The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Pecking order

Had an official who is a friend, strictly does frosh/soph games with no aspirations. He's a good, dedicated official who studies the rules and takes the game seriously. In my area, there are multiple games going on at one school, freshman A/B, sophomore and Varsity. We all share the same locker room. He talked about some officials who because of their varsity status look down on the underclass officials. I can remember that somewhat when I first started but have to say in the past few years there seems to be more of a brotherhood no matter what level you officiate. I'm in the Chicago area, suburbs. I've always found the deeper I do games in the city, the more friendlier the officials are on all levels for some reason.

Wondering how your areas are regarding rank and attitude.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

I'm of course still new to the officiating scene, but I'm in the same area as you, fullor, and I've always been greeted nicely by the varsity officials if their game is after mine
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

People are people. Some nice. SOme idiots. I know long time Varsity/college Officials in both my associations that bend over backwards for you. Give you advice and even put in good words for lower level officials with assignors when warranted.

I also know younger up and coming officials who think they have all the answers. Who are rising up the ranks and think that makes them better than their peers.

I know younger / newer officials who seem to have compromising pictures of the assignors.

I just try to be the best person I can be, let my character show through my work, and have fun in this avocation.

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

I'm finding in the last few years that a number (not all, but many) of newer and/or younger officials aren't interested in hearing any comments from me and others with significant experience. A lot of us have taken the attitude now that we will speak up when asked, but aren't going to offer our viewpoint only to get an attitude back. I went to a jr. high game a few years ago to watch and critique the officials -- thinking I was there to help them out. One guy was lukewarm to my suggestions and the other one wasn't interested at all. Neither one is still around and you can be sure the assignor was made aware of everything that happened. Not that I'm the guru of critiquers around here, but the assignor knows who should be blown off and who shouldn't. The former is a very small list.

My point is not to defend people that act like they are big time or are jerks, but some have some battle wounds.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 02:19pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I’ll agree, with some caveats.

I’m starting my fourth yr of HS ball (sixth yr overall) and have worked my way up to a partial V schedule for which I am happy and grateful to those that have helped me get where I am. That being said….

When I first arrived in my Association I felt very much the outsider (which is natural). Some V Officials were nice, cordial, friendly, while others, not so much. Of course, this could be said about many work, social or clique organizations where seniority, amongst other factors, has a place (right or wrong).

I started at the bottom – understandably. I worked with good and not so good officials (IMO). There were officials at this level who cared and others who didn’t’. At meetings and in the locker room, I was “the new guy.” Was I an up and comer? Was I there to eventually steal their games? Was I a threat? Who knows? Some refs treated me well, others not so much. Some senior officials know how to teach, coach, mentor – others don’t. Some are Neanderthals, some are aloof, some can’t talk to you without being condescending or overly critical. Others are great, helpful, and show what I call “tough love” and take their role as a Senior Official seriously.

Bottom line – on my way to where I am now, (middle of the pack in my Association by my estimates) I have met the good and the bad. Refs who were standoffish a few years ago have really given me some great assistance. This summer/fall I even reffed with several of my trainers and the most senior of our officials. I used to be intimidated now it’s awesome and I look forward to the experience! As we have stated before, learn from everyone and take bits and pieces to mold yourself.

I have worked hard and still have a ways to go yet (IMO). I find if you take the time to try hard, others will notice. I seek games and work whenever called, I accept criticism, I go into the locker room to learn from V officials – and now they ask me, “So, what did you see?”

I too believe I saw a pecking order more several yrs ago than I do now. Maybe I see it from a different perspective. Maybe I’m one of “them” now. I don't think so, but I’ll let others judge me.

When I was in the military I saw some of what I thought were “poor leaders and managers,” I learned from everyone of them, right or wrong. Treat others how you want to be treated. Never treat people poorly on your way up……as you never know when you’ll be on your way down.

I heard a quote after the first Gulf War attributed to GEN Colin Powell (although I researched it and can’t find it) who said, “Even Saddam Hussein has value. He can always be used as a bad example.”

Regardless how you may have been treated in school, work, or in life , be the bigger person. Be one of the good guys/gals!

My $.02. Rant off.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I’ll agree, with some caveats.

I’m starting my fourth yr of HS ball (sixth yr overall) and have worked my way up to a partial V schedule for which I am happy and grateful to those that have helped me get where I am. That being said….

When I first arrived in my Association I felt very much the outsider (which is natural). Some V Officials were nice, cordial, friendly, while others, not so much. Of course, this could be said about many work, social or clique organizations where seniority, amongst other factors, has a place (right or wrong).

