The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Can't believe it, but I heard it (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56165-cant-believe-but-i-heard.html)

just another ref Wed Dec 30, 2009 09:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 647135)

Yes, the best position to call a foul/violation is from the floor right in front of the play.

Like most absolute statements, this is not always true.

chseagle Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 647174)
Like most absolute statements, this is not always true.

LMAO Well I could of said right in the middle of the play :rolleyes:

Basically I was meaning, by being sarcastic, on the floor.

Nevadaref Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:27pm

How about "from a location which provides a clear view"?

chseagle Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 647180)
How about "from a location which provides a clear view"?

A clearer definition: see above LMAO :D:eek:;)

Adam Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOracle (Post 647146)
Before you beat this poor boy to death, it appears to me that he has a pretty good grasp of the rules and is trying to learn. It never fails to amaze me that the officials on this forum never seem to admit that a lot of mistakes in judgment are made in every single game, and that the lower the level of game, the chances are that there are tons of blatant mistakes made. Evaluators, albeit they are trained, sit in the stands and make judgments on officials' performance. Those who have been critiqued for 30 minutes after a game by an evaluator and on tapes/videos by the supervisor understand that. Anyone can see and understand a bad call and it happens, and when you make the correct, but unpopular call, you should have a high enough self-esteem and thick enough skin to understand that if you are a good official, that does not happen often, and when it does, you should have a good laugh about it.

Are you serious? The correct but unpopular call happens as often as once or twice a game. Backcourt calls typically fit into this, as do technical fouls, allowing a player to be in the lane for rebound after rebound, etc.

And can you tell me where in this thread someone denied mistakes are made by officials? No where.

I simply said for chseagle to try assuming the official saw something different, and if he has a question and the officials are open to him asking, to ask away.

Back In The Saddle Thu Dec 31, 2009 02:28am

Why is it that when TheOracle speaks, it so often sounds like a very different bodily noise? Smells like it too.

Chess Ref Thu Dec 31, 2009 08:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 647115)
And if I ever hear anyone at the table say that, they're done for the game. Keep your comments to yourself. Use the voices in your head if you like, but not your out loud voice.

About 2 weeks ago home scorer,the official book, couldn't keep his yapper shut.;) I then asked the quiet as a mouse visitors scorer if I could see her book. The visitors book looked oh so perfect. She had very nice handwriting , a pleasant personality and most importantly ...she was quiet.:)

The home team HC wasn't happy about the new official book but he survived.:rolleyes:

Raymond Thu Dec 31, 2009 09:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOracle (Post 647156)
The evaluations I refer to are those where every whistle is given a plus, zero, or minus, and non-calls that should have had whistles are noted. Combined with films, that is how you improve judgment. No credibility? You won;t be getting called to return next year. Like I said, you have to have a thick skin and true confidence.

Those "plus, zero, or minus" gradings are done by reviewing game tape/film/dvd, not on the sidelines by an evaluator.

KJUmp Thu Dec 31, 2009 09:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 647091)
True about the angle.

When I do say anything, it's low key where only those at the table hear it, no one else. However, again, this is something I am working on NOT DOING.

Perhaps if the Table crew had an association like the officials, there'd be more professionalism.

Some of the times, I'm not saying anything but someone else does :(

Professionalism starts with the individual. You don't need an association or a patch on your shirt to act professional. Just do it! If the others around you at the table choose not to, so be it. Let the AD handle that.
Make yourself a New Year's resolution...I'm am going to conduct myself in a professional manner at the table at all times. From the time I arrive at the gym until the time that I leave. I'm going to work to become the most professional timer that I can be.
Keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut. When your at the table don't act/think like a fan (it's unprofessional)...act like a timer with a responsible and importantt job to do. When your at the table don't try to be a ref, (it's unprofessional) act like a timer with a responsible and important job to do. We all need/appreciate good timers..especially ones that act in both word and deed in professional manner.....before the game, during the game, during the intermissions, and after the game.

TheOracle Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 647195)
Are you serious? The correct but unpopular call happens as often as once or twice a game. Backcourt calls typically fit into this, as do technical fouls, allowing a player to be in the lane for rebound after rebound, etc.

And can you tell me where in this thread someone denied mistakes are made by officials? No where.

I simply said for chseagle to try assuming the official saw something different, and if he has a question and the officials are open to him asking, to ask away.

I agree with everything you have said. Many others imply that people in the stands are not qualified or cannot see well enough to know when a mistake is made. It's sanctimonious, and unhelpful to those officials to think in that closed a fashion. As to your examples, I understand--those are not contentious issues in the games I officiate or assign.

I think what chseagle is doing is great.

Adam Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:03am

So you think it's okay for a table person to tell the other people at the table the refs just screwed up? You think it's ok for an official sitting in the stands evaluating the officials on the floor to tell the fans sitting around him that the officials just screwed up?

How many times do the fans get on you for a call you got right? Often, in my experience. That means they think I made a mistake either by rule or by judgment. I can live with that from the fans, but I'm not going to accept if from the table crew. You may as well have your partner telling the table crew (yeah, my partner missed a travel but he was straight lined.) This has nothing to do with being thin skinned, it's about crew integrity.

The questions has been asked already, but why would the table crew assume one of their own knows better than the official on the court?

If a coach asks me why I missed something, and I may have, I'll tell him why. The few times I've had to do this, it works. But I don't want my partners or the table crew either calling out mistakes or making excuses for me.

Jurassic Referee Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOracle (Post 647315)
I think what chseagle is doing is great.

I'm not surprised.

tomegun Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:17am

Is it me or has Chseagle's story changed/developed during this thread? He said something, said something low, is trying to stop, has stopped, says something to the other table crew. Whatever the case may be, if this guy is so good, why not get on the floor instead of sitting at the table? The game needs good officials...if you are as good as your comments indicate. I highly doubt it and would suggest more listening and less talking.

TheOracle Thu Dec 31, 2009 01:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 647325)
So you think it's okay for a table person to tell the other people at the table the refs just screwed up? You think it's ok for an official sitting in the stands evaluating the officials on the floor to tell the fans sitting around him that the officials just screwed up?

How many times do the fans get on you for a call you got right? Often, in my experience. That means they think I made a mistake either by rule or by judgment. I can live with that from the fans, but I'm not going to accept if from the table crew. You may as well have your partner telling the table crew (yeah, my partner missed a travel but he was straight lined.) This has nothing to do with being thin skinned, it's about crew integrity.

The questions has been asked already, but why would the table crew assume one of their own knows better than the official on the court?

If a coach asks me why I missed something, and I may have, I'll tell him why. The few times I've had to do this, it works. But I don't want my partners or the table crew either calling out mistakes or making excuses for me.

Again, we are in agreement. If a table crew is visibly reacting negatively, it gets addressed. One time I removed the scoreboard operator from he table area for shaking his head about calls after I asked him to stop doing it. I have probably seen that 2-3 times in 30 years. Paid evaulators in stands are doing, a job, and nobody around them will know what they are doing or what their opinions are. They are far to busy observing and filling out sheets. Making general comments? No need to have rabbit ears about anything.

chseagle Thu Dec 31, 2009 01:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 647336)
Is it me or has Chseagle's story changed/developed during this thread? He said something, said something low, is trying to stop, has stopped, says something to the other table crew. Whatever the case may be, if this guy is so good, why not get on the floor instead of sitting at the table? The game needs good officials...if you are as good as your comments indicate. I highly doubt it and would suggest more listening and less talking.

I have stated in a previous post, that due to health conditions, I am unable to be an official. I would love to be an official, but cause of my health, i cannot.