The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

BC violation on tipped pass by offense

Sideline inbound play. While in the front court, an offensive player makes contact with the ball on the inbounds pass and tips it into the back court, where he recovers it. BC violation?
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 12:13am
We don't rent pigs

No. In the play you describe team control was not established in the frontcourt.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 08:27am
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call ??? Mythbusters ...

During a throwin, even under a team’s own basket, if the throwin is deflected, tipped, or batted by an offensive player in the frontcourt to an offensive player in the backcourt; or after a missed field goal attempt or a missed foul shot attempt, if the ball is deflected, tipped, or batted by an offensive player in the frontcourt to an offensive player in the backcourt; these are not a backcourt violations. In both cases team control, a player holding or dribbling the ball, has not yet been established.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJW View Post
Sideline inbound play. While in the front court, an offensive player makes contact with the ball on the inbounds pass and tips it into the back court, where he recovers it. BC violation?
The only way I could see this being properly called a backcourt violation would be if the official deemed that said "tip" was the start of a dribble. If both feet were in the front court when the dribble started, then the touch for the second dribble in the backcourt would have constituted a violation.

Such an interpretation by the official would require that the official be certain that the dribble had actually started as opposed to a bat or tap of the ball without actually controlling the ball in the case of the dribble.

Certainly if the ball had bounced far away from the "tipper" this should not be considered the start of the dribble -- it bounced twice before being touched again, etc.
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Thanks I appreciate the feedback.
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
The only way I could see this being properly called a backcourt violation would be if the official deemed that said "tip" was the start of a dribble. If both feet were in the front court when the dribble started, then the touch for the second dribble in the backcourt would have constituted a violation.

Such an interpretation by the official would require that the official be certain that the dribble had actually started as opposed to a bat or tap of the ball without actually controlling the ball in the case of the dribble.

Certainly if the ball had bounced far away from the "tipper" this should not be considered the start of the dribble -- it bounced twice before being touched again, etc.
Why make OP something it's not? The situation is that it was tipped.
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Why make OP something it's not? The situation is that it was tipped.
Read my post and the initial post. Other than trying to stir up trouble, what would your point be???????
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
...trying to stir up trouble...
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 09:43pm
This IS My Social Life

More than a Tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
. . . The situation is that it was tipped.
Had one last Friday where I judged a situation "more than a tip"; I was confident in my call, but seek your verification.
In an attempt to rebound a missed shot, rebounder A1, from in front of his own basket, clearly "more than tipped" the rebound when he, while still in the air, with one hand pushed the ball back in an attempt to get it to A2 positioned near the top of the key. The ball went over A2's head and into his backcourt, after which A2 went and picked the ball up in his backcourt.
I whistled a backcourt violation, deeming A1's push of the ball to be player control, thus team control.
Given the definition of player control ("...when he/she is holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds"), was I correct?
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 09:47pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Given the definition of player control ("...when he/she is holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds"), was I correct?
Was he holding it? Was he dribbling it? If so, you were correct. If not, you were not correct. It's your call (pun intended).

If, when he "pushed" the ball, you thought it came to rest in his hand, then you probably had a "hold".
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 10:00pm
This IS My Social Life

While Watching Another "A Christmas Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
If, when he "pushed" the ball, you thought it came to rest in his hand, then you probably had a "hold".
In the midst of the action, I never considered, "Did the ball come to rest in his hand?" The immediate thought I had was, "Hey, he controlled that ball when he pushed it back toward his backcourt."
Having reviewed the definition of player control as a result of this thread, I was beginning to question the call. A momentary in-motion "rest" did occur -- again, he "more than tapped" the ball-he pushed it -- which seems to have fulfilled the definition.
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Had one last Friday where I judged a situation "more than a tip"; I was confident in my call, but seek your verification.
In an attempt to rebound a missed shot, rebounder A1, from in front of his own basket, clearly "more than tipped" the rebound when he, while still in the air, with one hand pushed the ball back in an attempt to get it to A2 positioned near the top of the key. The ball went over A2's head and into his backcourt, after which A2 went and picked the ball up in his backcourt.
I whistled a backcourt violation, deeming A1's push of the ball to be player control, thus team control.
If A1, one of his teammates, or his Head Coach had requested a time-out while the hand was in contact with the ball would you have granted it?
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 10:35pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
If A1, one of his teammates, or his Head Coach had requested a time-out while the hand was in contact with the ball would you have granted it?
I understand and appreciate your question. The actual time during which I deemed there to have been player control was too brief to have granted a request for a timeout.
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I understand and appreciate your question. The actual time during which I deemed there to have been player control was too brief to have granted a request for a timeout.
Then BY YOUR DETERMINATION player control was not established by A1. Therefore, there was no team control, so you made an incorrect decision in calling a backcourt violation.

See the point?
Old Fri Dec 25, 2009, 02:02am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The point is not whether it was feasible to actually have requested a TO during the short window of time; the question asked is wether there was such a window.

Consider this, if A's coach is requesting TO, repeatedly, during this process, would you have granted it. The point of Nevada's question is simple, unless there was a window, no matter how brief, during which a TO could be granted, then you never had player control. Without player control, there is no team control, and thus no BC violation.

A controlled tap does not give you player control. If he grabbed it and threw it, then you were right.

On this play, I'd err on the side of no control.