I started at the bottom – understandably. I worked with good and not so good officials (IMO). There were officials at this level who cared and others who didn’t’. At meetings and in the locker room, I was “the new guy.” Was I an up and comer? Was I there to eventually steal their games? Was I a threat? Who knows? Some refs treated me well, others not so much. Some senior officials know how to teach, coach, mentor – others don’t. Some are Neanderthals, some are aloof, some can’t talk to you without being condescending or overly critical. Others are great, helpful, and show what I call “tough love” and take their role as a Senior Official seriously.

Bottom line – on my way to where I am now, (middle of the pack in my Association by my estimates) I have met the good and the bad. Refs who were standoffish a few years ago have really given me some great assistance. This summer/fall I even reffed with several of my trainers and the most senior of our officials. I used to be intimidated now it’s awesome and I look forward to the experience! As we have stated before, learn from everyone and take bits and pieces to mold yourself.

I have worked hard and still have a ways to go yet (IMO). I find if you take the time to try hard, others will notice. I seek games and work whenever called, I accept criticism, I go into the locker room to learn from V officials – and now they ask me, “So, what did you see?”

I too believe I saw a pecking order more several yrs ago than I do now. Maybe I see it from a different perspective. Maybe I’m one of “them” now. I don't think so, but I’ll let others judge me.

When I was in the military I saw some of what I thought were “poor leaders and managers,” I learned from everyone of them, right or wrong. Treat others how you want to be treated. Never treat people poorly on your way up……as you never know when you’ll be on your way down.

I heard a quote after the first Gulf War attributed to GEN Colin Powell (although I researched it and can’t find it) who said, “Even Saddam Hussein has value. He can always be used as a bad example.”

Regardless how you may have been treated in school, work, or in life , be the bigger person. Be one of the good guys/gals!

My $.02. Rant off.

Well said...........
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 02:31pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Attitudes will be found on all levels. I have had lots of help along the way. Lots of good advice and some poor advice. Now as the shoe is on the other foot so to speak, if newer officials ask for advice, I try to help with one suggestion.
I had one game last year where the R was a total jerk and spent the entire halftime tearing me down. And then during a break in the 2nd half said "Isn't this a great game?" I spoke to another official later that day and found that my opinion of the guy was not unusual. Had I stayed I would have requested to not ever work with the guy again.
The best advice is to ask for advice and don't be a Yabut. And to stay and observe how the advisor practices what he preaches [not done by the above R btw]. Ask to be a part of the halftime discussion as an observer. My standard comment as a JV official was "I think you are getting what you need to get".
There is some snobbery even among crews....college guys using college mechanics, etc, but for the most part, I have found that the common bond of officiating makes for good friendships. And guys that 'look down' on lower level officials usually look down on other crew members. Although, recognition of officials who are in it for the money or who would not listen to advice if they got paid for it will usually result in those people being ignored.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 03:02pm
Huck Finn

I have an opinion on this subject.

I think the association/conference is the determining factor in how much of a pecking order exists. Being retired military - don't get it twisted, I'm not old - I have had to move three times in the last 7 years. The first stop, DC, the assigners saw me work and I got games. People were pissed off because I got high visibility games. Next stop Mississippi. The assigner saw me work and I got games. Again, people were pissed because of the games I got. Back "home" to Las Vegas. Totally different situation and I have to work hard to keep my mouth shut. I can't complain totally because I still get some high visibility games, but there are other things going on.

Now, I'm a varsity official who has had some success on the college level and I absolutely hate the politics that go on in basketball officiating. I hate it when I hear someone talk down to someone else - I hated it in the military too. If I'm secure in where I'm at I find no reason to talk to people like that.

If the OP belongs to Cardinal (IAABO), they have a reputation for holding people back because they are "new" to their association. Thank goodness I lived in Maryland instead of Northern VA.

I could go on and on about this subject. Unfortunately, basketball officiating is far too political.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 03:24pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I have an opinion on this subject.

I think the association/conference is the determining factor in how much of a pecking order exists. Being retired military - don't get it twisted, I'm not old - I have had to move three times in the last 7 years. The first stop, DC, the assigners saw me work and I got games. People were pissed off because I got high visibility games. Next stop Mississippi. The assigner saw me work and I got games. Again, people were pissed because of the games I got. Back "home" to Las Vegas. Totally different situation and I have to work hard to keep my mouth shut. I can't complain totally because I still get some high visibility games, but there are other things going on.

Now, I'm a varsity official who has had some success on the college level and I absolutely hate the politics that go on in basketball officiating. I hate it when I hear someone talk down to someone else - I hated it in the military too. If I'm secure in where I'm at I find no reason to talk to people like that.

If the OP belongs to Cardinal (IAABO), they have a reputation for holding people back because they are "new" to their association. Thank goodness I lived in Maryland instead of Northern VA.

