The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

I thought initially that the tableside mechanic might be trouble, but it really hasn't been. In my experience so far, coaches are asking questions more and being more civil rather than chirping across the court. I think they feel like they have to be more reasonable if you're standing closer to them. That may just be me though.

I do agree though with whoever said that you shouldn't be standing right on the sideline. During FTs as Trail, I'm about half way between the sideline and the near side of the lane.
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 01:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If I had my preference, I'd do this mechanic. I liked table side in 3 person, too, though. I think it's asinine, however, that they move opposite in 3 person just as they go tableside in 2. Really?

IAABO isn't doing the table side 2, however, so now it all matches again.
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
If I had my preference, I'd do this mechanic. I liked table side in 3 person, too, though. I think it's asinine, however, that they move opposite in 3 person just as they go tableside in 2. Really?
Who is "they?" FED still has the calling official go tableside in 3-person mechanics.
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 02:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Who is "they?" FED still has the calling official go tableside in 3-person mechanics.
Oh, maybe that's another IAABO change, then. Interesting. We're going opposite in 3-person now.
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

I still do not like the 2-whistle mechanic. It's not because of the trail but the lead. On a FT, I actually backed out of the lane opposite table in a 3-whistle game last night.

I had a run of about 3 2-whistle games and I guess it rubbed off. My partners had a good laugh and I was embarrassed.

For years, I have gone tableside as lead on a FT whether it is 2-whistle or 3-whistle. Now they change it on me. I want it changed back!
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
I still do not like the 2-whistle mechanic. It's not because of the trail but the lead. On a FT, I actually backed out of the lane opposite table in a 3-whistle game last night.
I think this is less noticeable than a Trail who is used to 2-whistle reporting a foul and then running across the court, only to wave to C and turn around.
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

2/3 man guys

When you're working both systems, I think it's easier to use the old method in 2-man... the lead is much more accustomed to staying table-side.

Here in Nebraska, we've been given permission to use either mechanic in 2-man, our association is reverting to the old method...
Old Fri Dec 25, 2009, 10:38am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
... I think they feel like they have to be more reasonable if you're standing closer to them.
Do the coaches act any differently in the 2nd half when you are no longer standing reasonably close to them after you call fouls on their defense?
Old Fri Dec 25, 2009, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Last weekend, I worked three MS "tourney" games with a guy from across the Columbia river in Washington state. They are using the new FT mechanic there for two person games while here in Oregon, we are not. The games were in my state. Neither of us thought about discussing it prior to our first game, so when the first FT occurred, we both went to the table side (him at trail, me at lead). We then realized what had happened and kind of laughed about it. At the first timeout, we discussed it. He told me he would prefer to use the old mechanic for two reasons. First, we were in Oregon and second, he thought the new mechanic sucked.

He said he hated being that close to the benches for that amount of time with no recourse to move. His other reason had to do with working two person mostly at lower level than V games where the clock operators were not necessarily experienced and didn't know to hit the horn at the right time to indicate a sub, so he would always have his back to the subs when they wanted to check in and they would have to yell at him to come in. He said there were quite a few times subs didn't get to come in properly because of this. He said in these cases, his partner at lead couldn't see the subs from where he stood because the players along the lane were in his sight line.

When we were done with all three games, he thanked me for letting him have the opportunity to use the "old" mechanic and said he wished his assn. had never adopted the new one.

Comments?
The biggest problem I see is that officials accustomed to 3-person will tend to hang out near the division line DURING free throws in 2-man meaning that the lead ends up with all seven players on the lane line and the shooter.

I still MUCH prefer the old mechanic -- I much prefer to be facing the scorer's table for subs, communicating number of shots, etc. The coaches still have a chance to, uh, ask for clarification as soon as I report the foul.

Among other things, the trail was much more likely to be able to help out on free throws in the old mechanic.
Old Fri Dec 25, 2009, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Do the coaches act any differently in the 2nd half when you are no longer standing reasonably close to them after you call fouls on their defense?
Actually yes, I have noticed on occasion that they get more chirpy when you get further away from them in the second half. I had to give a coach the stop sign the other day in this situation.

Nothing scientific, just a general observation about the new mechanic.
Old Fri Dec 25, 2009, 11:31am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Actually yes, I have noticed on occasion that they get more chirpy when you get further away from them in the second half. I had to give a coach the stop sign the other day in this situation.

Nothing scientific, just a general observation about the new mechanic.
I've only worked one 2-man game this year. I had the opposite. In the first half I had to deal with a chirpy coach. In the 2nd half I didn't hear any comments from that coach.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Dec 25, 2009 at 05:11pm.
Old Fri Dec 25, 2009, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

We've been using this mechanic for a couple of years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
We're using it.

I'm liking it.

I like that coaches don't have to yell across the floor. They have been ,for the most part, showing the ability to have conversations while I'm tableside. It seems to have cut down on hooting and hollaring when I'm close to them.

The subs issue is just a quick glance and away we go.

All in all I vote to keep it....so far.
I don't like it. I understand the reasoning. 1.) It gets the trail use to going table side like they will in three man. 2.) Better communication with the coaches.

My responses....

1.) Although the trail is using the same mechanic in two man as in three, the lead administering the free throw is not. He is now backing out opposite table. In three man he would be going table side. So we change the mechanic to help the trail but we now have the lead doing something different. We help one while hurting the other in my opinion.

2.) Standing by the coaches isn't necessarily going to improve communication. It just places you closer to the coach. Now they don't have to yell.