The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Can't believe it, but I heard it (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56165-cant-believe-but-i-heard.html)

harmbu Wed Dec 30, 2009 01:00pm

Can't believe it, but I heard it

I just heard an official say, "He touched the backboard. That's basket interference. The shot is good." Does this make anybody else cringe? No it is between quarters and the game is being held up while the visiting team's scorekeeper is on the floor addressing something with the officials.

grunewar Wed Dec 30, 2009 01:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by harmbu (Post 646931)
I just heard an official say, "He touched the backboard. That's basket interference. The shot is good." Does this make anybody else cringe? No it is between quarters and the game is being held up while the visiting team's scorekeeper is on the floor addressing something with the officials.

CHSEAGLE is that you? :p

chseagle Wed Dec 30, 2009 02:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 646934)
CHSEAGLE is that you? :p

I haven't done scorebook in 10 years. I never question the officials on items dealing with play on the court. I may make comments to the other table personnel about my observations, but I don't question the officials about their calls directly.

I leave the direct questioning of the officials to the coaches.

Raymond Wed Dec 30, 2009 02:55pm

Quote:

Could you please elaborate?

Jurassic Referee Wed Dec 30, 2009 03:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 646998)
I may make comments to the other table personnel about my observations, but I don't question the officials about their calls directly.

I leave the direct questioning of the officials to the coaches.

Iow you'll crap on the officials but you don't have the 'nads to do so to their face.

Got it.

chseagle Wed Dec 30, 2009 03:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 647012)
Iow you'll crap on the officials but you don't have the 'nads to do so to their face.

Got it.

I choose my words carefully when I do make comments. I may say something like "should of been a travel, but probably couldn't see it". Most of the time, it's about missed calls that couldn't be seen due to being out of position or too much traffic in the way to make the call.

I realize that officials are humans & can't call everything.

If I get the opportunity to ask about the call, after the fact, I'll ask about it.

Raymond Wed Dec 30, 2009 03:10pm

Quote:

...I may make comments to the other table personnel about my observations, but I don't question the officials about their calls directly.

Definitely a practice you need to stop. And you should be discouraging other table personnel from doing it also.

just another ref Wed Dec 30, 2009 03:13pm

Quote:

I....... I don't question the officials about their calls directly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 647018)

If I get the opportunity to ask about the call, after the fact, I'll ask about it.

So who is it that you ask?

zm1283 Wed Dec 30, 2009 03:18pm

Quote:

Was this in a college game on TV? A high school game you were watching?

TimTaylor Wed Dec 30, 2009 03:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 647018)
I choose my words carefully when I do make comments. I may say something like "should of been a travel, but probably couldn't see it". Most of the time, it's about missed calls that couldn't be seen due to being out of position or too much traffic in the way to make the call.

You know, it never fails to amaze me how someone 50-60 or more feet from a play with a relatively crummy angle of view, and minimal knowledge and even less understanding of the rules, thinks they have a better look and better judgment than a trained official who's right on top of it. If the table were the best place to call the game from they'd put the officials there instead of having them on the court.

For table personnel to make comments on a call or lack thereof from their own myopic viewpoint is unprofessional.

Juulie Downs Wed Dec 30, 2009 04:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimTaylor (Post 647042)
You know, it never fails to amaze me how someone 50-60 or more feet from a play with a relatively crummy angle of view, and minimal knowledge and even less understanding of the rules, thinks they have a better look and better judgment than a trained official who's right on top of it. If the table were the best place to call the game from they'd put the officials there instead of having them on the court.

For table personnel to make comments on a call or lack thereof from their own myopic viewpoint is unprofessional.

Sheez, Tim, don't hold back. Why not tell us how you really feel?

TimTaylor Wed Dec 30, 2009 04:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juulie Downs (Post 647063)
Sheez, Tim, don't hold back. Why not tell us how you really feel?

Because I might accidentally offend someone?:rolleyes:

I'm all for subtlety when it's effective, but sometimes you just have to drag out the old cluex4......or maybe I'm just cranky because I didn't get my post game nap yesterday, since it took 3 hours to get home from my game at Wilsonville HS. :D:D:D

chseagle Wed Dec 30, 2009 06:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 647021)
So who is it that you ask?

The officials, from that game, if I have a question about something I saw. I'll ask them about the play using case book-like scenarios.

When making the comments I mention also that the officials have final say.

In the gym where I'm normally doing scoreboard operations/timer, I'm not at court-level, but am above it. So there's a bit of an elevated view of plays.

Like I said earlier, I realize officials are human & calls can be missed.

There's a continual mention on here of having "definite knowledge", if an official can't see the play clearly due to varying reasons, then how can "definite knowledge" be used on a play if it cannot be seen.

chseagle Wed Dec 30, 2009 06:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimTaylor (Post 647042)

Can't the same thing be said of coaches or regular spectators?

muxbule Wed Dec 30, 2009 06:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 647083)
Can't the same thing be said of coaches or regular spectators?

Here is the difference.....table personnel are part of the crew. All have the same crappy angle, but as Tim said, to do it as part of the table personnel is unprofessional.