The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS Rules concerning fans

This may or may not be able to be answered:

Earlier today at the Girls' Championship of the 2009 T-Mobile Invitational national high school basketball tournament between Hoover (Alabama) & St. Mary's (California), there were 5-6 young men rooting for Hoover in the stands with shirts off & bodies painted.

Is this allowed via NFHS Rules/Regulations, or is this something more suited to the state associations?
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 08:49pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Yep, just did a quick glance of my Case Book, Rules Book, and Official's Manual - nope, not in there specifically. So, as an official, I'm leaving it alone.

Rule 2, Section 8.1 of Rules Book leaves it to game management as long as it doesn't interfere with the game.

Last edited by grunewar; Wed Dec 30, 2009 at 08:56pm.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post

Earlier today at the Girls' Championship of the 2009 T-Mobile Invitational national high school basketball tournament between Hoover (Alabama) & St. Mary's (California), there were 5-6 young men rooting for Hoover in the stands with shirts off & bodies painted.

Is this allowed via NFHS Rules/Regulations, or is this something more suited to the state associations?
This is handled by the school administrations and/or league/state regulations.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
This is handled by the school administrations and/or league/state regulations.
I was figuring this was something up to the state associations.

I know for WIAA (Washington Interscholastic Activities Association), the rule/regulation is same manner of dress as in school.

It was just surprising to see that they were allowed to be there, shirtless with body paint.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was figuring this was something up to the state associations.

I know for WIAA (Washington Interscholastic Activities Association), the rule/regulation is same manner of dress as in school.

It was just surprising to see that they were allowed to be there, shirtless with body paint.
Yep, you will quickly learn that not everything across the county is as it is in your local area.

Basic concept of Federalism.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 09:45pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Plumber alert!
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

This is one of the more ridiculous posts in recent memory. This guy needs another hobby...
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 11:17am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Along with agreeing with everyone else that this just isn't something we care about, or want to care about; I want to add that we try to avoid naming schools in here for the most part. I notice you've made it a practice to name the schools you're talking about. Those are specifics that just aren't necessary for any question you're bringing up, and giving them can only lead to trouble.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 11:20am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Along with agreeing with everyone else that this just isn't something we care about, or want to care about; I want to add that we try to avoid naming schools in here for the most part. I notice you've made it a practice to name the schools you're talking about. Those are specifics that just aren't necessary for any question you're bringing up, and giving them can only lead to trouble.
How can you be like Monk if you don't get specific?
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 05:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Maybe It Should Be Called The No Swimsuit Issue ...

Quote:
It's allowed in the upcoming Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. I can't wait. I even bought a new mailbox, and I got a new reading light, not that I'm going to be doing a lot of reading.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 07:12am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
It just shows to go ya......

Last night, 4th Qtr, GV game. V up by about 10 w/ a minute to go. Crowd not happy. Foul, H4. We're shooting one-and-one.

V 24 shooting, I'm administering as L. As ball is about to go up - REALLY LOUD "raspberry" (thhhhhhpppppt) goes up from one person in the H crowd. Ball clanks off the iron. TWEEEET! T blows it dead and says we're shooting again.

He proceeds to talk to H Coach who "understands," but doesn't accept the reasoning. Crowd none too happy x2 (duh).

Well, V24 clanged the next one too.

We discussed it after the game. I would have gotten game management to deal with the jerk. My other P (excellent, State Championship Official) said she had never done it before either, but had no issue with it - as apparently the other official had "warned the crowd before."

I had a super game, but I no likey this particular play!
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 07:35am
In Memoriam

The T had no rules backing at all to call disconcertion on the crowd.

Wrong call....and hopefully somebody will make sure that he knows that.