The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Shot clock in HS Hoops (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56148-shot-clock-hs-hoops.html)

chseagle Tue Dec 29, 2009 06:53pm

Shot clock in HS Hoops

During the halftime of Hoover vs. Hillsboro Girls' game at the 2009 T-Mobile Invitational national high school basketball tournament, Mary Struckhoff (one of the asst. directors of the NFHS) was interviewed. There was a mention of the shot clock. According to Mary, NFHS has been having this discusion for about the past 10 years.

Should the NFHS adopt the shot clock or should this decision stay with the State Associations?

Mark Padgett Tue Dec 29, 2009 07:19pm

The NF can do whatever they want but high schools won't buy them if they can't afford them and there's plenty of high schools who can't.

APG Tue Dec 29, 2009 07:35pm

Would I like a shot clock in the high school game? Yes. Don't think we'll see it for a while though.

representing Tue Dec 29, 2009 07:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 646745)
Would I like a shot clock in the high school game? Yes. Don't think we'll see it for a while though.

Agreed.

I would like a shot clock so players aren't just passing the ball around, wasting time off the clock. It tends to get boring easily.

But, it probably won't happen for a while. And when NFHS does instate the Shot Clock, it won't be required by all schools for another 4 or 5 years after that, knowing that some schools may not be able to afford it right away.

Adam Tue Dec 29, 2009 07:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 646740)
During the halftime of Hoover vs. Hillsboro Girls' game at the 2009 T-Mobile Invitational national high school basketball tournament, Mary Struckhoff (one of the asst. directors of the NFHS) was interviewed. There was a mention of the shot clock. According to Mary, NFHS has been having this discusion for about the past 10 years.

Should the NFHS adopt the shot clock or should this decision stay with the State Associations?

Actually, what she most likely means is they have been considering officially sanctioning the states' ability to adopt the shot clock. It's currently not "allowed," even though several states have adopted its use.

representing Tue Dec 29, 2009 08:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 646750)
Actually, what she most likely means is they have been considering officially sanctioning the states' ability to adopt the shot clock. It's currently not "allowed," even though several states have adopted its use.

What states? I'm moving to any one of those states.

eyezen Tue Dec 29, 2009 08:36pm

I would at least like to see it available as an official state option

chseagle Tue Dec 29, 2009 08:45pm

An example of the shot clock, here in Washington State:

Girls have a 30-sec. Shot Clock (According to articles I've read online, the girls have had a shot clock since 1974)
Boys have a 35-sec. Shot Clock (this is the 1st year for the boys to have the shot clock)

From what I've read online, there's only 7-8 states that have a shot clock for either girls or boys.

representing Tue Dec 29, 2009 08:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 646757)
An example of the shot clock, here in Washington State:

Girls have a 30-sec. Shot Clock (According to articles I've read online, the girls have had a shot clock since 1974)
Boys have a 35-sec. Shot Clock (this is the 1st year for the boys to have the shot clock)

From what I've read online, there's only 7-8 states that have a shot clock for either girls or boys.

30/35 seconds? I would've expected it to be maybe 35/40 or 40/45 because 30/35 is college...

chseagle Tue Dec 29, 2009 09:05pm

When the WIAA Representative Assembly voted on adding the boys' shot clock in April they had the choice of either 30 or 35 seconds. They decided to do the 35-sec. shot clock.

http://wiaa.com/ConDocs/Con133/Shot%...Rules%20_2.pdf

The only thing to me that doesn't make much sense is that the girls don't have the 10-sec. BC count with the 30-sec. shot clock, yet the boys still have the 10-sec. BC count with the 35-sec. shot clock.

Speaking of the 10-sec. BC count, watching the Girls' games at the 2009 T-Mobile Invitational national high school basketball tournament, since neither the girls or boys here use the shot clock, the girls had the 10-sec. BC count, as well as the boys.

referee99 Tue Dec 29, 2009 09:53pm

in California...

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 646757)
Girls have a 30-sec. Shot Clock
Boys have a 35-sec. Shot Clock

... the same.

Girls have no 10 second count in back-court as well.

chseagle Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 646743)
The NF can do whatever they want but high schools won't buy them if they can't afford them and there's plenty of high schools who can't.

In a couple of the online articles, there was mentioning that some schools even have a hard time finding personnel to do table operations.

bas2456 Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee99 (Post 646769)

Girls have no 10 second count in back-court as well.

I have never been able to understand why that is.

BktBallRef Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 646761)
The only thing to me that doesn't make much sense is that the girls don't have the 10-sec. BC count with the 30-sec. shot clock, yet the boys still have the 10-sec. BC count with the 35-sec. shot clock.

That's consistent with the NCAA-W and NCAA-M rules, with regard to the BC count.

Quote:

Speaking of the 10-sec. BC count, watching the Girls' games at the 2009 T-Mobile Invitational national high school basketball tournament, since neither the girls or boys here use the shot clock, the girls had the 10-sec. BC count, as well as the boys.
Consistent with NFHS rules.

Personally, it makes no difference to me whether a shot clock is adopted or not.

And yes, good table people are hard to find.

chseagle Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 646776)
And yes, good table people are hard to find.

Could that be because of not wanting to take the time to learn everything having to do with the table, or is it cause of the fact everyone would rather be a spectator?