The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Can't believe it, but I heard it

I just heard an official say, "He touched the backboard. That's basket interference. The shot is good." Does this make anybody else cringe? No it is between quarters and the game is being held up while the visiting team's scorekeeper is on the floor addressing something with the officials.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 01:04pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmbu View Post
I just heard an official say, "He touched the backboard. That's basket interference. The shot is good." Does this make anybody else cringe? No it is between quarters and the game is being held up while the visiting team's scorekeeper is on the floor addressing something with the officials.
CHSEAGLE is that you?
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
CHSEAGLE is that you?
I haven't done scorebook in 10 years. I never question the officials on items dealing with play on the court. I may make comments to the other table personnel about my observations, but I don't question the officials about their calls directly.

I leave the direct questioning of the officials to the coaches.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 02:55pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Could you please elaborate?
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 03:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
I may make comments to the other table personnel about my observations, but I don't question the officials about their calls directly.

I leave the direct questioning of the officials to the coaches.
Iow you'll crap on the officials but you don't have the 'nads to do so to their face.

Got it.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Iow you'll crap on the officials but you don't have the 'nads to do so to their face.

Got it.
I choose my words carefully when I do make comments. I may say something like "should of been a travel, but probably couldn't see it". Most of the time, it's about missed calls that couldn't be seen due to being out of position or too much traffic in the way to make the call.

I realize that officials are humans & can't call everything.

If I get the opportunity to ask about the call, after the fact, I'll ask about it.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 03:10pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
...I may make comments to the other table personnel about my observations, but I don't question the officials about their calls directly.
Definitely a practice you need to stop. And you should be discouraging other table personnel from doing it also.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 03:13pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
I....... I don't question the officials about their calls directly.
Quote:

If I get the opportunity to ask about the call, after the fact, I'll ask about it.

So who is it that you ask?

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Was this in a college game on TV? A high school game you were watching?
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I choose my words carefully when I do make comments. I may say something like "should of been a travel, but probably couldn't see it". Most of the time, it's about missed calls that couldn't be seen due to being out of position or too much traffic in the way to make the call.
You know, it never fails to amaze me how someone 50-60 or more feet from a play with a relatively crummy angle of view, and minimal knowledge and even less understanding of the rules, thinks they have a better look and better judgment than a trained official who's right on top of it. If the table were the best place to call the game from they'd put the officials there instead of having them on the court.

For table personnel to make comments on a call or lack thereof from their own myopic viewpoint is unprofessional.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
You know, it never fails to amaze me how someone 50-60 or more feet from a play with a relatively crummy angle of view, and minimal knowledge and even less understanding of the rules, thinks they have a better look and better judgment than a trained official who's right on top of it. If the table were the best place to call the game from they'd put the officials there instead of having them on the court.

For table personnel to make comments on a call or lack thereof from their own myopic viewpoint is unprofessional.
Sheez, Tim, don't hold back. Why not tell us how you really feel?
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
Sheez, Tim, don't hold back. Why not tell us how you really feel?
Because I might accidentally offend someone?

I'm all for subtlety when it's effective, but sometimes you just have to drag out the old cluex4......or maybe I'm just cranky because I didn't get my post game nap yesterday, since it took 3 hours to get home from my game at Wilsonville HS.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
So who is it that you ask?
The officials, from that game, if I have a question about something I saw. I'll ask them about the play using case book-like scenarios.

When making the comments I mention also that the officials have final say.

In the gym where I'm normally doing scoreboard operations/timer, I'm not at court-level, but am above it. So there's a bit of an elevated view of plays.

Like I said earlier, I realize officials are human & calls can be missed.

There's a continual mention on here of having "definite knowledge", if an official can't see the play clearly due to varying reasons, then how can "definite knowledge" be used on a play if it cannot be seen.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post

Can't the same thing be said of coaches or regular spectators?
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Can't the same thing be said of coaches or regular spectators?
Here is the difference.....table personnel are part of the crew. All have the same crappy angle, but as Tim said, to do it as part of the table personnel is unprofessional.