The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Violations/Fouls that you ignore (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56166-violations-fouls-you-ignore.html)

rwest Thu Dec 31, 2009 01:21am

How About....

7th Girls game. Home team up 30 points. Are you going to call every travel you see?

Rock Chalk Thu Dec 31, 2009 01:28am

A1 has inside position on B1..both go up for a rebound above A1's head. Both grab it come to the ground and A1 lowers the ball to his chest. B1 still has the ball but now it's contact. If B1 lets go and A1 goes on with the play with no issues, it's a play on...i don't explain it well, but I'm going to imagine that we have all had this play. The result looks like a foul on B1 but 9/10 times it's a play on in my book.

just another ref Thu Dec 31, 2009 01:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock Chalk (Post 647223)
A1 has inside position on B1..both go up for a rebound above A1's head. Both grab it come to the ground and A1 lowers the ball to his chest. B1 still has the ball but now it's contact. If B1 lets go and A1 goes on with the play with no issues, it's a play on...i don't explain it well, but I'm going to imagine that we have all had this play. The result looks like a foul on B1 but 9/10 times it's a play on in my book.

If B1 lets go, play on. If B1 doesn't let go, it could be a foul, but it sounds more like a held ball.

Nevadaref Thu Dec 31, 2009 01:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 647226)
If B1 lets go, play on. If B1 doesn't let go, it could be a foul, but it sounds more like a held ball.

I agree. That's the way that I call such.

Back In The Saddle Thu Dec 31, 2009 01:48am

Me too.

Adam Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:48am

+1

stosh Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:06pm

I ignore an opponent of the free throw shooter stepping into the lane early if the basket is made :D

I also ignore calling a "kicked ball" if it imediately goes out of bounds :D

Adam Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stosh (Post 647352)
I also ignore calling a "kicked ball" if it imediately goes out of bounds :D

I can think of two situations where you shouldn't do this. :)

Welpe Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 647359)

I can think of one, during an AP throw-in. What would be the other?

stosh Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:20pm

Quote:

1.) If there is a shot clock
2.) If the ball goes out of bounds at a spot that gives the "kicker's" team an advantage.

wanja Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:38pm

Reality

The reality is that level of play and situation do play a role in ignoring violations. At the least skilled level of play with very young players it would be a disservice to the game and development of the players to call every violation. Consistency is important here but not a golden rule. For example, Team A is blowing out Team B and A1 who is far above the skill level of the other players travels on the way to a score. Tweet. Conversely, Team A is blowing out Team B and B1 who has not scored all season, touches the line on a free throw that goes in. No tweet.

At a higher level of play, I'm likely to ignore a violation in this situation. Team A is blowing out team B and the situation with players and fans is volatile. With the clock stopped and 1 second remaining, B1 slightly touches inbounds before releasing a throw in. No tweet.

Upward ref Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 647129)
Called it a few years ago in a Christmas tournament game. My partner, and the two officials for the game following mine, advised me never to call it again, so I never will.

My smart alecky side always makes me ask " what other rules should I ignore ,and why ? "

Upward ref Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:41pm

Quote:

Do "kicked ball" calls always require determining if it was intentional or not ?

Jurassic Referee Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stosh (Post 647352)
1) I ignore an opponent of the free throw shooter stepping into the lane early if the basket is made.

2) I also ignore calling a "kicked ball" if it imediately goes out of bounds.

1) That's not ignoring a violation because there was NO violation. What you're ignoring is the usage of the proper mechanic i.e. using the signal for a delayed lane violation followed by dropping the signal to show that there was no violation applicable when the FT was made. Not a good idea imo btw.

2) Why? :confused:

Jurassic Referee Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Upward ref (Post 647373)
Do "kicked ball" calls always require determining if it was intentional or not ?

It is not a "kicked ball" violation if the kick isn't intentional.