Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
This is what we're talking about.
Exactly. The table crew needs to stick to their responsibilities under 2-11 and 2-12 and let the game officials deal with what they are responsible for. I'm far more impressed with someone that shows up on time and does their job conscientiously and consistently, as opposed to those who for some reason (ego?; self-importance?) try to impress people with how much they think they know, especially when the reality is they really don't know as much as they think they do and understand far less. Don't get me wrong, I encourage and applaud anyone that wants to become a student of the game to expand their knowledge and understanding of basketball - just use it appropriately.

Sometimes I think people forget that the game isn't about the coaches, the officials, the table crew or the fans - it's about the players.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 06:56am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtaylor View Post
sometimes i think people forget that the game isn't about the coaches, the officials, the table crew or the fans - it's about the players.
+1
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
It's a volunteer job 99% of the time, so you get what you get.
Really? Here, it's a paid position (usually, teachers eraning overtime). I've heard that they earn more than the officials on the game.

At the local JuCos, they are paid, but the pay is small.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 10:06am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
Exactly. The table crew needs to stick to their responsibilities under 2-11 and 2-12 and let the game officials deal with what they are responsible for. I'm far more impressed with someone that shows up on time and does their job conscientiously and consistently, as opposed to those who for some reason (ego?; self-importance?) try to impress people with how much they think they know, especially when the reality is they really don't know as much as they think they do and understand far less. Don't get me wrong, I encourage and applaud anyone that wants to become a student of the game to expand their knowledge and understanding of basketball - just use it appropriately.

Sometimes I think people forget that the game isn't about the coaches, the officials, the table crew or the fans - it's about the players.

Table crews that try to dictate to the officials drive me crazy -- substitutes after I've beckoned them, for example. I'll catch the occasional sub walking towards the X and I'll whistle them in (during FT administration, normally). During a game earlier this season, I had a timer try to tell the subs *after* I beckoned them in that they had to go down to the X and report.

I then asked the home book if they had any problems getting the subs. Guy said no. I turned to the timer and said, "then when I say they're in, they're in."

Keeping the clock is a hard job. It was for me the 2-3 times I've done it. Do your job, I'll do mine.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 10:07am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Really? Here, it's a paid position (usually, teachers eraning overtime). I've heard that they earn more than the officials on the game.

Same here. All paid. Most make more than us if they work the JV and V games.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 11:18am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

Again, Snaqwells spouts off from his limited experience. I should find out if the table crews get paid here.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Table Crew Waiting List

At one of our local High Schools there is a waiting list of people for the table jobs. It typically requires something extreme, like a death to move up that list...obviously not so with the Jr Highs.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
At one of our local High Schools there is a waiting list of people for the table jobs. It typically requires something extreme, like a death to move up that list...obviously not so with the Jr Highs.
Is that at Eastmount or Wenatchee?

Varsity here gets paid (the scorebaord operator/timer does), for the subvarsity games, it's volunteer (unless a parent is trying to pay off their child's fees).

For 4A Regionals last year, if I remember right, the table crew was getting paid $10 a game (PA Announcer, Shot Clock, Scorer, & Timer).
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

The list is for Wenatchee, I know someone who is on the list but because he only has at best 40 more years on the planet isn't expecting to get the call...I don't know about Eastmont. Now that I think about it the table crew for the JV games at Wenatchee had the same set of experienced people every game. They were good too, letting us know when it was bonus or double bonus, great with the arrow, etc.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
The list is for Wenatchee, I know someone who is on the list but because he only has at best 40 more years on the planet isn't expecting to get the call...I don't know about Eastmont. Now that I think about it the table crew for the JV games at Wenatchee had the same set of experienced people every game. They were good too, letting us know when it was bonus or double bonus, great with the arrow, etc.
Well at least B.J. has several people at her disposal for working games.

Down here, I wish there was a list of people on the waiting list, but that isn't so. From my understanding, there's only 3-4 people that can do shot clock, & only 3-4 people that can do scoreboard/timer. As for scorebook, we have one person that does the Varsity books, but for JV & C-Squad, it's whoever is available to do it even if they have no training.