The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   New FT mechanic (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56076-new-ft-mechanic.html)

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 23, 2009 06:42pm

New FT mechanic

Last weekend, I worked three MS "tourney" games with a guy from across the Columbia river in Washington state. They are using the new FT mechanic there for two person games while here in Oregon, we are not. The games were in my state. Neither of us thought about discussing it prior to our first game, so when the first FT occurred, we both went to the table side (him at trail, me at lead). We then realized what had happened and kind of laughed about it. At the first timeout, we discussed it. He told me he would prefer to use the old mechanic for two reasons. First, we were in Oregon and second, he thought the new mechanic sucked.

He said he hated being that close to the benches for that amount of time with no recourse to move. His other reason had to do with working two person mostly at lower level than V games where the clock operators were not necessarily experienced and didn't know to hit the horn at the right time to indicate a sub, so he would always have his back to the subs when they wanted to check in and they would have to yell at him to come in. He said there were quite a few times subs didn't get to come in properly because of this. He said in these cases, his partner at lead couldn't see the subs from where he stood because the players along the lane were in his sight line.

When we were done with all three games, he thanked me for letting him have the opportunity to use the "old" mechanic and said he wished his assn. had never adopted the new one.

Comments?

APG Wed Dec 23, 2009 07:02pm

As it's been said many times earlier, Texas has been going table side in two person for a while now. A couple of points:

1. I actually like being close to the bench areas. It's easier for me to communicate with coaches when the need arises.

2. After you get used to being table side, checking for subs becomes almost instinctual. The only real time there's a problem is on the made last free throw, but a quick glance as you start in transition helps get those last subs that sprint to the table. As far as the lead having trouble seeing subs at the table, I don't really have this issue and I'm pretty short as far as officials go.

grunewar Wed Dec 23, 2009 07:04pm

I am still trying to adapt to being table-side and don't mind the glance over the shoulder. I think the biggest problem I have (sub-V and Rec) is that the subs ARE NOT at the table when you glance back there and then the table tries to get your attention and the coaches try the steady stream of players from the bench to the table, etc., etc. I know we don't have to let them in the game....but, the parade of subs at the sub-V level sux!

Chess Ref Wed Dec 23, 2009 07:34pm

Norcal

We're using it.

I'm liking it.

I like that coaches don't have to yell across the floor. They have been ,for the most part, showing the ability to have conversations while I'm tableside. It seems to have cut down on hooting and hollaring when I'm close to them.

The subs issue is just a quick glance and away we go.

All in all I vote to keep it....so far.:)

Freddy Wed Dec 23, 2009 07:51pm

How Close is Too Close?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 645351)
. . . He said he hated being that close to the benches . . .

Some might feel uncomfortable being "that close to the benches", but it might not be the fault of the mechanic, but of the implimentation of it.
Actually, if the trail on a free throw was in a position to observe both the free thrower's feet and the two upper lane spaces opposite the lane, he wouldn't necessarily be "that close to the benches" after all.
Most of the guys I've heard complaining about this are way out by the sideline, far to far away from being able to view what they need to observe as trail during a free throw.
Maybe we could call on Billy Mac would put a dot on the rocketship diagram to illustrate this proper position. Unless the diagram is inaccurate in its proportions, the trail wouldn't be "that close to the benches" afterall.
Anybody else sense this?

bas2456 Wed Dec 23, 2009 08:28pm

I don't mind it. I personally haven't had any problems with coaches talking to me after calling a foul on his/her team. The only time I had a problem with a coach was while I was walking to the table to report the foul.

I've gotten in the habit of glancing at the table at every potential sub opportunity, so it's no big deal to me to look behind me at the table when I'm in T.

That's just me though...

Back In The Saddle Wed Dec 23, 2009 08:48pm

We're using it.

I have had no negative bench/coach issues with being that close. In fact, I had a rather positive one just last night as a coach was able to get something off his mind while he had my ear.

The subs issue hasn't been that much of an issue. You get used to looking. The L helps out.

What I don't like about it is that it feels like we go lengthy stretches of time without switching. Perhaps it's because the same team tends to run the same plays, which lead to the same fouls called by the same official which keeps him in the same spot. I've started to pre-game that if we haven't switched for two fouls in a row, we're going to switch regardless of the mechanic.

BillyMac Wed Dec 23, 2009 08:52pm

And I Get 10% ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 645361)
... the rocketship diagram ...

Now you're in trouble Freddy. Just changing uppercase letters to lower case letters, and making two words into one word, does not excuse you from copyright infringement. Back In The Saddle's legal people will be contacting your people on Monday morning. Back In The Saddle gave his people a four day weekend to celebrate Festivus.

"The Rocket Ship Diagram" © 2009, Back In The Saddle
The use of the phrase, "The Rocket Ship Diagram", without the express written consent of Back In The Saddle is strictly prohibited.

tjones1 Wed Dec 23, 2009 08:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 645370)
Back In The Saddle gave his people a four day weekend to celebrate Festivus.

What are you talking about? It's not Festivus!! :D

Freddy Wed Dec 23, 2009 09:09pm

To-May-To . . . To-Mah-To

Quote:

. . . changing uppercase letters to lower case letters, and making two words into one word . . .

I didn't say "Kleenex", I said "tissue". I didn't say "Bayer", I said "aspirin". I didn't say "Budweiser", I said "beer." I didn't say "Rocket Ship Diagram", I said "rocketship diagram."
Admittedly, I shouldn't have preceeded it with the definite pronoun "the". Besides, I don't know how to do the font with the little "c" in a circle.
How 'bout just put a dot on any old rocketshipdiagram you can cut and paste?

BillyMac Wed Dec 23, 2009 09:15pm

Happy Festivus ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 645373)
What are you talking about? It's not Festivus.

It certainly is. What else is celebrated on December 23?

Happy Festivus

To celebrate the holiday season, a donation has been made in your name to the Human Fund.

Festivus For The Rest Of Us

http://thm-a03.yimg.com/image/3b14cfc832063afe

tjones1 Wed Dec 23, 2009 09:22pm

My bad, Billy... I thought it had already passed!! Oops

Back In The Saddle Wed Dec 23, 2009 09:29pm

Quote:

Now you're in trouble Freddy. Just changing uppercase letters to lower case letters, and making two words into one word, does not excuse you from copyright infringement. Back In The Saddle's legal people will be contacting your people on Monday morning. Back In The Saddle gave his people a four day weekend to celebrate Festivus.

"The Rocket Ship Diagram" © 2009, Back In The Saddle
The use of the phrase, "The Rocket Ship Diagram", without the express written consent of Back In The Saddle is strictly prohibited.

I'm feeling particularly festive tonight, so I'll cut you in for 25% just this once. ;)

Mark Padgett Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 645368)
In fact, I had a rather positive one just last night as a coach was able to get something off his mind while he had my ear.

And this is a "positive" why? :confused: Plus, you're assuming that coaches have minds. ;)

Back In The Saddle Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:36pm

It was a positive because he was able to express his concern quietly, calmly, while it was still a lizard. It never had a chance to grow into a dragon.

But you got me on the "coaches have minds" thing :D