I could go on and on about this subject. Unfortunately, basketball officiating is far too political.
Having just moved I can attest to how different associations have treated me. Next season, I will work where I have been treated well. I have worked for 3 assns this season. 3 to make 2 applies and I am going with the made FTs in 2010-11.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I have worked in several states...IN, KY, CT, IL, MO, KS

For the biggest share of us, this is an avocation. We are not in it for the money and certainly put a great deal of time into being better.

You will find that if you seek to improve there will be someone to help you. You will get some good advice and some bad.
You will get some advice that you can adapt and apply quickly and some that is hard to do.

Listen with two ears and speak softly. Let your reputation be earned by what is done and court and how you handle yourself off the court.

I found the suburban Chicago area to be a difficult area. Many, many, many assignors to work with. Too many crews that work together every night. Cliques that thought they were better, so much so that they wore a different color jacket from everyone else to show themselves off.

Find people that you like to be with and try to be a great mentor for those that seek your help.

Peace.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to StripesOhio
I just got back into officiating from a 3 year absence (2nd year HS, 3 years college intramurals). I almost beg V officials (or if partner is Class1) to give me advice. It almost upsets me if somebody doesn't say anything. But I understand some officials just don't feel comfortable blurting out critiques.

I usually ask the V crew if I notice they step out to watch the JV game. I take any and all notes possible. From the smallest to the biggest problems.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75 View Post
I just try to be the best person I can be, let my character show through my work, and have fun in this avocation.
If you can't have fun doing something, then why do it?
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 04:48pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripesOhio View Post
I just got back into officiating from a 3 year absence (2nd year HS, 3 years college intramurals). I almost beg V officials (or if partner is Class1) to give me advice. It almost upsets me if somebody doesn't say anything. But I understand some officials just don't feel comfortable blurting out critiques.

I usually ask the V crew if I notice they step out to watch the JV game. I take any and all notes possible. From the smallest to the biggest problems.
Always ask, but never badger. I don't offer advice if not asked. And I don't ask unless I truly want to get advice. Had one official 'offer' 'advice' this season. It was not well received. And my partner, who also does mostly V games, indicated that the official 'offering' the 'advice' had an extremely inflated opinion of herself and that her reputation is well known in that association.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post
I have worked in several states...IN, KY, CT, IL, MO, KS

For the biggest share of us, this is an avocation. We are not in it for the money and certainly put a great deal of time into being better.

You will find that if you seek to improve there will be someone to help you. You will get some good advice and some bad.
You will get some advice that you can adapt and apply quickly and some that is hard to do.

Listen with two ears and speak softly. Let your reputation be earned by what is done and court and how you handle yourself off the court.

I found the suburban Chicago area to be a difficult area. Many, many, many assignors to work with. Too many crews that work together every night. Cliques that thought they were better, so much so that they wore a different color jacket from everyone else to show themselves off.

Find people that you like to be with and try to be a great mentor for those that seek your help.

Peace.
Chicago area is extremely competitive for officials. The state has over 6,000 officials with over 4,000 being in a 40 mile radius of Chicago as the rumor goes. I think the whole state of Nevada as posted here has just over 300 officials(about the size of one of our suburban associations)

It is a political animal and you'd better learn to play the game if you want to advance.

Regarding assignors, I'd rather have 7-8, which I do, and get a small schedule from each. That way I don't feel as dependent on any of them.

I also enjoy working different conferences. makes it more interesting. I had the same Varsity team 5 times last year and it seemed like I had a cot in the Ad's office.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 05:09pm
In Time Out

Agree with a lot of things said especially about having fun. Most of the V's refs are fine but a few are just punks who were needed and came from other associations simply because of a lack of numbers. It kind of frustrated me when I learned how low our association was regarded and part of the problem is the same refs get recycled even those who have no business doing tough games but there is a big buddy/loyalty system and quality goes down unfortunately. Or the guys they do move up look the part but when it comes to calling the games they just aren't that good. Not sure how the assigners do it but perhaps some lottery system or something random to take away the buddy system. A lot of those guys who are assigning the varsity seem to know each other and will defend refs no matter what even though there are refs because of their age have clearly dropped but they keep getting varsity games. I've been to camps and gotten to do about 15 Varsity games over the past few years but after a while you kind of see where things are and that the association or assigners aren't going to help so you got to be proactive and do it yourself.
I would also advice if it is practical to join more than one association. I know some who got assigned varsity games simply because they were outside even though they might not have been ready. Done fine so far I think.
The travel might be weak but even doing a few games outside would help.
It was great in my first couple of years working with good varsity officials and getting feedback from them. Or guys that were watching and came after the games. Too bad a lot of the new ones refuse to work lower levels and don't bother with anything but their games. Very little feedback now.
Luckily I still have fun games and some quality partners. Working close games with a big crowd is a blast.

Last edited by mutantducky; Thu Dec 31, 2009 at 06:40pm.