whistle, socks, black t-shirt, old shirt, old pants, and the first pair of shoes I bought for officiating.
Wow, I was just joking...
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 12:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
He has another in his extra car at work.
Wait til Tanner hears about this helpful hint.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 12:20pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Wow, I was just joking...
I forgot my shoes twice early in my career. The first time I was about 10-15 minutes from my house and could have went home but my partner was a no-show. So I didn't want to chance leaving not getting back in time (turns out partner was involved in a traffic accident some 25-30 minutes away during rush hour). So I wore my Bates combat boots (black w/black rubber soles) while doing a half of BJV by myself.

The 2nd time was after I retired from the Air Force. The game was 40 miles from my house. I was working the GV after the GJV. Neither of the JV officials could stick around to work my game. My partner was in the military so I wore his size 11 1/2 Bates combat boots--I wear a 13/14

Thus, I now have spare bag with all the essentials. And that bag does not leave my trunk.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 12:28pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Then I just keep driving....right past the gym and call my partner(s) and tell them there was a terrible accident and I won't be at the game!